Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Body Roll- When does it help you, when does it hurt you? >

Body Roll- When does it help you, when does it hurt you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Body Roll- When does it help you, when does it hurt you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Smile Body Roll- When does it help you, when does it hurt you?

I want to start playing around w/ the roll centers on my yokomo, but I need some advice on where to start. I am on a high traction, tight carpet track. Most people would say less roll is better. Also, what about more roll in the front or visa versa?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 10-08-2001, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well, body roll is never a good thing. What you are thinking about is chassis roll. On carpet, less is usually better. What it is good for is low traction. What happens is this: pretend you are riding in a full size car. When you go around a turn, the car leans toward the outside of the turn. Well, that puts more weight on the outside tires. In R/C, that translates into more bite on the outside tires. On dusty parking lots, I have run as light as 25wt oil and green and silver springs on my TC3 (some of the softest) to make my chassis "roll" more. It puts more of the weight on the outside tires and makes the car track better. On carpet, traction is usually not a problem. The reason for not letting it roll is because it slows you down. When the car rolls, it unweights the inside wheels and in extreme cases can cause the diffs to unload and tires to spin. Increasing the chassis roll may suit your style of driving, but if your car is hooked up now, don't mess with it.
Old 10-08-2001, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I know...What really happens on carpet, is that since there is so much traction, in transferring weight to the outside tire, you loose more traction than you gain.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2001, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

The good thing about chassis roll, is it gives extra weight on the outside wheel, therefor more traction. As mentioned above, it's only to a certain limit, where the inside wheel lift off.

But I think the downside is a little different than explained above; It takes time to transfer weight from one side to another, and thats the reason for the laps go down, when there's a lot of chassis roll. In other words, the less chassis roll, the more responsive the chassis is.

I usually set the camber links for as little chassis roll as possible. Then I work with tires, springs and shock oil. At last, I sometimes adjust the camber links for fine tuning. Lately that was needed in the back, because it tends to spin out. This method works fine on carpet.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

... i guess you could use some body roll/chassis roll if your car is twichy on high speed.

Last edited by stik; 10-08-2001 at 11:59 PM.