Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Comming back to R/C, Help needed! >

Comming back to R/C, Help needed!

Comming back to R/C, Help needed!

Old 10-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Comming back to R/C, Help needed!

For the past few months now i've been thinking i want to get involed in r/c racing again. I used to do it afew years ago when the Tamiya TA-03 was the best tamiya around. I was club champion and 3rd at state titles.

Since i've been out of the game awhile now i don't really know what's what and was wanting some help to get a good car to start off with. I've went to my local R/C club and watched one night and saw afew guys using the HPI Pro 4 (i like the idea of shaft driven).

What is the difference between shaft and belt driven?

Is the HPI Pro-4 a good car to start out with (again...hehe)

What are other cars i should be looking at?

I've also read the TA-05 is a decent. Does anyone know how it is?

Thankyoufor your help,

Gizmo
Old 10-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Having a Pro4 and nothing else as high-tech, you probably can't use my biased opinion, but here it goes. The Pro4 is a great, high quality car that can take abuse. The main difference between belt and shaft, is that shaft has amazing acceleration, while the belt's changing tension makes acceleration much smoother, and less harsh. When it comes down to shaft vs. belt, it's just personal preference. I do have a HPI Pro2, which is a belt car, and I can definately tell the difference in acceleration. It's much more direct with shaft drive. As for what cars you should be looking at- I know this really doesn't help your decision, but look at all of them. Any of the commonly named cars on this forum are all more than capable, the newest design being the Hot Bodies Cyclone. All the cars have their own forums on here, so you can read up about each. But a big point that is always said with questions like this is parts support! Make sure your hobby shop has parts. Lucky for me, my LHS has nothing for touring cars, only monster trucks, so I could pick whatever I wanted. I picked up a used Pro4 on here, and couldn't be more happy. The car is very nimble, but planted. If you look at other cars and still decide you like the Pro4, check out this car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Pro4-with-No...QQcmdZViewItem
It includes race quality things are an AMAZING price. I am not the seller, so I don't know anything about it other than what's in the listing. But I suggest you take a GOOD, HARD look at that deal. I bought my car as a roller for 225. But who knows, you may find a design you like better from some other company. And ask around at your track to see if you can turn a few laps with someones car. It doesn't hurt to drive it before you buy it... But good luck with whatever you pick!
-Josh
Old 10-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

If you're in for shaft cars,then you must be prepared not to crash,cause shaft drive do not have any play in their tranmission thus giving shaft drive cars instant accleration when the trigger is gunned,downside during a crash is you may strip the bevel gears.
This isn't the case for belt cars where the belts can stretch and flexible enough to absorp the impact of the crash.

But the Pro 4 is a very good car.If you thnk a shaft car is for you,I recommand the Pro 4 Hara edition.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

And if you can get a metal bevel gear, the only gear left to strip is the small one, which is much beefier than the big one. I've had quite a few meets with the boards, and my gears have yet to fail me.
-Josh
Old 10-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanx for the advice, keep it comming!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben.C
If you're in for shaft cars,then you must be prepared not to crash,cause shaft drive do not have any play in their tranmission thus giving shaft drive cars instant accleration when the trigger is gunned,downside during a crash is you may strip the bevel gears.
This isn't the case for belt cars where the belts can stretch and flexible enough to absorp the impact of the crash.

But the Pro 4 is a very good car.If you thnk a shaft car is for you,I recommand the Pro 4 Hara edition.
Dude...I dunno what shaft-drive cars you've wrecked...but I've put about 5 or 6 TC3's through various levels of hell and have yet to see a shaft strip and pop a bevel gear. Thats why there's about 2mm of fore-aft play in them.

Besides...if you're worried about how well your car can take repeated head-ons into the wall, I don't think this may be the hobby for you...
Old 10-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ~AR~ Gizmo
For the past few months now i've been thinking i want to get involed in r/c racing again. I used to do it afew years ago when the Tamiya TA-03 was the best tamiya around. I was club champion and 3rd at state titles.

Since i've been out of the game awhile now i don't really know what's what and was wanting some help to get a good car to start off with. I've went to my local R/C club and watched one night and saw afew guys using the HPI Pro 4 (i like the idea of shaft driven).

What is the difference between shaft and belt driven?

Is the HPI Pro-4 a good car to start out with (again...hehe)

What are other cars i should be looking at?

I've also read the TA-05 is a decent. Does anyone know how it is?

Thankyoufor your help,

Gizmo
I have a sweet Nearly Brand new Yokomo LCG shaft drive wonder. The car kit isn't available till the end of the month or even next month...
Here is the link to the sales page, http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...90#post1865490
It has the best hop ups already included and is super easy to work on.
All parts are available at www.speedtechrc.com and he ships same day if ordered before 3:30PM PST
Let me know,
-Shookie <><
Old 10-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Soviet
Dude...I dunno what shaft-drive cars you've wrecked...but I've put about 5 or 6 TC3's through various levels of hell and have yet to see a shaft strip and pop a bevel gear. Thats why there's about 2mm of fore-aft play in them.

Besides...if you're worried about how well your car can take repeated head-ons into the wall, I don't think this may be the hobby for you...

I believe he is talking about the Tamiya EVO cars!, we have three EVOIII's and stripping the front one way ring gear is the only problem we have ever had with them.