Wiki Posts
Search

Explain "Threshold"??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Explain "Threshold"??

ok, I have a vague idea of what it is, but ive been trying to follow the GP3300 forum, and im wondering why .03 during inital charge, and .02 during repeak?
Im more curious as to how those numbers were picked in the first place and how it makes a difference.

now just a question for those who have tried them:
SMC vs. Worldclass
Im leaning towards Worldclass, but Ive only ever used Trinity and have been beaten by SMC.

Thanks
Nate
Old 10-13-2002, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

threshold is the drop in milivolts peak detection chargers look for to determine if a pack has been charged to its max voltage. ie when a pack is charging the voltage will continually increase then once it reaches its max voltage it will begin to drop, the voltage threshold lets you adjust how sensitive you want this to be. the lower the value the more sensitive. most panasonics are fussy and do not like to be over charged at all that is why they tell you to use a much lower threshold setting than you would for sanyos. with nimh technology they have found using much lower threshold settings yeild better results.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

btw the lower repeak value is just so you will not overcharge once again and i believe it will leave you with a higher overall voltage due to haveing a more sensitive theshold.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

excellent answer, thanks
That is kind of what I figured but was not sure.

Thanks again
Nate
Old 10-13-2002, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Spaz, wouldnt a .02 threshold be more dangerous to run than a .03? Am I correct in thinking that the lower the threshold the closer you are to be fully charged? I thought that you went to the .02 to get the max voltage out of the cell, do I have it bass-akwards here? Lower threshold (.07 for instance) would be safer to run then say .02 is what I'm thinking
Old 10-13-2002, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

well the higher the threshold value the more current the charger will pump into the cells before it detects a peak.so the better of a chance you have in overcharging the cells.

Last edited by Jarrod Langlois; 10-13-2002 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:14 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Fully charged is 0v drop..ie. peak voltage. It takes longer to go from peak voltage to a 0.07v drop than a 0.02v drop......thats what he threshold is......

You can do an experiment...set some SMH on 0.07v and measure the temp! then do it at 0.02v
Old 10-13-2002, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

so I wanna do initial charge at .03 and then repeak before my race @.02
now, I have already sold all my SMH and 3000H batts for my season is over, but next season I will be racing 4wd sedan and 2wd mod truck. I am looking at GP3300 or Sanyo if they are out by then. would I charge them the same way??

thanks