Wiki Posts
Search

ESC Interference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default ESC Interference?

hi there, i don't know if anyone can help me but my gt7 esc is causing my radio system to glitch. i am running a novak xxl reciever and a futaba radio system and every time i try to put my reciever within 2 inches of my speed control it starts to glitch(with the motor running). i have taken the reciever and moved it around the chassis (with the motor running) and every time it is near the esc it starts to glitch bad. i have it mounted in a X-ray t1fk, and the way the chassis is laid out i have to either put the reciever by the speed control beside the esc or on the servo, which isn't ideal. i have tried the standard reciever and a different motor and i still have the problem. i have put aluminum foil between the two and it helped a little, but it still glitches every once in a while. i don't know if this is a common problem with the gt7, and if it is fixable. i had a similar layout in my tc3 (same electronics) and never had a problem. i hope someone can help. thanks keith
Old 10-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

anybody?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is any part of the antenna touching any metal or carbon fibre parts? Or graphite? If it is, this could be part of the problem.

See if someone in your area has a spektrum reciever. That could narrow down the problem as they are not supposed to hear the car noises in terms of the electrical stuff.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Has there ever been any damage sustained to the esc?

I once had an esc that had some water get in it. It seemed to work fine afterward, but my car had a lot glitching. After hooking it up to a machine from Nomadio, I discovered that the esc was actually emitting a frequency that would interfere with the radio signal (this was abnormal for the esc I had, a lrp 7.1v).
Old 10-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

as far as i can tell there is no contact with the antenna and metal or carbon fiber. i usually take a peice of large shrink wrap and put it around the exposed antenna wire to make sure it doesn't have contact with anything. i have tried to take the reciever loose, of the chassis, and move it around while the motor was running and moved it around the chassis and as it starts to get closer to the esc it starts to glitch. so it must be the speed control, right? if i had a different esc i would try it, but i don't. i am not sure if this is normal of the gt7? as far as speed control damage, i guess it is possible. i had the large capacitor get dented one time but i replaced it soon after. i have noticed the bottom of the new one has bulged out some recently and i am not sure why or if this could be part of the problem? i'm not sure what the function of this is, but i thought it affected the speed control under breaking. thanks for the help and any more will be appreciated.

keith
Old 10-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If the bottom has bulged out, you might have overheated it. See if any of the other local racers have some equipment that you can try out. You can just bench test it so you don't have to take it out on the track. If everything works, leave the antenna down and walk away about 50-75 feet. If it works from that distance with the antenna down, you're good.
Try it with as much different equipment as you can. Motor's, ESC's, Receivers, servo's. You'll narrow it down that way.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

problem solved! i installed a new gtx this weekend and the glitch went away. evidently the gt7 was releasing some sort of interference. i wonder if it would be worth wild to send it back to novak. i'm not sure if they can fix this problem. thanks for the help

keith
Old 10-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
Is any part of the antenna touching any metal or carbon fibre parts? Or graphite? If it is, this could be part of the problem.

See if someone in your area has a spektrum reciever. That could narrow down the problem as they are not supposed to hear the car noises in terms of the electrical stuff.
I don't know what happen with my car....... It glitches to full throttle The full throttle glitch ONLY exist during the first 1 minute playing ( I guess it only glitch when the battery is full ).

My ESC is LRP QC2 and Receiver Futaba PCM R113ip. My receiver is insulated by alluminium foil on the side, bottom and underneath. All equipments are new.

I also have insulated the wire antenna with heat shrink tube at location where the antenna wire touch the graphite. I suspect either the Rcvr or LRP QC2 is the culprit Please see the photo for examination.

What do you suggest ?
Attached Thumbnails ESC Interference?-bd-049x.jpg  
Old 10-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asw7576
I don't know what happen with my car....... It glitches to full throttle The full throttle glitch ONLY exist during the first 1 minute playing ( I guess it only glitch when the battery is full ).

My ESC is LRP QC2 and Receiver Futaba PCM R113ip. My receiver is insulated by alluminium foil on the side, bottom and underneath. All equipments are new.

I also have insulated the wire antenna with heat shrink tube at location where the antenna wire touch the graphite. I suspect either the Rcvr or LRP QC2 is the culprit Please see the photo for examination.

What do you suggest ?
make sure That the slots for the batteries have been sealed with CA glue. A raw edge there will cause a glitch. Make sure you use at least three pieces of servo tape for your receiver and ESC . make sure the caps on the motor are good if not replace caps or replace motor.

If glitch is still there get a YOKOMO noise filter, use the two part shielding that it come with for the reciver ( not aluminum foil ) After all this you should be glitch free

below you will see one installed on a Xray fk

to get one click on this link
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...nid=64&id=2193
Attached Thumbnails ESC Interference?-dscf0097.jpg  

Last edited by howard hudson; 10-17-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Tech Champion

I like the choke system of yours ......, that choke is for ESC wire or Steering Servo wire ?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Replacing the capacitor on the GT7 could help. I had a mate who had a glitching problem with his GT7, and as soon as he replaced the cap. all his glitching problems were gone.

Also, are you using an AM system?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Team Duratrax
Replacing the capacitor on the GT7 could help. I had a mate who had a glitching problem with his GT7, and as soon as he replaced the cap. all his glitching problems were gone.

I'm using Futaba PCM, btw, are you refering to the big capacitor ?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Team Duratrax

True, my friend also had the same cause, the cap has some dent and insulator comes off, might be some short circuit inside it.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

I'm using Futaba PCM, btw, are you refering to the big capacitor ?
Yes, that big capacitor that is separated from the ESC.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Tech Initiate

What do you suggest ?
I ever have this kind of probs, I use JR Receiver R300 with Sanwa VRX and GTX esc.

where did you put aluminum foil insulator? inside that receiver? I can't see on your BD,

1st, in my case, after check wiring, antenna, motor condition, etc. thoroughly, I found out that when I check / open receiver casing thera are some small rock / debris nested inside this behind the receiver PCB and I think cause random internal short circuit on it> glitch,

Please you may check inside the receiver casing.

2nd, easy way > have you try put other motor, if then OK then check the prev. motor.
sometimes :
- rotor comm are in bad condition, long time no lathe or forget clean up the groove after lathe (FREQUENTLY).
- blown out motor capasitor (3 pcs on endbell) (SOMETIMES).
- blown out schottky diode (RARELY) due to mis connection when brea in brushes.

strange glitch can occurs on full batt condition almost sure due to big arcing brush vs comm (due to bad comm condition..) that can't be absorbed by the (damaged) motor capasitor..

3rd, if 1st and 2nd OK, QC2 is waterproof rite? whatever..
try switch to another ESC on that combo.. If OK then its the bug,

hope you find out the cure immediately save your BD from broken parts unnecessarily, goodluck..

sorry for long post..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.