Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shock positioning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Tech Addict

Default Shock positioning?

I have a question that I am sure people have talked about before. What is the effect of the shocks when placing them in different holes on the shock towers? I know that this plays a factor on how the car’s shocks work, but how? I have attached a picture with numbers on the shock tower. Can some one please explain this by numbers. The stock place on this car is the fourth hole.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Shock positioning?-shock-position.jpg  
Old 10-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhigga15
I have a question that I am sure people have talked about before. What is the effect of the shocks when placing them in different holes on the shock towers? I know that this plays a factor on how the car’s shocks work, but how? I have attached a picture with numbers on the shock tower. Can some one please explain this by numbers. The stock place on this car is the fourth hole.
Thanks

The more upright the shocks (i.e. hole 5) the stiffer the suspention. The more the shocks are layed down, the softer the suspention.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think of it as more or less efficient. The more vertical the shock is the less leverage the suspension arm has on the shock/spring. The more you lay the shock down the more leverage the arm has causing the shock/spring to act lazy.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

that's true
Old 10-10-2005, 09:12 AM
Tech Addict

This is looking much clearer...The shock act Lazy? What does that mean?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Leaning over shocks

I have always thought of it , as an effect on the progressive nature of the shock.

If you lean over the top of your shock on a touring car your will gain mechanical grip in the long sweeping corners due to making the shock initially softer in the first part of it's stroke before the suspension stifftens up. The cars weight is allowed to roll and put pressure on the outside tyres more.

However leaning over your shock too far would make the the shocks sluggish to react into chicanes where you want the car to roll from side to side quickly.

As always it's a trade off.

Best thing to do on your car is to try both extremes on a track that has both fast & slow bends and also a chicane.

Get to know how the car feels at both extremes, don't forget to re-set your ride height each time.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhigga15
This is looking much clearer...The shock act Lazy? What does that mean?
I don't like to think of it as harder or softer because you need to factor in time. Lazy means the shock re-acts slower to change. So if the rear of you car is loose you can lay the shock down giving the tire more time to bite. Research how the weight shifts on a car. Like when you on the gas the weight shifts to the rear tires...when you braking the weight on shifted forward. You need to understand that first.

Bad example:

Strap on some roller stakes with no suspension and really hard wheels (like if your shocks are upright). Go full speed and turn. You going to spin/slide out and fall...now strap on some skates with rubber tires and suspension(shocks layed down). Go full speed and turn. The tires will side-roll and the suspension will compress before you slide giving you more time to balance.

It's all about balance on these cars...
Old 10-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mark240973
I have always thought of it , as an effect on the progressive nature of the shock.

If you lean over the top of your shock on a touring car your will gain mechanical grip in the long sweeping corners due to making the shock initially softer in the first part of it's stroke before the suspension stifftens up. The cars weight is allowed to roll and put pressure on the outside tyres more.

However leaning over your shock too far would make the the shocks sluggish to react into chicanes where you want the car to roll from side to side quickly.

As always it's a trade off.

Best thing to do on your car is to try both extremes on a track that has both fast & slow bends and also a chicane.

Get to know how the car feels at both extremes, don't forget to re-set your ride height each time.
This is true. Keep in mind that you can get rid of the "lazy" feeling by using thinner shock oil and/or more piston holes to increase dampening speed when the shocks are layed down more.

This type of setup is generally not good for bumpy surfaces. However, I've found that using stiffer springs that are more layed down can get rid of traction rolling without having to soften the springs up and loose corner speed. The stiff progressive rate spring setup will let the shocks soak up initial steering inputs that can cause traction rolling, but the springs will tighten up nicely and keep the car from rolling too much and losing corner speed, especially in fast sweeping corners. This is assuming that you have already tried to get rid of traction rolling by using minimum ride height, a low center of gravity (and truing tires to a smaller diameter if you're running foams).
Old 10-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

More upright-softer

More inclinded- harder

Go to the track and try it!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andrew_Carter
More upright-softer

More inclinded- harder

Go to the track and try it!
I thought it was the other way around

Charles
Old 10-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Not according to russ chaz!

Im not going to argue with him,hes blitz 19t this year!

BRCA 19T Champion!
BTCC 19T Champion!
KO GP 2005 19t Champion!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
I thought it was the other way around

Charles
Sorry Andrew, but it is the other way around. Take a look at page 41 of the Hudy Setup Book.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's probably why he put the sneaky face after his statement
Old 10-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've always found from experience on the track that having the shock more upright is more 'stable' and laid down seems to give you less grip (rear), steering (front) forgetting the words harder and softer etc
Old 10-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by teamgp
Sorry Andrew, but it is the other way around. Take a look at page 41 of the Hudy Setup Book.

Whats you theroy behind it then? The hudy set up book says its the other way round so thats correct?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.