Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quebec Onroad National - May 1,2,3 - Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm all registered and hotel is booked! Come on Hanulec!
Old 03-12-2015, 03:07 AM
Tech Addict

Just out of curiosity, pan cars, that's 12th or 10th (WGT)?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by pphaneuf
Just out of curiosity, pan cars, that's 12th or 10th (WGT)?
Yes it is 12th.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rc-demon
Yes it is 12th.
12th scale stock is only 17.5T back home?!? Damn, sounds relaxing!
Old 03-12-2015, 06:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes sir 17.5!

here are the rules on Pancar

http://www.circuitctsh.com/reglements.php#sec3
Old 03-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

But the track is quite a bit smaller than those I've seen on the other side of the pond!

Martin Paradis
Old 03-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rhodopsine
But the track is quite a bit smaller than those I've seen on the other side of the pond!
From the picture here, I'd venture that this track is at least twice as big as a local track near where I am, possibly even three times, and stock 12th there is 13.5T.

It's not for the faint of heart, though, me, I run GT12 there (12th scale and 13.5T as well, but heavier, with narrower tires, and GT style shells, so not nearly as twitchy or quick).
Old 03-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

But I'm noticing this in general: the US and Canada are very conservative with the motors, continental Europe can't get enough speed, and the UK is right in between.

On the continent, stock 12th is 10.5T, and stock touring cars is 13.5T. Here, 17.5T is popular in touring cars, but nobody ever asks for anything slower, so there's nothing like Can-Am/USGT. People who start usually do GT12, which is easier than touring cars, and a lot cheaper.

The highest motor wind I see here is 21.5T, in Formula 1 cars (with 2S batteries, and a 1050 gram minimum weight, so it's pretty fast still).

I'm building a 10th scale pan car at the moment, here they're on 10.5T and boost is allowed...
Old 03-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

The thing is that in Europe i.e. Germany has no speed limit... that is why they run 10.5 and lower
Old 03-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

From the picture here, I'd venture that this track is at least twice as big as a local track near where I am, possibly even three times, and stock 12th there is 13.5T.

It's not for the faint of heart, though, me, I run GT12 there (12th scale and 13.5T as well, but heavier, with narrower tires, and GT style shells, so not nearly as twitchy or quick).
Hey my friend,
thanks for keeping our post at the top of the list

We do have a reason why we run 17.5 in 1/12. For the past 4-5 years, the only race track who was in a radius of 2 hours drives of Montreal (biggest city in Quebec) was not able to let 1/12 race. The track was a banked oval with two big bump in the infield and the 1/12 was clearly not able pass on it.

Last time we try, we were running the 1/12 at 5mm ... So 1/12 was pretty dead here. Look at my tire at the time :

When we started the club at St-Hyacinthe, we re-lauched a 1/12 class. But we all started from zero. We were a bunch of people who never touch a 1/12 car or never touch a RC car. The motor was a 13.5T.

For helping new people in the hobby and 1/12, we have switch the motor to 17.5 ... it's easier to drive and less tough on the body

It's more easier for people to just start racing and have fun ... and fun factor is the first thing who bring people at the track every week !
Old 03-13-2015, 02:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rzein
The thing is that in Europe i.e. Germany has no speed limit... that is why they run 10.5 and lower
And no potholes!
Old 03-13-2015, 03:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Penz316
Hey my friend,
thanks for keeping our post at the top of the list
Haha! No worries.

We do have a reason why we run 17.5 in 1/12. For the past 4-5 years, the only race track who was in a radius of 2 hours drives of Montreal (biggest city in Quebec) was not able to let 1/12 race. The track was a banked oval with two big bump in the infield and the 1/12 was clearly not able pass on it.

Last time we try, we were running the 1/12 at 5mm ... So 1/12 was pretty dead here.
I used to live in Montreal (was even born in St-Hyacinthe, in fact!), but I only got back into R/C when I moved here, in London (UK), less than a year ago, so that's why I don't really know the tracks or what classes people race back in Québec.

I think I even used to race with Eric Salvas and his brother? Used to race Team Losi Junior-Two and JRX-Pro with EDM bodies on carpet and dirt ovals... That was over 20 years ago!

5mm on a 1/12, yeah, that's not the best!

When we started the club at St-Hyacinthe, we re-lauched a 1/12 class. But we all started from zero. We were a bunch of people who never touch a 1/12 car or never touch a RC car. The motor was a 13.5T.

For helping new people in the hobby and 1/12, we have switch the motor to 17.5 ... it's easier to drive and less tough on the body

It's more easier for people to just start racing and have fun ... and fun factor is the first thing who bring people at the track every week !
That kind of situation is exactly what GT12 is about here, and it's pretty big! A Schumacher SupaStox GT with the S1 chassis is quite cheap, tough as nails, and competitive at the club level, and they use GT-style shells with less aero, usually made of thicker Lexan (so more durable)...

They're half the price of a 1/12 kit (and comes with tires), which themselves are almost half the price of a good touring car kit (which will use 2S batteries twice the price of 1S ones), so for someone new to the hobby, it's a reasonably affordable way to get started. And it's quite competitive, with some of the big 1/12 racers participating in the national series, and some really close racing: http://www.results.trcc.org.uk/BRCA/GT/h7r1res.htm

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Looks like a really nice track you've got there, makes me wish I had gotten back into R/C a bit earlier, when I was still in Montreal! Should be a really good event, have fun!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hey pphaneuf did you race in Granby when you raced those EDM cars way back when? That class was so cool to watch. That was about the years I started racing. My dad got me into pan cars with a Bolink LTO but I was so jealous of those EDM cars! You should see the EDM bodies they're running now in St-Hyacinthe (oval) with a Traxxas Slash 2wd chassis.

Back to the subject, this is gonna be one of the biggest on-road events in the province in years with the kind of facility St-Hyacinthe has got now. You owe it to yourself to check it out!
Old 03-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Outlaw 44
Hey pphaneuf did you race in Granby when you raced those EDM cars way back when? That class was so cool to watch. That was about the years I started racing. My dad got me into pan cars with a Bolink LTO but I was so jealous of those EDM cars! You should see the EDM bodies they're running now in St-Hyacinthe (oval) with a Traxxas Slash 2wd chassis.
I did race at Granby, but just the one time, for a 1000 laps special race, that my team did win.

I feel a bit bad about that one, because I looked over the rules when I arrived, to check that there wasn't done additional restriction we didn't have at my home track... Turns out it was the opposite: there was no rules about the bodies, other than they had to be open-wheeled! So I tried the small off road shell that came with my Junior-2, and it was over 1 second a lap faster than my (big!) EDM shell... Way faster than anyone else!

I raced originally in St-Denis-sur-Richelieu (carpet and dirt), and my final season was a weird "unlimited" class (stock motors, width/length/weight limits, EDM bodies, everything else open!), at a weird track in Sorel (a tiny banked carpet oval!). At that last one, I won the season championship with a Composite Craft pan car, with an EDM body on top!

Now, I'm racing an Xray T4'15 in 17.5T blinky touring cars (but thinking of upgrading to 13.5T boosted), a Zen-Racing RSGT12, and waiting on an Xray X10 pan car, with a 10.5T boosted setup and a Montech M10 body (look it up, it's awesome!).

Originally Posted by Outlaw 44
Back to the subject, this is gonna be one of the biggest on-road events in the province in years with the kind of facility St-Hyacinthe has got now. You owe it to yourself to check it out!
I definitely would if I was around, but as I'm in England right now, that would be a 5 hours flight and a fair bit of money!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I did race at Granby, but just the one time, for a 1000 laps special race, that my team did win.

I feel a bit bad about that one, because I looked over the rules when I arrived, to check that there wasn't done additional restriction we didn't have at my home track... Turns out it was the opposite: there was no rules about the bodies, other than they had to be open-wheeled! So I tried the small off road shell that came with my Junior-2, and it was over 1 second a lap faster than my (big!) EDM shell... Way faster than anyone else!

I raced originally in St-Denis-sur-Richelieu (carpet and dirt), and my final season was a weird "unlimited" class (stock motors, width/length/weight limits, EDM bodies, everything else open!), at a weird track in Sorel (a tiny banked carpet oval!). At that last one, I won the season championship with a Composite Craft pan car, with an EDM body on top!

Now, I'm racing an Xray T4'15 in 17.5T blinky touring cars (but thinking of upgrading to 13.5T boosted), a Zen-Racing RSGT12, and waiting on an Xray X10 pan car, with a 10.5T boosted setup and a Montech M10 body (look it up, it's awesome!).

I definitely would if I was around, but as I'm in England right now, that would be a 5 hours flight and a fair bit of money!
The good ole days lol!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.