R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default CRC vs. Neyland II 20, 50510 Carpet

Hey Guys,

The high school I work at is looking to start an indoor R/C club in our schools gym. I know that Ozite, specifically, CRC racing carpet is the gold standard for indoor racing. Our school also participates in First Robotics. At the end of each regional event (3 days), FRC actually replaces the carpet . By pure fluke, our school won the carpet "lottery" and can take it home with us if we choose.

The carpet FRC uses is Philadelphia Commercial, Neyland II 20, 50510. My question is, has anyone tried this for racing cars on, and if so is it any good? I did some research and the specs on the CRC and FRC stuff is definitely different. Any input would be great!
vcode70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

Here are the specs of the Neylannd II carpet. Is there anything that jumps out why it wouldn't work? Thanks!!

Style
Neyland II 20 50510

Collection
None

Color
Cobble Hill 30752

Texture
Level Loop

Product Type
Broadloom

Fiber
90% Polypropylene / 10% Nylon

Backing
ClassicBacŪ

Dye Method
100% Solution Dyed

Tufted Weight
Old 03-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

The looped aspect makes me think it will be pretty low grip. The beauty of Ozite is the non-directional fibers which are encased in the backing. To make a loop of a nylon or synthetic fiber it has to stand up, which means it will then lay over. Makes me think it will be squirmy! I'm imagining the contact patch of the tire only contacting the tops of the loops...

AWD
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:03 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
The looped aspect makes me think it will be pretty low grip. The beauty of Ozite is the non-directional fibers which are encased in the backing. To make a loop of a nylon or synthetic fiber it has to stand up, which means it will then lay over. Makes me think it will be squirmy! I'm imagining the contact patch of the tire only contacting the tops of the loops...

AWD
I agree, anytime I have run on a looped carpet there has been traction problems. Also as the carpet wears the fibers will wind up on any rotating shaft and get in the bearings. It will work well if you run off road type cars on it with rubber tires though as it simulates dirt well. Just not good for cars designed for limited suspension travel.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

As crappy as the last batches of CRC Ozite has been I really hope someone finds a brand that could work just as well or better.

I know a track owner in our area that is look at what's used in Europe and Asia to try and bring that over to the states.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
Also as the carpet wears the fibers will wind up on any rotating shaft and get in the bearings.
We have five newer rolls of CRC Ozite at my club and after the end of a night my cars look they they ran over a cat. So it couldn't be any worse. We are looking for the black stuff Scotty uses at ETS.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
We have five newer rolls of CRC Ozite at my club and after the end of a night my cars look they they ran over a cat. So it couldn't be any worse. We are looking for the black stuff Scotty uses at ETS.
That's the same thing the tracks in my area are getting.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Any more info on the other carpet? We use CRC at our track and it's okay so far, but another track in the area says theirs is pretty much worn out after 6 months of racing.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
I agree, anytime I have run on a looped carpet there has been traction problems. Also as the carpet wears the fibers will wind up on any rotating shaft and get in the bearings. It will work well if you run off road type cars on it with rubber tires though as it simulates dirt well. Just not good for cars designed for limited suspension travel.
Thanks for the help guys! I forgot to mention that we will be running off road cars since it is what the school already has.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
Tech Master

Does anyone know what Scotty uses for the ETS races?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcode70 View Post
Thanks for the help guys! I forgot to mention that we will be running off road cars since it is what the school already has.
I'll tell you what we've discovered - don't use good, expensive carpet for off-road cars. The good carpet will get torn up quickly once vehicles start flipping over. The shock towers will cut right through the carpet. We cover our good carpet with a couple layers of cheaper stuff when we run off-road.

Also, you want to give consideration to what kind of tires (and traction compound if you use it) you are running as some are much rougher on carpet than others. We specify what tires and traction compound people can use.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Yeah don't use CRC for offroad. You'll just be ruining expensive carpet for no reason. Use the cheapest thing you can find that works.

The UK and much of europe uses Primafelt GT. Great stuff but I'm sure it would cost TONS to ship it to the US.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

According to this ETS race report it sounds like there are two versions of the black carpet.

Set out on an area 34m wide and 20m deep, this weekend sees the debut of the ETS’ newly purchased Azetx track system. Having successfully worked with the Polish company that manufacture the click together track system at the first two rounds of this season’s Euro Offroad Series, the ETS has acquired its own kit which will from this event on be used to create the track at all indoor carpet rounds of the series. Another new feature of the track is the use of black carpet. Having used black carpet the first time it visited Muelheim-Kaerlich but suffering gluing issues with the carpet, the black glue required for the dark surface struggling with the heat generated by the tyres, last year they reverted to the more traditional grey colour carpet more commonly seen at indoor racing. This year however thanks to the help of the organisers of the GP3F race in Longwy, France, the black carpet is back. Having run black carpet at their race for many years the MRC Longwy club helped the ETS organisers to source a much heavier version of the black carpet which is able to withstand the punishment it gets from the friction generated by the RIDE tyres.
malkiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

crc is trying a new manufacturer now. we ran on the new type carpet as a trial about three weeks ago. I was impressed with how for new carpet after about five hours of running on it the fuzz and debris on your car was not a problem.
grooved up quick and consistent traction.
get hold of Brian Wynn from crc as he was there taking pictures and monitoring how it worked
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I'll tell you what we've discovered - don't use good, expensive carpet for off-road cars. The good carpet will get torn up quickly once vehicles start flipping over. The shock towers will cut right through the carpet. We cover our good carpet with a couple layers of cheaper stuff when we run off-road.
Here in the UK most carpet tracks insist you use a shock mount protector to prevent the front end digging in and ripping the carpet. For those tracks that don't insist on protectors it is still worth fitting as if you roll the buggy will then slide over the surface rather than digging in and breaking the shock mount or shock.

these are made from lexan, although others are home made from corners of milk cartons.

It's what inspired the Schumacher moulded shock protectors on their newer cars.
Attached Thumbnails
CRC vs. Neyland II 20, 50510 Carpet-oop_2150.jpg  
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote