Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Getting back into it >

Getting back into it

Getting back into it

Old 02-27-2015, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Getting back into it

Hi,

I stopped racing 1/10 TCs years ago but the bug is returning and I'd like to get back into it.

Could you guys please give me a summary of what I've missed, what new stuff to go for etc? Brushless motors were something out of science fiction when I was racing, the same with LiPo batteries!

I still have my Yokomo MR4TC-BD, is that still a competent chassis or have all the electronic changes made it unusable?

What's the brushless equivalent of a stock motor?

I appreciate there's probably quite a bit that's gone on, and I think that's why I'm getting confused haha, but any help/guidance would be appreciated!

Rob
Old 02-27-2015, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rob

welcome back, this hobby always has a way to suck a person back in. as when you raced the best way is to go to your local track and see what people are running and what classes have the strongest support. same goes for the chassis, what is best supported will save time and money. getting back in after a few years away, brushless technology and lipo's are a thing of beauty, no more cutting comms, peeking ni-mh or even ni-cd if you were using them. as with all things........evolution is good

the old stock brushed motors are replaced by 17.5 brushless

hope this helps in some way
Old 02-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by uvxt
Hi,

I stopped racing 1/10 TCs years ago but the bug is returning and I'd like to get back into it.

Could you guys please give me a summary of what I've missed, what new stuff to go for etc? Brushless motors were something out of science fiction when I was racing, the same with LiPo batteries!

I still have my Yokomo MR4TC-BD, is that still a competent chassis or have all the electronic changes made it unusable?

What's the brushless equivalent of a stock motor?

I appreciate there's probably quite a bit that's gone on, and I think that's why I'm getting confused haha, but any help/guidance would be appreciated!

Rob
I love seeing this. I was there several years ago. I got out when brushless was just coming into the scene. I didn't want to be part of the rat race. The good news is NOW you can be competitive without being a "sponsored" driver getting the best batteries and motors. Also, the cars are tough and you don't have to buy 2 sets of foams every weekend to race. Rubber tires are the main reason I came back. I run USGT and VTA tires for over 1 year before they are worn out. Welcome Back!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kerry
Rob

welcome back, this hobby always has a way to suck a person back in. as when you raced the best way is to go to your local track and see what people are running and what classes have the strongest support. same goes for the chassis, what is best supported will save time and money. getting back in after a few years away, brushless technology and lipo's are a thing of beauty, no more cutting comms, peeking ni-mh or even ni-cd if you were using them. as with all things........evolution is good

the old stock brushed motors are replaced by 17.5 brushless

hope this helps in some way
Kerry,

Cool thank you very much! I'm excited to jump on the lipo wagon!

Will make a trip down to my local club with my antique equipment soon and see what's new! It's all moved so fast.

Does anyone know of a guide one the web or this forum for beginners getting into the hobby? I feel like I'm back at square one so it could be handy. I've just spent 30mins trying to work out why there's so many wires coming out of ESCs!

Many thanks
Rob
Old 02-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'd see if your local place runs VTA and if they can supply you with parts for that Yokomo. If so, id run VTA with the old rig with updated electrics (on the cheap).

get up to speed and see what class/group of people you want to race with... and then continue modernizing.