R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-09-2005, 07:25 AM   #61
Tech Apprentice

yeah nobody likes a crybaby. i spent more than $2000 already on my touring car hobby. better than spending it on those trading cards that are labeled as collectible crap. atleast these things move and hit something. i'd run an rc10 b4 against any ae buggy in the 80's anyday. if you can't afford it, just live in the outer of your means. does that sound right? get a credit card specifically for rc and use it at your lhs till he's fat and happy.
KillWency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:47 AM   #62
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yesterday I just sold my FTT3 for $100, I will be buying the FT T4 for $250, there is little difference between the 2 as I already had the dual disc slipper. The big thing is I am spoiled and have too much money to spend on my hobby, I also got a young kid into the sport at a price he could afford. Since I am old and slow, next year a kid will kick my ass with my old car and me having the best of everything will just help me loose by less. Price is relative to who you are and talent rules this sport, but the new cars will help some.
"we need to do at least 11.2 km/s to break earths orbit or almost the speed as Cam's car"

Neil Armstrong 1968
Cammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:51 AM   #63
Tech Initiate

You only live once so why not have fun while doing it! I must have spent thou$ands on rc since 1986. Get's more expensive everyday, but I don't complain. There are ways to get around paying full price, but sometimes you have to, that's if you really want the cool stuff. But it's up to you. Remember that saying? "Only you can prevent forest fires". So only you can decide if this is expensive or not.

Just wait for a couple of months and your'll find the latest on ebay or something for 1/2 the price(if you're lucky, hahah). A buddy of mine was selling his Yokomo BD for $250-built but still new.

Many people complain to much about chassis. I think it's cool that the companies are coming out with something new all the time. If not then we will get bored with the stuff we have. Then you have to think, the companies are not making you buy everything that they put out. only you can make that decision. Did I spell decision right? Haha. Be happy, go race and have fun! Okay, I hope all that make sense.
AKARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #64
Tech Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to is300zx

I guess you guys don't see the point I'm trying to make. Of course people will find a way to afford whatever it is they want to buy. That's what jobs and credit cards are for after all. The point is that touring cars cost are getting more and more expensive. Not only the kits but the accessories to run it and race it. Some may feel it more than others while others don't give a damn at all what they cost. But it is still rising no matter what. The prices will scare a lot of newcomers and even long time enthusiast. And not having newcomers is not good for the overall picture. The inflation that Apex is talking about does not reflect the fact that a lot of manufacturing and raw materials today come from Asia where cheap labors offsets the cost of the final kit. That's how companies are able to produce higher quality kits for those prices. And how can you have fun when you can't even afford to race? And how can you enjoy a hobby you can even afford to be in? No I'm not being a crybaby about it. Just pointing some stuff out to those who seems oblivious to it.

And by the way some studies shows that the saying "Only you can prevent forest fire" is actually detrimental to the forest and is actually the cause of large forest fires.

And odawg315 you forgot to factor in that number one selling car is not a cadillac but a japanese compact car. That means that the average people spend money to buy cars at is not at the price range of a BMW or cadillac. I don't know how old you are but if you can buy one with one year of salary it must mean you either live at home or have a very high income. Most of the population is not as fortunate to have either one.
is300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:17 PM   #65
Tech Regular
Default is300zx

I truely understand what your saying.
I used to be into racing pan cars then touring cars, and have seen cost escalate. having to purchase tuned stock motors that cost up to $50, replacing batteries often and have several sets of tires with all the colors of inserts. now the top of the line tc's run from $350 to $500.

But really, the guys that can afford the new trick stuff will purchase it all. However you can still compete at any budget you can afford. The equipment that makes the difference between the A main and the B are probably the motors and batteries. You don't have to get sucked into the hype, (ever done that at a big race?) you can still win with a molded TC3,4 ,yokomo cgm, etc. I would love to have the new tamiya 415mx but It would just sit on the shelf for most of the year.

I race now a couple of times a year and rcdrifting now about the same.
So what did I do? I got into mountain bike$. I've spent more on the bikes that I would ever have on rc equipment. I will never learn.

There is a budget and race package for everyone. anyone want to buy a couple of mountain bikes???
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #66
Tech Fanatic
Send a message via AIM to Sushi Man

You know what I think is the cray thing about his thread in less then 28 hours there are 3 pages, and alot of them say the same thing. Also as many said the material is not getting any better, that is not lways true, might be a s good material but stuff might be using more of a material like evo3, diffes were in plastic, now on the evo IV they are in Aluminum bulks, and also the money invested into making the car is also very high priced. Yes I do agree with the fact that they dont make enoguh medium class cars, I mean TB-02, TA-05, any maybe like the TC4 but thats it??? maybe the yokomo tub type SD but thats high end pretty much. YEah, haha I agree with the gas price thing, Its not like people are stopping their driving becuase of gas prices, I mean they have all these new big cars being produce that just eat your gas!!!!
Sushi Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #67
Tech Regular

Just my 2 cents.
After playing golf for the past 8 years, nearly getting a card on the Australian Tour (no sponsors) I can tell you RC is bloody cheap. I have spent a lot of money on my RC addiction but compare it to another hobby like golf.

At the club I was a member of there were all sorts of people playing, Men, Women, kids etc...
Membership= $2,000 a year (joining fee of $3,000) or play a decent public course on weekends for $80.00 a pop.
Equipment= $1,000 (for average gear, bag if and woods too) most people at my club had $3,000 set ups easily and that's just clubs and bag and of course there were people that spent more.
Golf Balls $30-120 for a dozen.
Golf Glove $15-40 depending.
$6,000 right there for membership and basic equipment + ongoing expense like balls, gloves, shoes etc.

RC on the other hand
In Australia a good kit $600.00
PSU $99
ESC $250
Radio $400
Charger $250
Tyre Warmers $99
Comm Lathe $200
Tyres $40
Motor $150
Batteries $225 for 4 packs.
$2200 odd dollars there + some ongoing expense like new tyres and brushes etc.

I reckon RC is cheap!

Last edited by WRXTC; 10-09-2005 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Forgot about batteries.
WRXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #68
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162

Holy cow! What kind of golf balls are you buying? The new ProV1's and ProV1X's are only $45. I don't know the exchange rate, but there's no way a US buck is worth almost 3 Aussie dollars.
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #69
Tech Regular

Golf equipment here is a hell of a lot more expensive than in the states. But this is turning off topic.

My point is RC is still cheaper than golf. And Golf is a hobby for most people too.
WRXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:10 PM   #70
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well we cna all agree that fro those who want to shell out the money to buy the most expensive stuff, they do. but how about for those who dont got the money but want the expensive stuff.

I have been into rc cars for about 3-4 years now. i started with a original hpi rs4 3 rtr( wat a mistake) and have gone through over 23 chassis' and im still goin. Ive noticed dat if u have the money to buy the goodies go ahead but if u dont learn how to get them.

Im the type of rc car lover that changes car if he gets bored. Thats why i chose to run my own little business.

What you do is start with a car that has good value and is well built. i would race this car for about 2-4 weeks and then trade it for the next car i want to race. i learned that i can actually save money to buy hop-ups. trust me theres always someone out there that will give u money for ur car and/or will trade the car u want for his.

I went from a rs4 3 to a tg10 then i got a sprint as a gift. i traded my tg10 for a trf414, then traded that for evo 3. i traded my sprint for a tl01 and then for a tt01. i got money left over. hopped the tt01 and sold it for 150. i got the 150 added 50 bucks from the side and i managed to buy my self a brand new NIB yokomo MR4TC with $80 worth of ho-ups and a rayspeed conversion. i raced that then sold it for a evo4 . i had a evo3 and 4, so i sold my 3 for a well tuned tb02. raced that and then traded it for a emaxx.

the story goes on and on, and im currently with a ta05 and a ta03f. i love the ta05. probably top 3 best handling car IMO.

if ur smart about how rc runs, u can always race watevar value car u want. if money is a problem, learn how to get the car u want without buying. thats wat i have experienced.

if u mind about the rc car being "used", i dont know then. i had a job in a small lhs working as a chassis builder. i basically built rc cars for those who didnt want to. i built about 60 or 70 rc cars. great time building them. this job kept me uptodate on how new rc cars change and are built.
crzydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:37 PM   #71
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To race with top-level equipment IS expensive. If folks encourage newcomers to start out with the latest and greatest then they are doing our hobby a great disservice.

As long as tracks encourage newcomers by offering "novice" classes to race in, plus recommending maybe last years cars, radios, etc...then the newcomer shouldn't find getting into RC too teribbly expensive.

Last point...To race well, you don't need alot of the junk thats sold to us these days anyhow.
"You don't get hurt racing little cars..."

Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:36 PM   #72
Tech Master

For me I think touring car prices are about there...Yes,high ended cars' prices has shot up a little.But they all include all the hop up parts that you need to buy if you buy it standard.

I think the equipment that need to run this hobby is getting quite expensive.Maybe due to infaltion over the years and foreign exchange rate changes also a factor.

But I do agree that IFMAR do something to keep cost low.

Just like FIA trying hard to keep the cost of Formula 1 lower...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:47 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Touring cars get more expensive because of increase in production cost. Top end cars used CNC aluminium parts all over the cars, especially bulkhead. Not to mention other graphite parts included. Of course you can find $300 plus new car, but all parts are mainly plastics. Imagine if you want to upgrade this car with bling-blings, it will cost you more than $500!!! Depends on the material used for the car, usually the price are reasonable. (Except Tamiya...)
Piyo Piyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:28 AM   #74
Tech Rookie
Send a message via Yahoo to Crosswindsracin
Default Supply and demand, methinks...

And besides - everything is becoming very hi-tech too!

Crosswindsracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:50 AM   #75
Tech Regular
Send a message via AIM to odawg315

Originally Posted by is300zx
And odawg315 you forgot to factor in that number one selling car is not a cadillac but a japanese compact car. That means that the average people spend money to buy cars at is not at the price range of a BMW or cadillac. I don't know how old you are but if you can buy one with one year of salary it must mean you either live at home or have a very high income. Most of the population is not as fortunate to have either one.

i think your missing my point, whats some people consider expensive is all in the eyes of the indavidule. i played paintball at a competative tournament level for 3yrs, i raced motorcycles in the ama for 4 yrs, and to me this hobby is way reasonable for the amount of pleasure i get from it and is much less painful when you crash!!! maybe some prices are a bit higher than they were 10 yrs ago, but what hasnt come up in price, including salaries... even for kids who may make min. wage, 10 yrs ago that was 3.35 an hour for a 15yr old to work, now a 15yr old in florida will make min. 6.15 an hour. thats almost double, if prices came up they certainly havnt doubled!!!

i agree with you about the jap sub compact, i have a mazda 3, just cuz i can afford a caddy or a bmw 3 series doesnt meant i have one, i just dont believe a car is worth that much money, after all it just gets me from point a to point b, it needs only to get 20mpg, run good have a good warranty and a descent stereo. i do live at home, my home. thats were i spend most of my time when im not working, thats were i spend most of my money, went so far as to have a road course poured out of concrete in my yard for my "testing" on my rc cars.

the implacation that people want to race on a budget just isnt true, trinity tried to do that with there t-spec class, wered that go, nowhere!!! people will always want the best stuff out, i know i do, if i lose i want it to be cuz i suck not my equipment, and to do that it costs money!!!
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote