R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Data loggers.

One of the core things to understand in racing is weight transfer and chassis dynamics.
Unfortunately, as we don't 'sit' in the car, we (or maybe just I) cannot judge perfectly what's happening in terms of weight transfer.

Is anyone aware of specific tools to measure the g-forces (simple data logger) to something more complex that can measure roll, suspension compression and many more parameters ?

Thank you !
MatJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Like this?

New project comes alive.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/inde...tegory&path=62
lpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Eagle Tree had some kind of data logging system. not familiar with it as I never used it.
Novak also used to have a system that was very basic but you got some info that might be useful. I played with that one for a while but it seemed too limited to gather much useful data.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This is a quote from the Novak Sentry thread...I think this guy works for one of the full scale manufacturers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
The problem is that most people will get lost in data that's at a high rate.

I actually ran data on a sedan at 200Hz back in the day and it's barely fast enough to capture suspension movement. Yes, it "looks" like the full sized data that you would get from a normal race logger but we need a much higher frequency to capture meaningful data. Plus you're limited on the number of laps that will fit into excel and graph the result.

In the end the high frequency data acquisition was just an expensive way to prove out why a sedan double steers. It only confirmed our gut feel for what was happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
If you want high sample rates it's going to take a much larger commercially available logger (like a Pace Scientific). You'll have to adapt your own sensors to it but it will go to a fairly high sample rate. It's likely that most would get lost in the data.

Also, the data from an RC car isn't going to look anything like the data you would see on a full sized car due to the scale. 100 Hz data would look like a big rats nest when you dump it into Excel. You'd end up having to go corner by corner and it would take more time than it's worth.

Being able to compare changes on the track for gearing and battery changes is probably the most useful part of the system.

I do wish they would have included a ring type hall sensor for current (Amp-sense for instance) but the set-up they have isn't all that bad.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
Tech Regular

I am not sure Fred_B is correct. I have said for 4-5 years now we need data logging. We are doing too much guessing with our cars. We don't need to put it in Excel but a real logging screen like RacePaq or Motec. The high sample rate could be adjusted by the software so that it is readable.
I too would like to know about shock travel, side load, track temp, tire slippage, etc. I do this today on my 200mph prostreet bike. We wouldn't go down the track without a data logger, we need the data to make adjustments. Fred is not giving R/C racers a lot of credit, we would learn to read it just like we have all done in Drag Racing.
And yes I have used many data loggers, RacePaq, Motec, FAST, Factory Suzuki so I do know how to read the data.
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote