Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Would you?.......pay someone to build or setup you car? >

Would you?.......pay someone to build or setup you car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you?.......pay someone to build or setup you car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 02:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Never...
Old 02-11-2015, 02:11 AM
Tech Regular

Touring car: No... Never.
Only due to how I race that regularly and I need to know the car very well for repairs.

12th Scale: I built it but I'll get a friend to look over it and set it up for me. I only race it 2 times a year and it's not worth my time trying to learn about that car.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BadPanda818
I somewhat disagree with most of you guys. Personally I'm the type that like the trial and error method to fully understand the concept. I understand that for some, there really isn't time to mess around with the car. Something I learned pretty fast is that some setups may not work with other drivers due to different driving styles. When I first started this hobby, I was completely clueless with chassis dynamics. If time permitted, I would ask someone to drive my car and have them tell me what kind of adjustments should be required and why. I would then incorporate the said adjustments and compare with the previous adjustments. Just like in life it takes a little dedication in order to achieve the desired outcome. BTW I'm not bashing on your thread J. I understand you have time constraints (family)that prevents you from spending time on your car. At least you know your priorities. Next time your at the track, ask someone to explain and/or help you set up your car. Lastly another thing I learned in life, "if you want something done right, you'll have to do it yourself."
I agree to an extent, I also love the build. And I would probably never pay someone to do the initial build. I love to build and tinker, I am an auto mechanic for a living. But the kit setup usually is not that great and spending the time to get it right is frustrating and I would pay somebody in a second to do the setup, or even rebuild shocks(which I hate) but never a diff, I do my own diffs, but also a few guys have asked me to build diffs for them because I do it right.

At the same time though I will NEVER say anything to or about the guy who can not or will not build his own kit. Not only do I work on real cars but also work at a hobby shop at night, so any who works on their own cars (real or r/c), I don't make money off of.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
I agree to an extent, I also love the build. And I would probably never pay someone to do the initial build. I love to build and tinker, I am an auto mechanic for a living. But the kit setup usually is not that great and spending the time to get it right is frustrating and I would pay somebody in a second to do the setup, or even rebuild shocks(which I hate) but never a diff, I do my own diffs, but also a few guys have asked me to build diffs for them because I do it right.

At the same time though I will NEVER say anything to or about the guy who can not or will not build his own kit. Not only do I work on real cars but also work at a hobby shop at night, so any who works on their own cars (real or r/c), I don't make money off of.
Some cars drive very well with the kit setup, e.g. Xray T4'15.

Building your kit and setting it up are not necessarily two different things.

If you do your research before you buy your kit, you know whether the kit setup is a good starting point or if a specific team driver or local track guy setup is the way to go. You then just build the kit according to the chosen setup.

I mean, RC is so much disassembling/assembling your car, maintaining, repairing, adjusting etc., and if you already have the munches just by the outlook of building the kit, maybe RC is not the way to go.

Like considering go swimming, but don't like getting wet.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inpuressa
Nope, building and setting up the car is part of the fun for this hobby. It also makes you complete as a driver imo. Maybe I'm old skool
Completely agree. Aftet working in a hobbyshop years ago and doing this for people, they treated the cars like something you get from Wal-Mart.

The exceptions being those who physically cannot do for themselves. I am more than happy to help them. And I would never charge them for it. Also the true new kid. But in this case it should be done as a learning experience so they can understand the car and hobby. In these cases, whether its a kid or an adult, they would ask for help building versus just giving it to someone else to do it for them.

In todays age of RTR's, cheap brushless and LiPo, the instant gratification culture is taking over R/C. Most of the people who would pay someone to build a car for them also would'nt have clue on how to do a trackside repair or replace a part. These are also generally the drivers that give the most aggrevation at the track.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

That swim analogy is not fitting here. In real motor sports the drivers seldom if ever work on their own cars. I never did my own taxes, nor did I ever build my home or diagnose my injuries. In sports you have hitting coaches, strength and condition guys and nutritionist. The reason I'm mentioning this is you seldom pick up things WELL on your own. Sure with enough time and dedication you'll do it. But the initial lesson is usually a rough ride.

Besides....a man gotta know his limitations.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

People have been paying other people to build and set up their cars since the beginning of RC racing. But it does depend on who is building the car.

Yes, I would have someone build and setup a car for me. Then I would take a close look at what he did and get an understanding of what he did and why. I think you would learn much more that way than trial an error on your own.

Another closely kept secret? Yes, a lot of people will help you if your setup is way off, but no on gives away all their secrets.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just because people like the "building" part of a new kit - does not mean it is done right.

You may think it is done right because you followed the instructions .. yet there is more to it than that. Experience plays a part in this. Do you have air in your shocks? Do you know what a good diff feels like? Do you have the right tools .. shock pliers perhaps? Are you ready to tear apart that diff you just built two seconds ago because you did not build it right? Do you even know it's not right?

Not all pro-level drivers build there own kits. There are plenty of pros that have mechanics (and they are paid).

The absolute best advice I can give is ... find someone with experience that will build the kit with you, side by side. They can explain their methods, what to look for and how to make sure it is done properly.

Even if your a seasoned builder, what would you pay for Volker, Hagburg, etc .. to sit down with you and build you kit with you ...
Old 02-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ByteStream
Just because people like the "building" part of a new kit - does not mean it is done right.

You may think it is done right because you followed the instructions .. yet there is more to it than that. Experience plays a part in this. Do you have air in your shocks? Do you know what a good diff feels like? Do you have the right tools .. shock pliers perhaps? Are you ready to tear apart that diff you just built two seconds ago because you did not build it right? Do you even know it's not right?

Not all pro-level drivers build there own kits. There are plenty of pros that have mechanics (and they are paid).

The absolute best advice I can give is ... find someone with experience that will build the kit with you, side by side. They can explain their methods, what to look for and how to make sure it is done properly.

Even if your a seasoned builder, what would you pay for Volker, Hagburg, etc .. to sit down with you and build you kit with you ...
I think you would find that Pro's cars aren't as special as we think. The motivation making them fast is in that 4 turn motor and the guy holding the transmitter. Their cars are really quite stock.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I personally would not. I enjoy the build too much. Plus I am too OCD when doing my builds. I do however get paid by others to build and setup their cars on occasions. And it's usually because they know they wont have the time to do it and they know I will do a good job and not cut any corners.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Salkin
Some cars drive very well with the kit setup, e.g. Xray T4'15.

Building your kit and setting it up are not necessarily two different things.

If you do your research before you buy your kit, you know whether the kit setup is a good starting point or if a specific team driver or local track guy setup is the way to go. You then just build the kit according to the chosen setup.

I mean, RC is so much disassembling/assembling your car, maintaining, repairing, adjusting etc., and if you already have the munches just by the outlook of building the kit, maybe RC is not the way to go.

Like considering go swimming, but don't like getting wet.
I am not the best at set up. And if I could pay someone to take my car, drive it see what it needs, and continually make changes then drive till its "perfect" then I drive it and tell them what I want the car to do for my driving style I would GLADLY do it. I have more money than I have time and patience, so for me its no big deal to spread some wealth, learn a few things and help out another driver and hopefully end up with faster laps because of it. Unfortunately there is no one around that offers that service, so I end up learning and doing all myself. Which is fine, I would rather just pay somebody. When you get married and you and your wife both have good jobs and some throw away money every week you will understand. Its not that I cant, I just don't want to and if I could pay someone else to do it for me..............

I think I know a little bit about the aspects of the hobby. I have been doing it for 30 years.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I would build anyone's kit for free I love the building part as much as racing.

If anyone wants to take me up on the offer just PM me!

I would do it all from kit build to electronics install.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ByteStream

I agree 100%

There is much more to it than just putting it together as the instructions say. So many little things you can do to improve the car if you know about them. Those are the things the pro's are doing. Yes their cars may be relatively stock, but they didn't just slap it together as the instructions say.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
I am not the best at set up. And if I could pay someone to take my car, drive it see what it needs, and continually make changes then drive till its "perfect" then I drive it and tell them what I want the car to do for my driving style I would GLADLY do it. I have more money than I have time and patience, so for me its no big deal to spread some wealth, learn a few things and help out another driver and hopefully end up with faster laps because of it. Unfortunately there is no one around that offers that service, so I end up learning and doing all myself. Which is fine, I would rather just pay somebody. When you get married and you and your wife both have good jobs and some throw away money every week you will understand. Its not that I cant, I just don't want to and if I could pay someone else to do it for me..............

I think I know a little bit about the aspects of the hobby. I have been doing it for 30 years.
+1
Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by J-milz
That swim analogy is not fitting here. In real motor sports the drivers seldom if ever work on their own cars. I never did my own taxes, nor did I ever build my home or diagnose my injuries. In sports you have hitting coaches, strength and condition guys and nutritionist. The reason I'm mentioning this is you seldom pick up things WELL on your own. Sure with enough time and dedication you'll do it. But the initial lesson is usually a rough ride.

Besides....a man gotta know his limitations.
The only driver I know who have his own mechanics are Volker. All the rest do it more or less on their own. That's where even top on road RC are.

And that is because RC tech wise is low tech, compared to e.g. F1 racing, where the mechanics are more or less skilled engineers. You would have to give Hamilton three university degrees in order for him to be able to just begin working on his own car.

Let's not make a build rocket science. You certainly doesn't need a university degree to build a kit.

Best advice is to read the dedicated thread on rctech.net and then build.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.