Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How important is free Spin?! >

How important is free Spin?!

How important is free Spin?!

Old 10-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Dude, nobody does the real work at the track.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default To spin or not to spin.....that is the question

Well.....

My TC3.5 spins longer than anyone has ever seen around here.....full ceramic bearings, Warpspeed diff cases.....

I thought I'd show it off to Blackstock since he races at my local track and this is what he said. He told me it was pretty impressive and they used to strive for that, but in their testing it seemed that a car that spun too freely was slightly slower on the track because the motors need a certain amount of drag to perform at their peak. So they just leave them alone now and just free them up slightly.

Vogan
Old 10-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

A local guy who's on AE worlds team has his TC4 spinning for 10-15 seconds with stock bearings and nothing's been modded.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

LMAO....

sorry...I've had a TC4....you have to mod it slightly to get it to go together!!!!

Xtreme gave the FT TC4 a '10' for parts fit and finish....and then did a follow up on building the perfect TC4, where they talked abouthaving to trim and file parts to get them to go together properly...they also commented on the grease packed bearings...

Your local guy has most certainly done some work to his car...it surely didn't come out of the box like that....
Old 10-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
A local guy who's on AE worlds team has his TC4 spinning for 10-15 seconds with stock bearings and nothing's been modded.
Hope your not talking about Mike because saying that he hasn't modded anything is like saying Hara's not very fast
Old 10-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chrisgt2
Well.....
...but in their testing it seemed that a car that spun too freely was slightly slower on the track because the motors need a certain amount of drag to perform at their peak. So they just leave them alone now and just free them up slightly.

Vogan
This explains a lot. Last week I hit a wall and shattered two bearings. The rest of my laps were twice as fast.
That doesn't make any sense to me... but then again, I don't get paid to drive these things either. As if there's not enough to worry about, now I have to wonder if I have the right amount of drag on my drivetrain.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RKeasler
Hope your not talking about Mike because saying that he hasn't modded anything is like saying Hara's not very fast
Hara's not that quick, he just gets the good packs

What's there to mod? AE fixed the diff cases, a few runs in mod or 19t throw out the excess grease in the bearings, and if you correctly shim a car, it should spin for a while. The grease that gets put on the diff gears plays a big role. I used AE silicone grease on my Pro4 and got 15-20 seconds of spin, then put on some MuchMore grease and can only get 5-10 seconds.

Don't forget, Mike runs mod. I bet one mod run puts 10 times the strain that a stock run puts on the tranny, so those bearings get a good workout and are fully broken in alot faster.

Here's his website, I didn't see anywhere that he talks about modding the tranny. http://home.sc.rr.com/mlufaso/rc/TC4/index.html

Maybe ml will comment on this, I might have heard him wrong at Augusta.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I can't speak for Mike's car...all I know is that my two TC4's and the other 3 built around the same time earlier this year still needed work to free them up...considerably...

The diff cases were better than the TC3...but still room for improvement....
Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

Free spin has very little, maybe no effect. A guy at our track has got the most bound up car, spins for about a half second, but is fast as hell with it. Screw free spin, you dont need it, this car is proof enough for me. And like Solara said you cannot compare shaft versus belt, 2 completely different systems.
-Buddy
Old 10-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Regardless of how much freespin, if the tranny takes more force to make it spin, then you're going to be slower. More amps will be drawn from the battery, and less speed will be acquired. That's simple physics.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's almost a double whammy, because since your motor is pulling more amps, it's getting hotter, making the motor soft. While freespin may not make you noticable faster, it is much easier on your equipment.
-Josh
Old 10-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Not always. Sometimes an extremely free drive train can be sloppy loose. slop in a drive train can cause excessive wear too.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I might be wrong on this one, but I seem to remember reading (somewhere) that some companies have chosen not to go the shaft route because they investigated them and found that, under load, the bevel gears bind up just slighlty thus reducing their efficiency.

Is this correct or am completely making this up?

I think that Windsorguy99 is saying basically the same thing....
Old 10-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Regional Moderator

The shaft drive superior on low speed while belt drive is better when speed is high, suitable for stock class racing. I think some expert driver also tune the car from their belt tensioner to get that decceleration feeling into corner depending on the track. So it's less free but still gaining faster lap times and consistent feeling through every runs..
Old 10-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by daniz24
The shaft drive superior on low speed while belt drive is better when speed is high, suitable for stock class racing. I think some expert driver also tune the car from their belt tensioner to get that decceleration feeling into corner depending on the track. So it's less free but still gaining faster lap times and consistent feeling through every runs..

Drag brake in an esc does the same, but allows you to get the top speed just as high as a loose belt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.