Wiki Posts
Search

Which wheels and tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Which wheels and tires?

Who makes a decent set of wheels out there for the XXX-S in 24mm? I dont like white, I'm not opposed to aluminum. Which do you like.

We will be running on a pretty high bite concrete from a tennis and basketball court that is in very nice shape (brand new). It has a slight texture to it that is very fine, like most tennis courts I imagine.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, if you're talking about wheels for racing, then stay away from aluminum, they'll just get dented up & never run true again, plus they're likely heavier than plastic wheels(& saving weight there is important in reducing rotating mass, much more important than keeping overall car weight down). If you just don't want white, you might have a look at Speedmind's wheels, they offer all of theirs in white, black & bright yellow(& there might be one or 2 more colors that I can't remember right now). Their wheels are light, strong, & are available in a number of styles that actually look pretty cool.....
Old 10-04-2002, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Yokomo has a new wheel out that is SWEET!! It is strong and true. Part number is TW-1012Y-2 for the flourescent yellow wheel. They also have a white wheel made from the same material.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

I was poking around the Orion website and they have wheels out now too. They have soft, hard, and very hard. Tried any of them?
Old 10-06-2002, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

speedmind or tamiya rims - inexpensive but strong. theyre also available in black or yellow, if you dont like white.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Which wheels and tires?

Originally posted by madweazl
Who makes a decent set of wheels out there for the XXX-S in 24mm? I dont like white, I'm not opposed to aluminum. Which do you like.

We will be running on a pretty high bite concrete from a tennis and basketball court that is in very nice shape (brand new). It has a slight texture to it that is very fine, like most tennis courts I imagine.
You don't like white? Dude, I don't want to sound like an ass but appearance isn't what is gonna make you win. You need to seriously check out Losi's new dish wheel or if you just can't have white wheels, Team Orion makes a very hard fluorescent yellow dish wheel. Link below.

LINK
Old 10-06-2002, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yok dish is probably the most popular for racers. the right balance between weight, durability, and flexibility.

a super tough wheel that looks great are the 24mm 12 spoke wheels from schumacher that come in white, gray, and black. now in econimical four packs.

also i like the orions because i prefer some flex for contact patch purposes. i will buying some of those when asphalt starts back up.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

To tell you the truth, I'ved use Pro-lines, Sorex, Echo's, Losi's, Orions, HPI's, Cross's and Tamiya's. I've found some wheels to perform better at some tracks where they don't perform worth a flip at other's so it's another parameter you'll have to experiment with. Here's a tip though, the Team Orion "Hards" are softer than Prol-lines and will warp if your a board slapper. Sorex's are a very hard plastic, I think it's called ABS plastic and they will crack in half or punch out their center hex area. All these wheels have differant width's and differant rib heights(OOH, that's a new one ) which will change the way they perform with the same tires-Tires are your primary tuning factor!
Old 10-07-2002, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, the appearance is a big factor to me. Out here I have no way of dying white wheels and I'm trying to get people involved in racing out here. Eye candy will be a major contributor in snagging more people for sure, besides the fact that I wouldnt and havent ever run a white wheel.

Gonna try out the orions, priced pretty well too. Probably go with the hards since I'd rather be slow than broke, hehe.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

hey proud, thanks for the info. i actually called orion to get an idea of what people were running. they told me all of their guys are running the extra hard dish wheels. i was looking for a wheel with the flexibility of a cross. i was hoping that the hards would give that to me. i have a full set of orion premounts that came in a trade. they work really well, but i dunno the compound or wheel. they are so soft that i just figured that they were the soft ones, but maybe if the hards are softer than prolines, that is what i have.

what do you think of the cross wheels? i have some of the take off glr's and every set has at least one warped wheel after only a few heats. i'm really dissappoinded. everyone talks them up, especially the schumacher guys. i've tried mounting myself, and with the glr's. some of my wheels have some small cracking in the webs of the spokes near the hex area. seems like the wheel stays round, but that the hex area gets knocked out of alignment.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Hey seaball, no problem. Personally I use the Sorex wheels for their rigidty and trueness but if your a board slapper these will crack and break. I've got a set of the Team Orion "hard" and they are pretty soft-softer than pro-lines. The hards are notorious for warping. Team Orion's "extra hard" should be the ticket because they will be stiffer than the pro-lines yet forgiving enough not to crack or break. I've got numerous sets of premounted take-off's on cross wheels and personally I don't like the wheel because of it's ribs on the inside and the soft material they use. I run take-off tires with the take off medium insert and with that wheel there is an air gap that isn't suitable for my applications. I just got a new schumacher mission and the wheels(they look like cross wheels but they are grey and schumacher is the manufacture) that came with it look to be good. They are real strong but not the ABS plastic Sorex and Tamiya uses. I still gotta mount a set up and experiment with them so I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

yeah, proud, those are the wheels that i referred to in my first post on this thread. they are awesome. they stay ultra true and will not break, no matter what. i just wish that they had a bit more flexibility for performace reasons, not durability. i think you'll be happy. i've been running proline 1095's on these wheels with the ribs shaved off using the newer blue take off insert. for the cs-xx tires, i was always a bigger fan of the original charcoal insert that take off was using. now the air gap with the blue ones is too large for my liking. grips like hell, but i always end up with a set of tires rendered unusable by the ribbing effect near the inside wall. now i use those inserts in my proline tires, and hpi's or echo's in the takeoffs. good luck, i think you'll agree.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't now if these wheels I'm using for my car is legal or not, but I have a pair of Ofna black five spoke wheels 26mm (I think they're 2.0 too instead of the usual 1.9). I mounted sorex 20Rs (I race nights and the weather up here is usually pretty cold) 24mm and it fits like a grip...except..for the gap.

Just on the "looks" standpoint, these wheels to me add the aggressiveness to any of my car. To see it perform (it's a -3 offset wheels too) and constantly took a beating without major damage both on my electric car and my old stolen nitro car is awesome.

They usually sell these at a hobby shop for $8.95 for a set of 8.

well..that's my $0.02
Old 10-07-2002, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Fab, so you really still have a Turbo Optima? Sweet, that was my dream car when I was about 11 years old. I had actually started saving change and anything I could get my hands on in the hopes that I would some day be able to own one. I didnt take long for me to realize that I wasnt going to be able to get it without support from my parents and soon after cashed it all in for quarters at the arcade, lol. Parents thought I was crazy for wanting an rc car but it was in my veins by that time. About two years later I bought a Panda Monium, lol. I got it and a radio but didnt have enough for anything else. A guy my aunt worked for gave me a B&M Juice Machine (nice old charger for anybody that doesnt know about it) and some SCE battery packs which I promptly destroyed. I thrashed this little car, man did I thrash it, lol. I remember, oh, haha. This is good, it had the 3 speed manual speedo and I had lost the nuts that held the motor wires down to it so I just super glued them (oh the life of a 13 year old, hehe) on. We slapped an old Twister mod motor in it (what ever happened to Twister) and started haulin ass up and down the street. Before long I actually burned clear through the tires, no bull here, they seperated at the sidewall.

About 1 year after that my mother took me down to the local race track (Outlaw Hobbies in Highland) and we met the guy my aunt worked with (Dennis Taylor from Team Losi, same guy that gave me the charger) and he had a little surprise for me. It was a brand new JRX2, well, not brand new, it was his car! It was so awesome, basically it was a JRX Pro about a year before they came out. It had the ball bearing diff gear, long shocks and towers up front (were actually rears mounted up front) and it had the H arms on it. It was funny, I couldnt get any of these parts at hobby shops when I broke them. I remember one time going down there and asking for the replacement parts, the salesmen told that Losi didnt make these parts. I promptly pulled them out of my pocket and showed him. Dennis sent out the then prototype parts and I was back in business.

Wow, a trip down memory lane, lol. Sorry bout that guys, I have a big old grin on my face now though
Old 10-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

I like tamiya blue dish wheels for the look and stiffness, but if you want a slightly more flexible and durable wheel from my experience HPI 5 spokes are great, and look good in black

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.