Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Chassis flex, huh, yeah. What is it good for? Uh-huh. Chassis flex, huh, yeah. >

Chassis flex, huh, yeah. What is it good for? Uh-huh. Chassis flex, huh, yeah.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chassis flex, huh, yeah. What is it good for? Uh-huh. Chassis flex, huh, yeah.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Worst87
Compared to real racing cars the "stiction" in the whole car and especially in the shocks is much higher in rc. "Stiction compared to whole stiffness of the suspension"
That makes sense. All the non-ideal static friction type stuff is going to be orders of magnitudes less than "ideal" spring & damper forces on a real car. On the RC car it's not that way, but the chassis acts like a pretty good ideal spring for small displacements.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

When you are sitting in your RC car, that is the time to consider removing chassis flex

Until then, meh
Old 01-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
When you are sitting in your RC car, that is the time to consider removing chassis flex

Until then, meh
Which RC car? Are we racin' or crusin' fer chicks?

Well, at least my underwear are clean.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Worst87
After reading the above link, i interpret it like: if you have enough experience with the car and track, you should (especially at higher grip levels) run a more stiff chassis. But just look at the Worlds in Kissimee, most drivers were driving quite soft flex setup.

To come back to the theory of gaining maximum grip on an uneven surface: Carpet is very very soft compared to asphalt (literally :-D). And the bumpes are completely different (for example a kink in the carpet). The bumpes are maybe higher amplitude but at much lower frequency.
So the benefits of the soft chassis (lower wheel load alteration) doesn`t show up really, but the negative effect (less responsive to suspension setup changes) show up even more because of higher cornering g-forces.
The worlds was strange. If you walked on the racing line you almost stuck to it, but instead of getting lots of understeer like you normally would with high bite carpet, the rear of the car was a bit loose.
I think the softer setups were to allow the car the transition more smoothly and help maintain the grip.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX

Until then, meh
Correct. 100% agree.

I've seen a few people declare that flex is all wrong, bla bla bla, and also seen a few that have done something about it. However, I haven't yet seen someone "do something about it" and decide that they were correct.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MattW
Correct. 100% agree.

I've seen a few people declare that flex is all wrong, bla bla bla, and also seen a few that have done something about it. However, I haven't yet seen someone "do something about it" and decide that they were correct.
I used to race TC back in the 90s (and stopped in 2002). Although there were some flexible cars in the early days, the stiff chassis cars generally ruled the roost. The very stiff TC3 was the king of TC for years.

So when I got back into TC in 2008 and saw all these flexy chassis, I was initially in the "this is all crap, they should be super-stiff" camp. But with a bit more experience of the modern cars I quickly realised I was wrong, and that the chassis flex is very helpful. Its used as a setup tool, it widens the setup window, and it allows the car to absorb bumps/curbs without running the main springs super-soft (and having the car drag on the floor).

I guess the things that changed in my time out were that the motors got a lot more powerful, and the tyres got harder (and therefore less grippy) to cope with this power. So flex came in to help us cope with all this.

If you're running a 25.5t motor on super-soft tyres, you can probably dig out a TC3 and kick some ass. For the rest of us... flex is here to stay.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleburr
I used to race TC back in the 90s (and stopped in 2002). Although there were some flexible cars in the early days, the stiff chassis cars generally ruled the roost. The very stiff TC3 was the king of TC for years.

So when I got back into TC in 2008 and saw all these flexy chassis, I was initially in the "this is all crap, they should be super-stiff" camp. But with a bit more experience of the modern cars I quickly realised I was wrong, and that the chassis flex is very helpful. Its used as a setup tool, it widens the setup window, and it allows the car to absorb bumps/curbs without running the main springs super-soft (and having the car drag on the floor).

I guess the things that changed in my time out were that the motors got a lot more powerful, and the tyres got harder (and therefore less grippy) to cope with this power. So flex came in to help us cope with all this.

If you're running a 25.5t motor on super-soft tyres, you can probably dig out a TC3 and kick some ass. For the rest of us... flex is here to stay.

Foam vs Rubber ..... It took me a bit to re-learn the new ways when I came back and into the brushless/lipo/rubber era.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

The chassis is a spring with a spring rate like a coil spring or torsion bar. The major difference is that the chassis 'spring' is uncontrolled with damping.