R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Very Low-Tech Homemade Chassis Dyno

In a prior thread I described my need to match two cars that have different speed controllers. One is a HobbyKing variable-timing (but no "blinky" no-timing setting) ESC with fixed endbell motor. The other is a HobbyWing Justock (no-timing) ESC with an adjustable endbell motor.

This is how I matched them.

I took an F1 car with brushed motor, turned it over and hooked the motor leads to a voltmeter.

Last edited by ic-racer; 01-27-2015 at 04:38 PM.
ic-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Tech Regular

I then set each car (with the battery it normally uses) on the F1 car and measured the voltage the F1 motor develops at maximum throttle.

Last edited by ic-racer; 01-27-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
Tech Regular

It turns out that when the HobbyKing 45-A X-Car ESC is set to "VERY LOW" timing it matches the other motor set to "0" on the endbell.

So the HobbyKing 17.5 ESC and X-Car motor combo, when set to "VERY LOW" is essentially in "blinky" mode, but it doesn't blink. So no one will believe you.

BTW: These cars are 'outlaw' 17.5 VTA cars are being set up for our NOVICE class which is just a 'run what you brung' class. They are identical TB04 Pro Tamiya with the same gearing. 17.5 motors because that is what I have laying around. VTA Legal 25.5 motors are expensive.

Yes it surprises me also, that our track is so competitive, this is what kids are running!
Old 02-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I wanted to get a little more information about the motors in my kids cars. I found a Fantom Facts Dyno and hooked that up. I was able to set the timing of a old Trinity race motor in one kids car to almost exactly match the power curve of the inexpensive fixed-endbell HobbyKing motor in the other's car.