R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CO
Posts: 83
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Confused about 1S compatable ESC's for 1/12th scale car

I just got an older 1/12th scale CRC pan car that I plan on running in a 17.5 class at my local track but I am confused as to what ESC's I can use. I bought a 200mah LiFe booster pack that plugs in to the receiver but I don't know if the ESC's I have will work on the one cell batteries. The current ESC's I have are the LRP flow works comp and the Turnigy Trackstar 80A turbo. Will one or both of these work? Pretty much every ESC I find says its for 2-3 cell lipos but does the booster pack mean that they can run a 1 cell battery? Also I would assume you remove the red lead from the ESC plug when running the booster pack? If my current ESC's won't work is there a good inexpensive ESC I can buy that will run on one cell? I am not sure if I am going to stick with racing this car so I don't want to dump a whole bunch of money into it.
killeraxemannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 366
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
I just got an older 1/12th scale CRC pan car that I plan on running in a 17.5 class at my local track but I am confused as to what ESC's I can use. I bought a 200mah LiFe booster pack that plugs in to the receiver but I don't know if the ESC's I have will work on the one cell batteries. The current ESC's I have are the LRP flow works comp and the Turnigy Trackstar 80A turbo. Will one or both of these work? Pretty much every ESC I find says its for 2-3 cell lipos but does the booster pack mean that they can run a 1 cell battery? Also I would assume you remove the red lead from the ESC plug when running the booster pack? If my current ESC's won't work is there a good inexpensive ESC I can buy that will run on one cell? I am not sure if I am going to stick with racing this car so I don't want to dump a whole bunch of money into it.
you will have more luck posting this in the onroad section . . . however . . .


if you have a 2-3c esc then you need either a separate battery to run the receiver, or a 1c booster.

Battery:
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2894

booster:
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2696

hope that helps . . .
mupchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CO
Posts: 83
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mupchu View Post
you will have more luck posting this in the onroad section . . . however . . .


if you have a 2-3c esc then you need either a separate battery to run the receiver, or a 1c booster.

Battery:
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2894

booster:
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2696

hope that helps . . .
My mistake, Thought I clicked on road not off road Already have a booster pack.
killeraxemannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
oeoeo327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,343
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
I just got an older 1/12th scale CRC pan car that I plan on running in a 17.5 class at my local track but I am confused as to what ESC's I can use. I bought a 200mah LiFe booster pack that plugs in to the receiver but I don't know if the ESC's I have will work on the one cell batteries. The current ESC's I have are the LRP flow works comp and the Turnigy Trackstar 80A turbo. Will one or both of these work? Pretty much every ESC I find says its for 2-3 cell lipos but does the booster pack mean that they can run a 1 cell battery? Also I would assume you remove the red lead from the ESC plug when running the booster pack? If my current ESC's won't work is there a good inexpensive ESC I can buy that will run on one cell? I am not sure if I am going to stick with racing this car so I don't want to dump a whole bunch of money into it.
Either ESC should work for 1 cell applications with a receiver pack if you remove the red wire from the receiver plug on the ESC. After numerous booster failures (both internal and external boosters), I wouldn't use any other method.
__________________
Founding member of the Solid Gold Racing Team - Mediocrity, redefined...
✯Jackson RC✯Horsham RC✯SJCCR✯
oeoeo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CO
Posts: 83
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
Either ESC should work for 1 cell applications with a receiver pack if you remove the red wire from the receiver plug on the ESC. After numerous booster failures (both internal and external boosters), I wouldn't use any other method.
Ok good info. Is the 80A ESC enough? Someone on the HK discussions said they fried it running 17.5 on 1S with that ESC. I would much rather keep the flow for my other car if I can get away with using the turnigy for the 1/12th scale car.
killeraxemannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 366
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
Ok good info. Is the 80A ESC enough? Someone on the HK discussions said they fried it running 17.5 on 1S with that ESC. I would much rather keep the flow for my other car if I can get away with using the turnigy for the 1/12th scale car.
If you are getting a new turnigy then get the 1s esc . . .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=46906

it's on backorder . . but I would go that route, or . . .

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-xerun-...-1s-black.html

a 80A esc should be more than enough but since you are going HK special on it I am not sure i'd really trust it. I personally use a novak booster, and have used the TQbooster as well as a couple backup boosters from HK (I think those cost me $10 for two, I still keep onhand).
mupchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CO
Posts: 83
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mupchu View Post
If you are getting a new turnigy then get the 1s esc . . .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=46906

it's on backorder . . but I would go that route, or . . .

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-xerun-...-1s-black.html

a 80A esc should be more than enough but since you are going HK special on it I am not sure i'd really trust it. I personally use a novak booster, and have used the TQbooster as well as a couple backup boosters from HK (I think those cost me $10 for two, I still keep onhand).

I have the 200mah LiFe booster pack Trinity sells. I would definitely prefer the Hobbywing to the Turnigy but if my 80A Turnigy will work I will probably just use that for now while I decide if I want to start racing this kind of car or not.
killeraxemannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 PM   #8
Super Moderator
 
Grizzbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Springs, OK
Posts: 2,960
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

As mupchu said, this really belongs in the Onroad section, so I'm moving it there...
__________________
Bob Seay
Tamiya TRF417, TA05v.2, TRF211XM, M-05ver.2R, XRAY X12
Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 PM   #9
Regional Moderator
 
disaster999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,843
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Im personally using the Trackstar GenII 1S 120A esc and Im pretty satisfied with it. I run a 10.5T with a 74mm rollout and the motor and esc is barely warm.

The Trackstar 80A would definitely work, I would take off the fan as you dont need it for 1S. Try and see which power source would make your servo run faster, the BEC or the booster pack. If they are about the same I wouldnt even bother with the booster back to save weight.
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:59 PM   #10
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,157
Default

Default answer for all things 1/12th scale

12th Scale Racing is Alive and Well in So Cal
__________________
Apex RC
www.apexrc.com - Hawaii's #1 RC Proshop

Share & Like Our Page:https://www.facebook.com/ApexRCProshop
Win free stuff!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #11
Tech Regular
 
Jorge T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: At a chemical plant in TX
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
I have the 200mah LiFe booster pack Trinity sells. I would definitely prefer the Hobbywing to the Turnigy but if my 80A Turnigy will work I will probably just use that for now while I decide if I want to start racing this kind of car or not.
Either should work with the booster pack, just make sure you take off the red wire from the esc plug, otherwise you may fry something.
__________________
RSD Speedway
Jorge T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 73
Default

At this years 12th scale worlds a lot of drivers (e.g. Donny Lia, Olly Jefferies) were using the LRP Flow without a booster or a separate battery.
It seems to work...
__________________
TOP Rebel 12 - Nosram Comet HD - GM Racing 10.5 - nVision - Futaba
Associated B44.3 - Nosram Comet HD - Reedy 7.0 - nVision - Savx - Futaba
M.Boos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 73
Default

I meant last years worlds...its 2015 yet.
__________________
TOP Rebel 12 - Nosram Comet HD - GM Racing 10.5 - nVision - Futaba
Associated B44.3 - Nosram Comet HD - Reedy 7.0 - nVision - Savx - Futaba
M.Boos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CO
Posts: 83
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Boos View Post
At this years 12th scale worlds a lot of drivers (e.g. Donny Lia, Olly Jefferies) were using the LRP Flow without a booster or a separate battery.
It seems to work...
Might be your receiver and servo choice. I bought the booster pack because my receiver wouldn't even power up with the flow connected to it. My receiver is a Spektrum and I know those are picky when it comes to power.
killeraxemannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Boos View Post
At this years 12th scale worlds a lot of drivers (e.g. Donny Lia, Olly Jefferies) were using the LRP Flow without a booster or a separate battery.
It seems to work...
I've got one of those - it's an LRP SXX v2 1S speedo in a Flow casing. They might well be Flow speedos, but then again they might not.

Buyer beware...!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:53 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0