R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New to RC drifting , and have a couple beginners questions

Hey guys, starting to look online and research the best entry level on road electric drifter. I have narrowed down ( mainly due to the look(s) of the car, body changeability and price ) to the HPI sprint 2, and the Tamiya TT-01. I mainly like these two brands because they have my favorite car, the GTR ( 89-91

I know theirs a lot of other options to choose from, and I am very entry level at this. I have never owned an RC car before, and plan on buying one very soon. Let me know if the two brands and cars I chose are lenient for a novice driver , and their ups and downs. Also if theirs better options, let me hear them!

Thanks everyone for the help, it's much appreciated as i'm having a tough time deciding on what to buy, and don't want to make a mistake on my first purchase!

Cheers !
GTRGTRGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRGTRGTR View Post
Hey guys, starting to look online and research the best entry level on road electric drifter. I have narrowed down ( mainly due to the look(s) of the car, body changeability and price ) to the HPI sprint 2, and the Tamiya TT-01. I mainly like these two brands because they have my favorite car, the GTR ( 89-91

I know theirs a lot of other options to choose from, and I am very entry level at this. I have never owned an RC car before, and plan on buying one very soon. Let me know if the two brands and cars I chose are lenient for a novice driver , and their ups and downs. Also if theirs better options, let me hear them!

Thanks everyone for the help, it's much appreciated as i'm having a tough time deciding on what to buy, and don't want to make a mistake on my first purchase!

Cheers !
what ever you get see if you can source parts for it locally. the tt chassis are quite resilient and strong tho imo upgrading parts on a tt01 is a fruitless exercise as they will always just be a tt01 lol. try and search your local area for any rc drift groups as meeting them first can really help with your decision. the MST MS01D RTR chassis also comes with the r32 body ;-)
freakyfreakyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:28 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Well I have an old TT01 that I had for 2 years... and... Absolutely reliable. Never replaced anything on it. Never bothered with motor temps etc. Just drive!
Now I have a sakura D3 cs (dedicated counter-steer chassis) and... lots of upgrades.
I suggest you start with a friends car for a pack and see how much you like it. If you go with the D3, you will need a front one way and ultra wide angle CVD's (dogbones) and probably reduce the counter-steer seeing as you are a beginner.
zy0000yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've owned a couple of TT01s and the ups would be the Tamiya bodies as many of them have the body post holes identified. Check out the video on my for sale thread:

FS: Nephew Getting out - Tamiya TT01E Drift/USGT RTR Nissan GT-R with FF03 Spur Gear
Caleb_Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Beginner drift is a hard segment to him into. Most start with a Tt series car, then spend a lot upgrading it. Avoid this. Start with something middle of the range, and it will already be better than even the most highly upgraded tt01/02. I would pick up a tb04 or tb03 chassis from Tamiya, but a cheap brushed esc (HPi has a good one) and a cheap radio (like Futaba 3pl) and cheap servo and some drift tires, and go run.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
Beginner drift is a hard segment to him into. Most start with a Tt series car, then spend a lot upgrading it. Avoid this. Start with something middle of the range, and it will already be better than even the most highly upgraded tt01/02. I would pick up a tb04 or tb03 chassis from Tamiya, but a cheap brushed esc (HPi has a good one) and a cheap radio (like Futaba 3pl) and cheap servo and some drift tires, and go run.
Say what?

That is horrible advice. Neither of those chassis will be any better than a TT-01 or TT-01D for drifting.

TT-01D would be a great starting point if you want to drift. If you don;t like it, they are easy to re-sell.

TT-01 are easy to work on, easy to build and will give you all the fun of the hobby without the outrageous price. Not to mention you can get parts for it from ANYWHERE.

You could buy everything car, radio, servo, Lipo for around $350 bucks if you ask around and search online.

Don't worry so much about your local hobby shop ( if you have one ) for parts support, you most likely will not break anything anyway.

The Stock Kit motor that comes in the Tamiya kits will be fine as well as the ESC if you buy a kit that includes one. Both can handle lipo's if you so desire, you will just have to pick up a low voltage alarm. ( you can find one on Ebay for about $8 shipped in the US. )

Avoid some of the advice here that says a TT-01 will always be a TT-01. Of course it will, and with simple bearings and some decent shocks it is quite a capable car.

Don't blow money on a expensive chassis, as being a beginner you're not going to tell a difference.

It's not going to make drifting any easier or harder for you. At least with a TT-01 if you decide that Drifting is not for you, Upgrade to brushless and make a speed demon out of it. You can't do that with sakura D3.

" Tamiya RC's have soul, the others are just plastic parts "
Metalsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #7
Tech Champion

A tt01 with body bearings oil shocks and shaft is what? 160? A tb03 that comes with those things is about 185? Hardly expensive.

That right there should make the choice pretty easy,
Old 02-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
A tt01 with body bearings oil shocks and shaft is what? 160? A tb03 that comes with those things is about 185? Hardly expensive.

That right there should make the choice pretty easy,
Good luck finding one for that price that is not used.

Then try finding a steady stream of parts...Not on ebay.

That is where you not only save $15 on the initial kit, more actually because you can't get one for $185, but you also don't have to search far and wide to find parts you may need.

Not saying the TB03 is not better, but that is not what I would recommend to this young gentleman. Not for what he is asking.

" Tamiya RC's have soul, the others are just plastic parts "
Metalsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Tower has them for 190 with coupon, as well as most major breakable parts. You aren't going to be breaking things like arms or hubs with normal drifting.

the tt02 is a good car, but consider buying the d or r upfront
The tb03 is good as well. But is an older design.

I actually reccomend the xv01 as well. It's durable, and has the adjustability you want from a car. It also has sealed gear diffs and plenty of support. It won't let you use low nose bodies though.