R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Do RC tires expire

As title states, curious about some sorex tires that I have from a few years ago that don't seem to be as sticky to the touch anymore (Although I haven't put it on the track to test yet)
Old 01-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Sure. Tires are made of rubber and can dry out. That's one of the reasons to store them in a zip lock bag.
2uzferunner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhangesh View Post
As title states, curious about some sorex tires that I have from a few years ago that don't seem to be as sticky to the touch anymore (Although I haven't put it on the track to test yet)
Try soaking them in Tire Tweak (or a similar oil-based additive) for a few days, and see how they perform. They aren't going to perform like new, but could be good enough to complete a round or two of practice.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

not really rubber tires, but I do have a set of foam tires that is at least 5 years old just sitting around. I sauced the tires, letting them soak for 30 mins and ran them around the track. Initially they had no grip but after a while once the outer foam wore off they performed like new.

I would do what oeoeo suggested and soak them in some tire additive and see if you can revive some life into them.
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Some month ago i returned to RC after about 10 years break and found my old sets of Take off CS27 tyres. Maybe they arent as good as when it was 2004, but now driven on carpet or asphalt, they were right up with modern good spec tyres or even better.

BTW: They were stored in zip lock
Worst87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

They will last a few years as long as it's stored away from sun, temperature cycles, etc. Ziplocks really helps. tire tweak will usually bring the tire back. I know from a old discovery video that American cycling team age the tires in a basement and use them after a few years of sitting there. Not sure what that does.
tobyzhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyzhang View Post
I know from a old discovery video that American cycling team age the tires in a basement and use them after a few years of sitting there. Not sure what that does.
Hardens them for less rolling resistance.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The tires I have are still BNIP from 3 years ago so i'll put them on the track this week and let everyone know how they perform
Old 01-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #9
Tech Master

tires are made from rubber, rubber will break down over time. Ever see a bicycle tire or old car tire that has aged? -Usually cracked and brittle.

Zip bags are a good idea, some of the SCT tire manufacturers sell their tires in re-seal able bags (I have some, they are great for storing your tires).

What is "Tire-Tweak"?
Also, I am not sure what effect it would have on rubber RC tires, but medical grade Glycerin is pretty amazing stuff, especially for healing aged rubber. I've used it on old 1:1 cars, seriously, for rubber trim and molding that has aged it will bring it back to new. I've used it plenty and it works wonders. It doesn't seem possible, but if you apply Glycerin to aged rubber and reapply over the period of a few weeks as it absorbs into the rubber you will be able to bring rubber back from the dead. For our RC tires not sure what this would do though in terms of traction ability. And for $30 I'd just go buy a new set of RC tires.

Read down a few posts, classic car guys such as myself use Glycerin all the time:
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum...baeae6bf475b69

-be warned you'll get weird looks and lot's of questions asked when buying the stuff. It has to be pure Glyrcerin, -much of the stuff at the pharmacy has other ingredients and perfumes in it. You don't want that stuff.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote