R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
I would save money elsewhere (tools, lipos, chargers, bling stuff etc.) than on radio and servo.

Your radio and servo are your link and feel with your car.

Buying a top TC and installing a discount servo in it just doesn't add up in my view.

Sorry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Yeah, I was wondering, why would you throw away all that engineering you paid for by buying a T4/15 by just skimping on the servo. I mean a 9551 (or current versions) is not that much more than 50 pounds if you get it on the internet and a heck of a lot better than the rest of the budget servos. In all likelihood the servo will stay with you for many years after the chassis is obsolete, so it's a long term investment, worth doing it right the first time.
+1 - Tried the Savox route several years ago, then replaced all of my 1251s with Futaba BLS-551s. There's no valid comparison between the two servos, as the Futaba servos feel that much better. This is one of those areas where spending a few extra $$$s makes sense.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Yeah, I was wondering, why would you throw away all that engineering you paid for by buying a T4/15 by just skimping on the servo. I mean a 9551 (or current versions) is not that much more than 50 pounds if you get it on the internet and a heck of a lot better than the rest of the budget servos. In all likelihood the servo will stay with you for many years after the chassis is obsolete, so it's a long term investment, worth doing it right the first time.
9551 is smooth because it's slow. Low torque too. I've used one before. Recently gave it away to a friend. They aren't bad. They are precise, but they're slow. No getting around that. BLS551 is marginally quicker. Slower servos will be smoother. I prefer faster and stronger. You just have to be smooth with your steering inputs, because they do what you tell them to instantly.

I'm not on some tight budget. I could use any servo I want in my cars. I chose Xpert PI-3401-B because it has the best balance of speed and torque @6V of any low profile servo I've seen so far. They just happen to cost a little less than most of the big name manufacturers. You could give me a BLS551 or a KO RSX One for free and I might keep it for backup, but I would not swap out my Xpert servos for something slower and weaker.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #18
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I sold both my Savox 1251's a long time ago when I got back into TC racing. Even had the race director commented how much more consistent I was when I swapped it out for a Futaba brushless servo. Thought it was an issue with the car but it was the Savox servo the whole time. It doesn't seem like it has the resolution of a higher end Futaba/KO despite otherwise good specs on paper.

My best servo now is my KO RSX one. Just picked up an Xpert brushless servo to try out.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #19
Tech Master

I totally agree that the electrics need to be as good as possible. Despite running all the KO's for many years, I have recently upgraded to a Sanwa Exzes Z along the BLS v2 low profile. When linked up in SSR mode it's unbelievably quick and responsive.
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I bought the BLSV2 and lasted only two practice runs. Without question, the performance and speed is there, but durability is questionable. I hope the durability issue was just plain bad luck on my part. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it was the case. In a pinch I ended up buying a Sanwa 801 and works like a treat. But, the Futaba, once repaired will be my go to servo in my sedan.

I did own the Savox line of servos for both my 1/12th scale and 1/10th sedan. I just found the accuracy and consistency wasn't there. I still own them, but I don't think I can go back to them.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

In your price range, Sanwa is better quality value than savox!

http://www.rcmart.com/sanwa-ers971-p...Path=1099_1025