R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Sweep V2 F1 tires

Ok........someone explain to me how the heck you get Sweep tires to fit on Tamiya F104 wheels........it seems as tho the inserts are too big to fit........I have been working on 1. Yes ONE for about an hour trying to get it mounted and seated on the rim......am I missing something or is this normal.......help?
Old 01-14-2015, 03:00 AM   #2
Tech Champion

There are 2 types of F104 rims...the flat and the ridged rims. Originally the flat rims were for foam tires and the ridged rims for rubber tires. But Pit Shimizu came out with their rubber tires that mount to the foam rims and the new TCS tire is a Shimizu tire. But looking at the pics on Sweep's website it looks like they take the original ridged rims for rubber tires. So you have to make sure you are using the right rims.
www.apexrc.com - Hawaii's #1 RC Proshop

Share & Like Our Page:https://www.facebook.com/ApexRCProshop
Win free stuff!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
Tech Adept

yes I have the correct wheels........and I have used Pits on Exotek wheels as well......with F1 becoming more popular in my area we are doing R&D on tires.....Pits, RIDE, Sweep and I am going to order a set of GRP. to clear up the question......mounting Sweep tires on Tamiya wheels should it be VERY hard to get the tire wrapped around the wheel and seated on the bead. it seams to me as tho the foam insert is too big......I have never mounted a set of Tamiya tires so I am not sure if it is normal.......the Pit Shimizu tires mounted perfectly to the Exotek wheels so that is what I was expecting with the Sweeps.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun B22 View Post
yes I have the correct wheels........and I have used Pits on Exotek wheels as well......with F1 becoming more popular in my area we are doing R&D on tires.....Pits, RIDE, Sweep and I am going to order a set of GRP. to clear up the question......mounting Sweep tires on Tamiya wheels should it be VERY hard to get the tire wrapped around the wheel and seated on the bead. it seams to me as tho the foam insert is too big......I have never mounted a set of Tamiya tires so I am not sure if it is normal.......the Pit Shimizu tires mounted perfectly to the Exotek wheels so that is what I was expecting with the Sweeps.
The Sweep Tires are overstuffed. They need either a fitted insert or to cut the insert at 45* like offroad inserts. I have a couple sets of V1s and they might as well be drift tires.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Okay, so its not just me. There really is a steep learning curve when it comes to these F1 tires/wheels.
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
SMC, Max Amps, LRP, Poseidon Motors, Cordova Research Motors, Xceed.
Evo 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
The Sweep Tires are overstuffed. They need either a fitted insert or to cut the insert at 45* like offroad inserts. I have a couple sets of V1s and they might as well be drift tires.
is there a company that makes molded Closed cell inserts for F1 tires? I would love to get my hands on some......I have been using the Proline Closed Cell inserts for offroad for a while now and I would never go back to open cell again.

what about just using Tamiya inserts? Is it the tire compound or insert that makes Pit Shimizus so good?
Old 01-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun B22 View Post
is there a company that makes molded Closed cell inserts for F1 tires? I would love to get my hands on some......I have been using the Proline Closed Cell inserts for offroad for a while now and I would never go back to open cell again.

what about just using Tamiya inserts? Is it the tire compound or insert that makes Pit Shimizus so good?
The Pit tires are great once mounted. The TCS tires are made by Pit Shimizu, 571/572.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:45 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The sweep website says that for V1 inserts (grey?) to trim down 1mm. However this was fixed with the white v2 inserts.

The v1 tires were rubbish, the v2 tires are meant to be ok. Realistically though Ride or Pit tires over ok tires any day.

SERCCC, www.serccc.com
Space for rent!
luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:50 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Funny.....I got V2 tires with grey foam inserts with sticky on one side.......odd! I am going to trim the inserts and see what happens.......if that don't work I will just get Tamiya inserts