R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Acetone TC rims?

I've done a search but can't turn up anything on this in particular.
I've been racing off road for a couple years and it's fairly standard practice to soak the old rims in acetone and reuse them.

Is this possible with onroad rubber? Assuming the rims are in decent shape?
I tried it with tamiya TC rims a few years ago and they melted in the acetone.

I've got a bunch of hardly-used TC rims with horrible rubber on them. It's also getting very pricey running 3 classes a week so looking to save a buck wherever I can
Old 01-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarf View Post
I've done a search but can't turn up anything on this in particular.
I've been racing off road for a couple years and it's fairly standard practice to soak the old rims in acetone and reuse them.

Is this possible with onroad rubber? Assuming the rims are in decent shape?
I tried it with tamiya TC rims a few years ago and they melted in the acetone.

I've got a bunch of hardly-used TC rims with horrible rubber on them. It's also getting very pricey running 3 classes a week so looking to save a buck wherever I can
Acetone resistance is going to vary between manufacturers. Only thing you can do is try soaking one of the wheels and see what happens.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I use acetone on HPI vintage wheels when the vta rubber is done. HPI's plastics take acetone with no issue as long as it's not plated chrome. That will come off. If you plan on throwing out the rubber and foam and are just saving the wheels acetone is the easy way to go.

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Tech Master

Any Plastic, rubber, nylon based products will melt with Acetone or MEK solvents. Hi school science.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you aren't sure what material your TC wheels are, you should test if the plastic reacts to the acetone before soaking.

A good idea I just found on the internet is to dip a q-tip into acetone, then rub it on the plastic (in this case I would test on the inside of the wheel). If the plastic becomes sticky/tacky or otherwise starts to melt, then you know it won't work on that particular wheel.

Personally I have been successful removing old tires/glue off the HPI Vintage wheels by soaking them in acetone. Not sure what type of plastic those wheels are made of, but they don't react negatively to acetone. The acetone will take off any chrome plating on HPI Vintage wheels.

You can search here on RC Tech to find several threads about removing old tires from wheels. There are 2 other common methods for removing tires - Baking or Freezing them off. The baking method apparently can be very smelling (toxic fumes?) and you have to be careful not to burn yourself when you are pulling the tires off the wheels. The Freezing method causes the glue to become brittle, but you may have to scrap off any leftover glue residue. A 3rd less common approach would be to cut off the old tires and grind/sand away any left over rubber or glue.

For a budget minded racer, reusing wheels can save a few bucks. Just make sure to keep in mind that it can be a time consuming process. Also make sure to thoroughly examine the wheel for any damage before reusing.

Hope this info helps.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Acetone works well on Nylon-based rims. Other types of plastic might be dissolved as mentioned by others already.
Some manufacturer's mention the type of plastic used in their tc rims... check out the descriptions on the internet stores. If not, your only alternative is to try one and see what happens.

Also note that it is the acetone FUMES that do the work. So it actually works better if you DON'T IMMERSE the rim in the acetone. I use this method:
Cut the tire off the rim leaving maybe about 1/8" which is still glued to the rim. I use scissors for this -- takes about 28 seconds. Remove the tire insert -- if you've been careful with the cutting you can probably re-use it.
Pour 1/4" to 3/8" of acetone into a tin coffee can. Put the rim in the coffee can on top of something that will hold it up out of the acetone. I use 1" pieces of copper pipe, but you can use a rock if that's all you have. It doesn't matter as long as the acetone won't dissolve it. I can fit four tires easily into the coffee can at one time.
Cover the top of the coffee can with aluminum foil, then pop the plastic lid back on over the tin foil to minimize any evaporation. Twiddle your thumbs for several hours... I usually leave it overnight (about 8 hours).
Arm yourself with a paper towel. Take the rim out of the coffee can and use the paper towel to pull off/remove the rubber ring if it hasn't already fallen off, and then wipe up any glue that's left. Done.

Last edited by V-point; 01-12-2015 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
V-point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

+1
robracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Any Plastic, rubber, nylon based products will melt with Acetone or MEK solvents. Hi school science.
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but wow. We've got wrong and elementary level misspelling in the same place. Slow clap.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

bumped an old thread because you're the grammar police

King Douche
phatboislim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Well, someone needs to correct that school science and let you know that nylon won't.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-point View Post
Cut the tire off the rim leaving maybe about 1/8" which is still glued to the rim. I use scissors for this -- takes about 28 seconds. .

I think you have failed to realize this is the best part of the thread.

Precision, my friends, precision.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just bought a new set of ride 24's and second run cracked a rim.

So I found a bunch of old sweep tires that had good rims. 4 days in the vapor took them off easy.

The ride rims where even easier to take off. After being in the container for 2 days the vapor tuned them too mush. The rim peeled off like a banana.

super easy.
TCS_FUN is offline   Reply With Quote