R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #46
Tech Master

Everybody brings up cost.... I don't care what you RACE. The moment you race something against somebody else it gonna start costing money. Slot cars. Rc Cars, Karts, Bikes, Full scale race cars. I have raced them all and it all costs money. Now the amount of amusement I get for that money decides where I spend it. I get almost as much fun racing RC cars as I do Full size cars for way less money. You don't have to spend a small fortune to have fun.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #47
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
Everybody brings up cost.... I don't care what you RACE. The moment you race something against somebody else it gonna start costing money. Slot cars. Rc Cars, Karts, Bikes, Full scale race cars. I have raced them all and it all costs money. Now the amount of amusement I get for that money decides where I spend it. I get almost as much fun racing RC cars as I do Full size cars for way less money. You don't have to spend a small fortune to have fun.
Totally agree. I wasn't even racing, just doing a normal track day on my motorcycle. Spent $250+ for a full day entry free. Low-sided my bike at Laguna Seca on the 2nd session and was done for the day (couldn't fix my bike because no one had a rear set I needed). Broke my left rear set, broke a chunk of my left handlebar, bent clutch lever, grinded down frame sliders. And scraped my kangaroo leathers, my gloves, and my race fairings too. Luckily when I went down, I did not bang up my helmet, that would have been another $400+ to replace for the same one. One guy on the same day high sided and trashed his Ducati 1098, punctured a lung, and had to be airlifted to a hospital..

Bang for buck, RC does it for me. Maybe video games are a cheaper alternative for me too.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #48
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Absolute truth

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #49
Tech Apprentice

Default orlando tracks?

Anybody know of any outdoor/indoor race tracks for touring cars near the Orlando FL area or no further than an hour away? myself and a friend would love to find a track to race/practice/have fun! we just race and mess around in parking lots after hours but I wish I could try a real racetrack....... just got into this hobby few months ago got a tc4 and would love to see what it can do.....
NewXGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I think the orginal post could be very misleading. To question "Is blank dead?" could be asked and answered in numerous ways. It's a loaded question that was asked seamingly without making a phone call to the local hobby shop.

BTW, I race 1/8 nitro with foam tires, they last as long as you'd like. When a club member heard I was interested in 1/8 onroad, I got more tires than I could ever use. Each set has lasted for more than 2 hours of run time. on Asphlat. Perhaps your parkinglot races could make that worse.

One thing that this post is really exposing, is that people don't communicate well. If you're "club" racing, ask your "club" members if they have old cars/tires or informatin on where else to race.

Club racing needs to take care of each other. Nitro guys understand that it is an uphill battle to get more into the class, so they offer old cars/motors/tires/tuninghelp... it's amazing what a club can do together.

The catalog shoppers that need the latest and greatest exotic gear make things look more difficult than it has to be.
tommy911t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewXGen View Post
Anybody know of any outdoor/indoor race tracks for touring cars near the Orlando FL area or no further than an hour away? myself and a friend would love to find a track to race/practice/have fun! we just race and mess around in parking lots after hours but I wish I could try a real racetrack....... just got into this hobby few months ago got a tc4 and would love to see what it can do.....

Full Throttle raceway:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Orla...98!2d28.282691
tommy911t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post
I think you are backpedaling pretty hard that people have called you out on. You specifically mention OFF-ROAD in your post, the thread is calling TOURING CAR popularity into question.

Bottom line, costs are comparable (or slightly cheaper even) for on road tc when compared to all the items you mentioned.
Not backpedaling at all.I think I clarified this in my second post.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
You understand this the "ELECTRIC On Road" section right ?
yes I understand that. So others can bring up Off road but I can't bring up nitro?
Old 01-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Exclamation

Back on topic.....the answer is NO! Touring car is love\hate, you either love it(as I do) or you don't(more power to ya!). But either way it isn't dead and isn't going to die no matter how much people want it to. I don't care if I have to drive a long ways to get to carpet and I'd be willing to bet there are more like me out there that feel the same. Long live TC!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #55
Tech Addict

no distance is to great for good times.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #56
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLSPEED View Post
no distance is to great for good times.
Agree 110%!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #57
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stiles View Post
Struggling for numbers in indoor electric on-road?
Fed up with excessive equipment and running costs in 1/10 tc?
Got a small to medium sized carpet track nearby?
Looking for something simpler, cheaper and more accessible?

You need GT12 folks! In 3 years it's grown to be 3-4 times the size of 1/12 in the UK. We have national championship meetings that are full and I've had several clubs contact me to say that 'GT12 saved their club'. It's also resulted in an upturn in 1/12 numbers too as people who started with GT12 a couple of years ago are now moving into 1/12 looking for something a bit quicker and more technical. We also have way more juniors racing than we did 3 years ago because there's now a class that they can start out with which is cheap and easy to understand & learn with.
This would be great here. Too bad I am like the only person in America that wants to do it....
Tamiya ClodBuster
GeekSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:40 AM   #58
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy911t View Post
hmm ill have to check them out. not to far from where I live. thanks.

/edit just visited their website and they are only open few days a month =( I wish I could find a track open every weekend for practice/fun runs. oh well parking lot racing will have to do...
NewXGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:46 AM   #59
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSpeed View Post
This would be great here. Too bad I am like the only person in America that wants to do it....
I would run that class too, unfortunately I don't see it being a big class locally. That's a shame though because to me they look better than traditional 12th scale which I already thought looked pretty cool.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:55 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewXGen View Post
hmm ill have to check them out. not to far from where I live. thanks.

/edit just visited their website and they are only open few days a month =( I wish I could find a track open every weekend for practice/fun runs. oh well parking lot racing will have to do...
It's where the 2014 Worlds were held.
Really nice venue
http://fullthrottlercraceway.com/
https://www.facebook.com/fullthrottlercraceway?fref=ts
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote