R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #31
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I got back into rc racing after a 6 year break mostly as it's cheaper to race now than it used to be. Tires have come a long way, I'd be shocked if you could go through 3 sets of tires in a club race on any kind of electric car. Top local drivers are going 2-3 compleat race days per set. I run 1/12 and can get 2 sometimes 3 race days per set for club racing. As far as kit prices they have all come up. You can spend as little as you like or more. Getting the most of what you have is the key to it not $$. But the first thing you need to remember is that this is a hobby for the majority of racers. Only a few race rc cars for a living. Do it for fun first and always remember that's what it's about for most people.
Scirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #32
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Yeah, I read that comment and said out loud "Huh?" . In 17.5 TC I easily get 2 full race days out of a set, sometimes more. Sometimes I get 2 full days out of a set in mod TC, but they are less than great on the last run usually. This is open tire, on carpet. Asphalt can eat tires much faster of course.

USGT tires last for months for most people I know. They look like motorcycle tires near the end, but they still seem to perform fine.

Sugared offroad, you're lucky you got a full day out of a set. lol.
I don't want to think about how much I spent on offroad tires last summer.
+1
Our outdoor club racing mandates we can run any tire we want as long as they arent over 30.00 per set. Jacos or sweeps usually fit the bill nicely .
I typically can get two full race days with no significant drop offs,after 3 race days they become practice tires.
My usgt tires have practice time,12 heats and 4 mains run on them and still look great and truly seem to get better the more I run them.

insanity takes it's toll...please have exact change
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Exclamation

The "average" club racer uses 3 sets a day???? I use a set about every 6 racedays or so on carpet. Most of the time they are still usable but have fallen off in grip and the lap times prove it. If you're using 3 sets a day I don't wanna run that track!
Old 01-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
I think he was referring to 1/8 scale. I doubt you can outfit one of those for $1000 or less, with radio gear, nitro OR electric.
Yeah I was actually talking about the price of 1/8th scale racing. For the type of money those guys are spending you could get a used shifter kart, spec miata, or something like that.

That is the type of stuff I have been doing in the 10 or 15 years since I left r/c racing.
FrostyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I truly miss that segment of the hobby used to be my favorite.
Slash4x4mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:48 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Don't think its dead in ours. We lost a nice track a year ago and now we have a couple more popping up instead. W.r.t. cost, on road is a lot cheaper on tires, sugar tracks equals 1 set of rears a heat (in 2wd) and a full set in 4wd. Clay tires on indoor clay last a lot longer though. Off road tires as a lot more expensive as well 25 bucks a pair vs 30 bucks for 4 in a tc.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:18 AM   #37
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I apologize to those who felt a need to make an attempt to act like I don't know what I'm talking about. l gave you too much credit. I was referring to nitro on road "foam tires" When the question was raised which was more expensive that was my answer. It's funny how no one picked up on that

Anyway losiracer25 check out Debbies rc world in Chesapeake VA. When the season starts we run every weekend weather permitting. If it rains bring an off road car or truck. Check it out. They have videos on utube.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:08 AM   #38
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLSPEED View Post
On road racing is by far more expensive than off road. The biggest cost is tires. At 30 to 40 dollars a set the average club racer will go threw two or three sets in a day. Depending on the number of qualifiers they run. Now a big event or a two day race. Multiply that by three.

The other thing is most tracks run electric classes in blinky mode. They say "it keeps it competitive" that's bs. Now we have two experiment with motors. Boosted you can take any motor to the pit and make it competitive.
Quote:
I apologize to those who felt a need to make an attempt to act like I don't know what I'm talking about. l gave you too much credit. I was referring to nitro on road "foam tires" When the question was raised which was more expensive that was my answer. It's funny how no one picked up on that

Anyway losiracer25 check out Debbies rc world in Chesapeake VA. When the season starts we run every weekend weather permitting. If it rains bring an off road car or truck. Check it out. They have videos on utube.
Where in your original post did you mention that you were refering to Nitro On-road... this post is in the electric on-road section, so of course we are all expecting you to be referring to this class! And that will be why no one picked up on it... maybe you want to check your posts before making sarcastic comments like the above!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:49 AM   #39
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mark Stiles

Struggling for numbers in indoor electric on-road?
Fed up with excessive equipment and running costs in 1/10 tc?
Got a small to medium sized carpet track nearby?
Looking for something simpler, cheaper and more accessible?

You need GT12 folks! In 3 years it's grown to be 3-4 times the size of 1/12 in the UK. We have national championship meetings that are full and I've had several clubs contact me to say that 'GT12 saved their club'. It's also resulted in an upturn in 1/12 numbers too as people who started with GT12 a couple of years ago are now moving into 1/12 looking for something a bit quicker and more technical. We also have way more juniors racing than we did 3 years ago because there's now a class that they can start out with which is cheap and easy to understand & learn with.

BRCA 1/12 Electric Circuit Section Chairman
Mark Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:33 AM   #40
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scirocco View Post
I got back into rc racing after a 6 year break mostly as it's cheaper to race now than it used to be. Tires have come a long way, I'd be shocked if you could go through 3 sets of tires in a club race on any kind of electric car. Top local drivers are going 2-3 compleat race days per set. I run 1/12 and can get 2 sometimes 3 race days per set for club racing. As far as kit prices they have all come up. You can spend as little as you like or more. Getting the most of what you have is the key to it not $$. But the first thing you need to remember is that this is a hobby for the majority of racers. Only a few race rc cars for a living. Do it for fun first and always remember that's what it's about for most people.

+1 You can make the hobby as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it.

Talent and $ separately will only take you so far. You don't need the newest stuff to win

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:30 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
On road racing is by far more expensive than off road. The biggest cost is tires. At 30 to 40 dollars a set the average club racer will go threw two or three sets in a day. Depending on the number of qualifiers they run. Now a big event or a two day race. Multiply that by three.

The other thing is most tracks run electric classes in blinky mode. They say "it keeps it competitive" that's bs. Now we have two experiment with motors. Boosted you can take any motor to the pit and make it competitive.
I run at the same track. Electric tc 1 set of tires will last 2-3 races. Blinky is the most competitive class. No experiment needed. Come ask me this outdoor season. I'll have you hooked up and fast. Spending no more than you would for mod or open esc. Yes dated motors won't work as good as new ones. The saying speed cost money. How fast do you want to go? applies more to nitro.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #42
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Where in your original post did you mention that you were referring to Nitro On-road... this post is in the electric on-road section, so of course we are all expecting you to be referring to this class! And that will be why no one picked up on it... maybe you want to check your posts before making sarcastic comments like the above!
Why did I have to point out the fact that I was talking about nitro? A lot of posters pointed out that they get multiple runs out of rubber tires . It was obvious what I was referring to. It's all good though all threads take a slight turn.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Why did I have to point out the fact that I was talking about nitro? A lot of posters pointed out that they get multiple runs out of rubber tires . It was obvious what I was referring to. It's all good though all threads take a slight turn.
I think you are backpedaling pretty hard that people have called you out on. You specifically mention OFF-ROAD in your post, the thread is calling TOURING CAR popularity into question.

Bottom line, costs are comparable (or slightly cheaper even) for on road tc when compared to all the items you mentioned.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Why did I have to point out the fact that I was talking about nitro?
You understand this the "ELECTRIC On Road" section right ?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
You understand this the "ELECTRIC On Road" section right ?

+1