hpi rally help

Old 01-07-2015, 06:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default hpi rally help

Hello

this is my first thread as i am a new member so if im doing this wrong please let me know thank you.

I recently got a hpi rs4 rally and the front body post and bumper is broke i was wondering what parts can i use to replace it like the sprint 2 or any other or if i can upgrade to aluminum set up mostly buy my parts off ebay.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Replace the parts with composite parts, its cheaper at LHS, Web or HPI. Part#'s in manual. Aluminum parts maybe expensive for a rookie. Learn how to control the model first. Then decide. Aluminum part do bend, easily as composite. My opinion to a new comer.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Tech Rookie

the part number is a a489 which is discontinued from hpi and now where on the u.s ebay site
Old 01-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Tech Rookie

looking for a mod that will work for it or any other models that will work with the rs4 rally, i knock it into a curb in apartment complex it just took off had a bad esc
Old 01-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

body post should be an easy fix - any company's body posts will work in a pinch, just make sure you replace body, so the body doesn't end up crooked.. I know HPI has multiple kits that have body posts that'll work on the rally

the bumper, depending on how bad its damage can probably be patched. any chance you can post a pic online someplace so someone can see how badly it is?

the problem with a 'mod' is that the rally uses a kicked up front bumper, where most cars use a flat bumper - and a flat bumper won't bend to the right angles as the standard piece

sadly, rally parts are hard to come buy anymore - rest assured, you got a kick ass rally chassis. its just going to be a little more of a hunt to find the correct replacement parts. i'd never recommend (newbie or experienced) to replace composite parts with aluminum.. aluminum is nice and you get a 'bling' factor - but, in most cases, are heavier and can bend and cause other issues
Old 01-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok thank you I'll stick to plastic or composite other than aluminum, I'll post a picture soon of it, I just discovered the tie rod end is broke as well what tie rod can I use rs4 pro 3 or sprint 2 will fit it?
Old 01-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Another big question I have is lipo I am running nimh and I like it but I been thinking about going to lipo lately
Old 01-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Tech Champion

this the rod that connects to the steering knuckles? or the one connecting to the c-hub?

either way, anyone's will work as long as its the right size.. just look at the manual for the size.. its a 3mm x something
Old 01-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by FLOUNDERFLOP
Another big question I have is lipo I am running nimh and I like it but I been thinking about going to lipo lately
shouldn't be an issue.. might have to modify the battery holders and make sure that you don't get one that's too tall and it rubs the front belt

just make sure you speedo has a low-voltage cutoff for lipo - lipos don't like to be run 'til they're dead
Old 01-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok will do I'll download the manuals online it didn't come with theme and I'll measure them as well, and I found some nice rs4 lipo holders for about 13$ I just didn't know about the chaRgers or benifits of the lipo
Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by FLOUNDERFLOP
Ok will do I'll download the manuals online it didn't come with theme and I'll measure them as well, and I found some nice rs4 lipo holders for about 13$ I just didn't know about the chaRgers or benifits of the lipo
the manual will have all the sizes in for the linkages

the biggest benefit of lipo is longer, more consistent runtimes. they can be recharge multiple times (nimh would loose some performance if not 'rested' between charges). just need to have the correct charger and balancer
Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

pm me .. i have several and many more parts f/s