Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner Xray T3 2012 indoor setup advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 04:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Beginner Xray T3 2012 indoor setup advice

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place for this so apologies if its in the wrong forum.

My son just moved into TC class in January. He is going to be running in the 17.5t class outdoors but currently in the open class indoors for the winter. Its a bit of a change from the Tamiya M05's we raced last year but the indoor track we run, if anything, doesn't half teach car control. Its on polished floors (Village hall type thing) so its more like drift racing.

Anyhow, the car we have is setup to run outdoors. We have shcumaker mini pins allround fitted now and I have raised the ride height to about 5.5mm front and rear. I have also taken ARB off each end to try to promote some kind of roll to produce grip.

I have camber at 1.5dg front and rear but haven't got down to changing anything else.

My son is still struggling with it tbh. Its fast enough, probably too fast. His fastest lap times are up with the fastest guys but he cant seem to calm it down.

Would changing the pinion & spur gear help? I don't know what is in at the moment but if its set up for the outdoor track, I doubt its suitable for indoors on such a slippy surface.

Would anyone have a suggestion for how to 'dumb' down the car to get it more predictable (I have done as much as I can on the transmitter regarding exponential etc which he said helped)
Old 01-07-2015, 04:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Oh, thanks for any help by the way
Old 01-07-2015, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Front spool if not the case already
blinki'ed speedo
thicker front rollbar
less rear droop
less bumpsteer washers

that should make things easier already and they are "straightforward" mods that have instant impact. Try them first...

Other than that, have a peek at the xray site, their setup db is the most comprehensive on the web

have fun with your sonny!
PAul
Old 01-07-2015, 05:38 AM
Tech Initiate

How would a front spool help on a slippy polished wooden floor?
He is running a HPI firebolt brushed motor atm so that doesn't have any settings on it.
Thicker front ARB? Again, how will this help when I couldn't roll it even if I wanted to

Appreciate the help btw
Old 01-07-2015, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thelittlesthobo
How would a front spool help on a slippy polished wooden floor?
He is running a HPI firebolt brushed motor atm so that doesn't have any settings on it.
Thicker front ARB? Again, how will this help when I couldn't roll it even if I wanted to

Appreciate the help btw
not sure what front transmission on the car atm but spool is the most "securizing" driving scheme... I suspect the car has it already

didn't catch the polished wood thing... but if the car doesn't roll at all, then who cares about suspension setup, just use turnbuckles instead of shocks and give the car 15 degrees rear toe

more seriously: have you thoroughly disassembled this used car of yours? Never, ever race a second-hand car before going thoroughly through it. Shoulda started with this, maybe

PAul
Old 01-07-2015, 06:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Whatever you do dont throw 100 changes to the car at once, or you wont know what worked and what didnt.