Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Touring car tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Touring car tires

I just got my first touring car and was wondering what are good tires and brands. Coming from an off road background all the brands and inserts and everything are foreign to me. I'll most likely be running medium to high grip concrete and high grip carpet. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Ive been looking at the same question too. Im thinking about getting a 3racing sukura zero s. And wondering about a good brand of on road tire. In the off road world its proline aka and so on but in the tc world their really isn't a good sorce of information
Old 12-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lots of options available depending on what you plan on doing and the surface. most people use premounted like sweeps or Jaco these days as in north America we tend to do more spec racing and clubs might suggest a sec tire used.

shore rating depends on temperature and surface but a good place to start would be checking to see what the local guys are using at the track

I like to use Schumacher 28bk, great tire for low to med grip in cooler conditions for carpet, very consistant
Old 12-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you for the direction and help. I know stock tires are only good for getting the power right in your ride and when you turn them into slicks its time to get a real set of tires. I run in va
Old 12-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Check with your local track first to see if they have a spec tire.

If not, here are a few good choices to start with that are widely available in the US:

Carpet:
Sorex 28 (the fastest, but also most expensive and wear quicker)
Jaco Blue
Sweep QTS32 (not as fast, but last forever)

Asphalt:
Sorex 32 or 36 (depending on weather)
Solaris 35EX
Sweep 36 Evo
Old 12-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

First ask at the tracks you are planning on racing at if they have a spec tyre. No point buying whatever anyone elses favourite is if you can't run it at your local club.

Here in the UK for carpet the popular tyres are the Sorex XG-28RK and XG-32RK. 28s for low grip/cold weather and 32s for high grip/warm weather.

Outdoors the Sorex XG-32RY is the tyre of choice, so good the racers themselves chose it as the spec tyre for our nationals.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricPF
Check with your local track first to see if they have a spec tire.

If not, here are a few good choices to start with that are widely available in the US:

Carpet:
Sorex 28 (the fastest, but also most expensive and wear quicker)
Jaco Blue
Sweep QTS32 (not as fast, but last forever)

Asphalt:
Sorex 32 or 36 (depending on weather)
Solaris 35EX
Sweep 36 Evo
Fully aggreed, although the sorex 28 is not that fast wearing either on carpet. The abbrasiveness of the surface determines the wear rate pretty much. Sweep tends to last longer regardless and also very consistent so I recommend those for starting out. Make sure you use the correct tire sauce too, just look at what other people are using at the track and buy it. And buy stronger wheels like sweep natural stiff, exotek spoked, or Tamiya line of wheels for good durability for starting out also.