Wiki Posts
Search

New damper set for 1:10 Touring cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New damper set for 1:10 Touring cars

Hello Guys

I am planning to make the new air damper for 1:10 Touring cars and I'd like to know how many would like to have a damper set, in order to optimise the serie to make.

Please write which car you have and specify the damper length fully extended from center of mounting holes (eye to eye).

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Tech Rookie

It's a Damper of a brand new generation. It hasn't oil in it and is without the coil spring, just air pressure, easy to maintain, very strong contruction and eco-friendly.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

How would one adjust such a system? The current shock design allows for tons of adjustability; oil viscosity, piston hole size, spring rate, and pre-load to adjust ride hight. Maybe you should post up yohr design or at least explain how you plan to address tuning with these shocks.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by theproffesor
How would one adjust such a system? The current shock design allows for tons of adjustability; oil viscosity, piston hole size, spring rate, and pre-load to adjust ride hight. Maybe you should post up yohr design or at least explain how you plan to address tuning with these shocks.
The pressure increases "irregular", during the compression of damper, it gets harder. You just adjust the volume size of damper and put the right pressure.

don't you think it's time for a new damper, like the brushless motor and LiPo came out to improve our hobby?!?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:34 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor

I wouldn't. He might be on to something no doubt. You could adjust them very similar to how you adjust the oil filled ones.

If it works correctly, it might even be better. Less messy and a pain at the least.

Most people are scared of little changes, I for one like innovative ideas.

Good luck to you. Don't worry about the VTA guys, their cars aren't fast enough to feel changes anyway....
Old 12-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Im all for changes, just would like to understand the physics behind the part before pledging any $$$.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'll measure some shocks and pm you the length.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by estefano
The pressure increases "irregular", during the compression of damper, it gets harder. You just adjust the volume size of damper and put the right pressure.

don't you think it's time for a new damper, like the brushless motor and LiPo came out to improve our hobby?!?

There has never been to my recollection, an air damper in motor racing, that has surpassed the performance of spring oil systems

In the interest of weight savings, much work has been, and is still ongoing in this area

Good luck to you
Will be looking in on this discussion with much interest
Old 12-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Most air shocks that I know of are a combo of oil and nitrogen. Just air alone won't get you there unless you're just looking for an air spring.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

I have run Nitrogen Sprung shock assemblies on my Full Scale off road stuff before (Ultra 4 type stuff) and have always come back to conventional Coil Spring coil overs. The "Air Shocks" are lighter but the spring rate changes through the stroke at a very steep curve. It makes it harder to setup then a linear steel coil spring. Also the fact that a broken "Air" Spring means that that particular corner of the vehicle is now riding on the hydraulic bump stop is the reason for going back to coils. If I break a coil spring (only ever broken one in 12 years of racing full scale and only broke 1 and half turns off) whats left still holds that corner off of he ground.
The Coils are a very old technology that is very proven in the field of Motorsports. Sometimes I think simple is better.
I look forward to seeing these in person and would order a set just to see how the work.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm all for innovation and different thinking but this is essentially like replacing the shocks/struts/springs on a real car with air bags. Yes you can alter the pressure in them but you can't control damping ability without also effectively changing the air spring rate. It's primarily only used as an accessory to a standard suspension to aid in holding the rear end of a vehicle up temporarily while hauling something heavy or by those with low riders who want a certain look. It is never used as a performance modification and rightly so.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

compressed air also changes pressure significantly to changes in temperature. Not saying its a bad idea, just another thing to think about
Old 12-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
I'm all for innovation and different thinking but this is essentially like replacing the shocks/struts/springs on a real car with air bags. Yes you can alter the pressure in them but you can't control damping ability without also effectively changing the air spring rate. It's primarily only used as an accessory to a standard suspension to aid in holding the rear end of a vehicle up temporarily while hauling something heavy or by those with low riders who want a certain look. It is never used as a performance modification and rightly so.
No reason whatsoever that damping and springing have to be tied together. This can be accomplished by separating the two functions into separate chambers. Factory supercross bikes are almost all using air sprung forks and KTM was experimenting with an air shock. Using air is not limited to lowriders and load levelers for trucks. A big issue is the amount of seal drag since tolerances have to be very tight in order to keep the air in. Negative springs help but this is a level of complexity that I'd rather avoid with my toy cars.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would probably give them a try, I need 50mm & 55mm sizes. Need more info, specifications and price shipped to USA. Repair and or replacement parts ????
Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)

Can't knock it to you try it...I would love to see some feedback
after testing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.