R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #16
Tech Rookie

I personaly testet these Dampers on the 1:10 Buggy TRF501X WE and they work fine on a Off-road and On-road Tracks open for training. I use a Viper ESC with motor 6.5 Turns and Orion LiPo 5.5A, Damper sizes 75mm and 95mm.

The size 55mm should work, I made some fisical calculations and the air spring generated should be fine.

You must first give them a try, then you can say which is better. Like I did.
estefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #17
Tech Rookie

Calling air dampers the technology of a new generation is a bit of a stretch, as the Mugen Bulldog used air dampers and is shortly celebrating it's 30th birthday.
Callisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
Calling air dampers the technology of a new generation is a bit of a stretch, as the Mugen Bulldog used air dampers and is shortly celebrating it's 30th birthday.
Sorry, as you said those are 30 years old, they are much different as my shocks, and even one shock for two wheels, absolutly not to compare of.
estefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Yeah, I think you need to show us some more info before anyone would commit to buying. Otherwise you're just asking how many people would buy a new car before knowing what's new about it and if it's going to be better in any way than the car everybody already has. I don't think I've seen a new car ad like that ever.

Brushless and lipos came out of both improvement on the previous systems and better overall reliability, higher capacities, etc. None of that is obvious with your dampers judging by the very thin info you have provided. Brushless and lipo were not planned by anyone because "it was time for something new" as you propose in your first post. They simply won the races an everybody wanted one.

And by the way, the Awesomatix has a very different suspension system which is perhaps better, but has not won over the market, nor has it proven to be a crucial race winning advantage.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 01-02-2015 at 03:02 AM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #20
Tech Rookie

The primary problem of miniature air shocks is that they rely so heavily on the seal, which is heavily affected by coefficients of expansion and the seal itself. Many shocks listed as air dampers are more correctly friction dampers of the rubber o ring generating heat.

Could you please state which aluminium alloy they are made of, whether they are anodized/hard anodized and teflon coated and the piston and seal material, as if these haven't been chosen with coefficients of expansion in mind, the performance will change under heat and usage.

Air shocks are much more susceptible to any dirt inside causing seal damage. Please detail the o-ring seal you use as any wear changes characteristics, and what proportion of damping is seal friction heating in your tests.
Callisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by estefano View Post
Hello Guys

I am planning to make the new air damper for 1:10 Touring cars and I'd like to know how many would like to have a damper set, in order to optimise the serie to make.

Please write which car you have and specify the damper length fully extended from center of mounting holes (eye to eye).

Thanks everyone!
There are many alternative approaches in which to focus the scope of your product design. Since many existing TC shocks have a similar length, stroke, bore, etc., you may consider designing a generic shock that can be adapted across brands. Narrowing your design to accommodate only one TC brand may limit your market capacity. For a novel technology you may consider designing the product so it can be widely utilized.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote