Brushed motor dyno to brushless conversion >

Brushed motor dyno to brushless conversion

Brushed motor dyno to brushless conversion

Old 09-13-2014, 03:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Brushed motor dyno to brushless conversion

Hi all

I have a Trinity monster horsepower motor dyno for brushed motors from eons ago (been out of the game for a while). Is it possible to convert these for use with brushless motors? Main problem is the 3 phases input on brushless motors compared to positive/negative input on brushed motors.

Thanks for your help
Old 09-13-2014, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zhangesh
Hi all

I have a Trinity monster horsepower motor dyno for brushed motors from eons ago (been out of the game for a while). Is it possible to convert these for use with brushless motors? Main problem is the 3 phases input on brushless motors compared to positive/negative input on brushed motors.

Thanks for your help
I believe the trick is to used a brushless ESC between the power leads, on the dyno, and the motor. You then run up the motor with your radio.

Others on the forum may have better info.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

The Orca BMD Brushless Motor Driver is designed specifically to convert brushed dynos to brushless.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mooby64
I believe the trick is to used a brushless ESC between the power leads, on the dyno, and the motor. You then run up the motor with your radio.

Others on the forum may have better info.
All you need is a cheap brushless ESC (I use a HobbyWing Just Stock) with no timing. A spare receiver and a transmitter radio. Set both the radio and the ESC to get to max power as fast as possible when the throttle is pulled. I run the receiver off an external battery pack. Then its a matter of hooking the ESC + & - terminals to the power leads from the dyno that used to be solder to the brushed motor. Hook the ESC to the brushless motor just like you would if the motor were installed in your car. Then its a matter of starting the dyno and pulling the throttle on the radio at the same time.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Or you could use an Astro Flight Servo Tester Model 105 in place of the radio and receiver.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Advil
Or you could use an Astro Flight Servo Tester Model 105 in place of the radio and receiver.
Really depends on how fast you can get from zero to full throttle by turning that knob. I can pull the trigger on my radio pretty fast, plus I can put exponential to get to more throttle faster too with my radio. Between the ESC and the radio the main objective is to get to full throttle as fast a possible to make the dyno think it's testing a brushed motor.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

I am spoiled using an old GTB. I just leave the servo tester at full throttle and turn on the turbo dyno. Instant full throttle.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Advil
I am spoiled using an old GTB. I just leave the servo tester at full throttle and turn on the turbo dyno. Instant full throttle.
Who said you can't teach old dogs new tricks? Well this old dog learned something new, holding the throttle at 100% then running the dyno works on the Fantom dyno too. The motor makes a horrible cogging noise until you click on the run the motor button, but it works. For me, I happened to have all the spare parts I used laying around my workshop, so it was a no cost solution.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
Who said you can't teach old dogs new tricks? Well this old dog learned something new, holding the throttle at 100% then running the dyno works on the Fantom dyno too. The motor makes a horrible cogging noise until you click on the run the motor button, but it works. For me, I happened to have all the spare parts I used laying around my workshop, so it was a no cost solution.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Tech Adept

Is the ORCA BMD still available?