Need advice

Old 12-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Need advice

Hi all,
I'm new to RCTECH and very excited to get into the world of RC racing! I recently purchased a second hand X-Ray T4 that I'm building and need some advice on what ESC to use. It has a Team Orion 21.5t motor which suits because I'm going to be running Sportmans 21.5t class but I'm unsure on which ESC to purchase. It will be blinky mode, do I spend a little more and get a good ESC or do I just buy a cheaper ESC.
There are so many choices out there! Please advise a good brand!
can someone please help?
Old 12-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

if they run blinky then get a hobby wing justock. great esc for the money. comes with a fan too. about $50 usd. or if you want higher end i would reccomend a lrp flow esc. great esc very programmable and pretty bullet proof. been using mine for a year with no issues.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Hobbywing would work well for blinky, as would a Speed Passion Club Racer. Also around $50.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dragonracing
if they run blinky then get a hobby wing justock. great esc for the money. comes with a fan too. about $50 usd. or if you want higher end i would reccomend a lrp flow esc. great esc very programmable and pretty bullet proof. been using mine for a year with no issues.
Thanks for replying! I was thinking if I enjoy it I may want to progress to 13.5t so a higher end ESC might be a better choice.
I will check both out! thanks for your help...
Old 12-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Another question, do they come ready for blinky or do I have to purchase the program card?
Old 12-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

The justock is only blinky.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

The Club Racer can only run in blinky mode. All that can be changed through the programming card is brake strength, lipo cutoff, and throttle mapping. Essentially, if you ever plan on moving up past stock classes, you'll want a different esc. Their Reventon S or R can be switched to mod and boost modes, but you'll need the programming card and the computer software. They too can be found for relatively cheap.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by longuylander
The Club Racer can only run in blinky mode. All that can be changed through the programming card is brake strength, lipo cutoff, and throttle mapping. Essentially, if you ever plan on moving up past stock classes, you'll want a different esc. Their Reventon S or R can be switched to mod and boost modes, but you'll need the programming card and the computer software. They too can be found for relatively cheap.
Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at the speed passion, could be a good option!
Old 12-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

the lrp flow can be changed in the esc itself without a program card from blinky to non blinky.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all your help, both the LRP and Speed Passion look good, I just found that Team Orion have a stock ESC. Would that suit the motor better with them both being Orion?
Old 12-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Probably won't be a popular answer in here but I have found the team Orion speedo to make more torque than anything else including the hobbywing, lrp and tekin. Not very popular in the states but one of the biggest everywhere else
Old 12-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For $78 the Justock and LCD Programming box is tough to beat for blinky.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Hobbyking X car 120a. About $45 shipped with the USB dongle. Download hobbywing blinky software. You can get the $10 hobbywing programming card for at track changes.

This will allow you to go all the way up to mod if you choose.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kegson
Thanks for all your help, both the LRP and Speed Passion look good, I just found that Team Orion have a stock ESC. Would that suit the motor better with them both being Orion?
Get in touch with Walters Hobbies at Fairfield area (Sydney) & they can help you with all you need
Old 12-19-2014, 03:28 AM
Tech Regular

Greetings. If your funds can permit, you can go with the higher priced esc's. Many around the forums have been contented with Hobbywing/Hobbyking's esc's(see attached)- though i've not been able to get enough practice time with these, i'm happy with these cos' they're within my rc budget. The Hobbywing Justock Clubspec(pictured on right) is a decent fit in my 12th scale(onroad) with a shorty battery. This is a simple reason why i'd bought this esc. The two on the left are basically the same Turnigy XCar 120amp[the Xcar was shipped out of China] where the other was from BrushlessHobbies.com. These (3)are compatible with the same program box.Anyways , goodluck with your choice.
Attached Thumbnails Need advice-hobbyking-h.wing.jpg  

Last edited by oreo; 12-19-2014 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Specification.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.