R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Some eye candy.
Attached Thumbnails
RSD RR12 12th Scale Pan Car Kit-img_20141225_135234.jpg   RSD RR12 12th Scale Pan Car Kit-img_20141225_135151.jpg   RSD RR12 12th Scale Pan Car Kit-img_20141225_135510.jpg   RSD RR12 12th Scale Pan Car Kit-img_20141225_135540.jpg  
Old 12-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Have you considered putting tape slots in the chassis so the in-line battery config can go on the right side of the car as well? Tracks like the IIC with a right hand sweeper would benefit from having the battery on that side.
Aren't most sweepers to the right? We have not tested in that configuration, but I would venture out to say that a car that is balanced left to right, there should be no difference in performance whether the battery is on the left side or right side. But, one of the advantages that we have is that we can offer customization to the cars' chassis as per customer requests. If this is something you want done, we can totally accommodate it.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #33
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Aren't most sweepers to the right? We have not tested in that configuration, but I would venture out to say that a car that is balanced left to right, there should be no difference in performance whether the battery is on the left side or right side. But, one of the advantages that we have is that we can offer customization to the cars' chassis as per customer requests. If this is something you want done, we can totally accommodate it.
Here's a three year old post from Josh Cyrul on the subject:

I made the chassis adjustable for the track you race on - Example - Snowbirds (mostly left turns) put the pack on the left due to higher CG of the pack. IIC (mostly right turns) put the pack on the right... This is my .02 on this one.

As for me, I prefer good old transverse.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #34
Tech Elite

I can't say that I necessarily agree with that. I don't think a battery has a higher CG than a servo or an esc like a HW V3.1 today. Perhaps 3 years ago, or with different electronics, this may be meaningful, but I don't think it is something easy to measure.

I could be totally wrong though, and if this is something people want available to them, we can again, add it.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #35
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
if this is something people want available to them, we can again, add it.
I'd like an F1 conversion with all the features the RR12 features.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #36
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'm kinda with you on that but would love to do an exaggerated test to confirm. Imagine two 40 gram weights. Mount one on the extreme right side of the car. Mount the other on the extreme left but on a really tall standoff. Something so high it sticks out of the body. Make sure the car is balanced and tweak free and run it. See if there is any handling difference left to right, then switch sides and repeat.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I'm kinda with you on that but would love to do an exaggerated test to confirm. Imagine two 40 gram weights. Mount one on the extreme right side of the car. Mount the other on the extreme left but on a really tall standoff. Something so high it sticks out of the body. Make sure the car is balanced and tweak free and run it. See if there is any handling difference left to right, then switch sides and repeat.
I still don't understand what the point of the experiment would be. You won't ever be running an exaggerated set up if your car is balanced, so all practical applications of it are really not relevant.

RC Buddha, We plan to eventually make an F1 car down the road, as well as a World GT Car.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Are the conversions available now or at same time as the kits ?

Last edited by 303slowdown; 12-25-2014 at 07:05 PM.
303slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Same time as kits.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #40
Tech Initiate

Jorge T

What center shock is that?

Thanks
NCOHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:54 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Quote:
I can't say that I necessarily agree with that. I don't think a battery has a higher CG than a servo or an esc like a HW V3.1 today. Perhaps 3 years ago, or with different electronics, this may be meaningful, but I don't think it is something easy to measure.

I could be totally wrong though, and if this is something people want available to them, we can again, add it.
The battery is taller so inherently the CG will be higher. Another thing to consider...going to the center mounted floating servo mount is to keep the chassis flex characteristics the same on either side of the chassis...The same would hold true with the slots for battery tape. Without the extra set of slots the flex characteristics of that part of the chassis will be different on each side of the chassis.
www.apexrc.com - Hawaii's #1 RC Proshop

Share & Like Our Page:https://www.facebook.com/ApexRCProshop
Win free stuff!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I doubt a small slot will change the chassis flex characteristics at all. The Yokomo C3 has a fair sized cutout for the servo saver. So far no one has made any judgements about it's flex characteristics.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:25 AM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
The battery is taller so inherently the CG will be higher. Another thing to consider...going to the center mounted floating servo mount is to keep the chassis flex characteristics the same on either side of the chassis...The same would hold true with the slots for battery tape. Without the extra set of slots the flex characteristics of that part of the chassis will be different on each side of the chassis.
The battery is not taller then some of the newer ESCs, for example the HW ESC is roughly 2.5mm taller then any 1s battery. I can't speak for any other speedos but there are several others out there that are fairly tall as well.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #44
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default rr12

i think you guys are taking it a little to serious.it would be nice to have a choice in which side you want the battery on.it all comes down to the driver and some good luck to win
Old 12-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Ed and kave, thanks for your answers. This is essentially how I feel as well these issues.

We'll make a change on it, the pictures you see are still prototypes and I am still testing a few variations on the chassis before I settle in on a final "production" chassis.

One thing that I can add is that there is no need for tape when running the car inline. The Uni-mount doubles as a battery hold down when running the battery inline. You basically have to loosen the 2 screws on it at the bottom to slide the battery in and out, but once it is in place, the shock mounting hole section doubles as a battery hold down. This, when combined with the rear brace, locates and holds down the battery on the chassis without the need for tape.