R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree5Likes

Old 09-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #256
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

So it only uses one spring in the tube or two ?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #257
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

To my knowledge only one spring and no sway bar as of yet but I know he has it in mind and a place for one.

I've watched it closely go around the track and it does soak up the bumps better. When it hits one of the dots on the corner, it soaks it up way better than my traditional front end. I know this front end is going to be really good on bumpy tracks. I'm willing to bet it will be really good on high bite tracks too.
bdmpastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #258
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 352 (100%+)

The new design is simply amazing, as soon as I can I will pre order a full kit but so far the features offered in this kit are simply the best ideas in this class. 12 scale is one of the purest forms of Rc racing and so far everything looks great. This car is going to be better than anything out there. I know it will give any car a run for its money. Best of luck
Old 09-22-2015, 10:29 PM   #259
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
To my knowledge only one spring and no sway bar as of yet but I know he has it in mind and a place for one.

I've watched it closely go around the track and it does soak up the bumps better. When it hits one of the dots on the corner, it soaks it up way better than my traditional front end. I know this front end is going to be really good on bumpy tracks. I'm willing to bet it will be really good on high bite tracks too.
If it is a mono-damper/spring between the arms it would need some sort of sway bar or the car will just roll around on the pivot points.
www.apexrc.com - Hawaii's #1 RC Proshop

Share & Like Our Page:https://www.facebook.com/ApexRCProshop
Win free stuff!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:43 PM   #260
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Most of the Yokomo factory drivers have done away with the anti-roll bar on the R12. Works like a treat. However, the factory drivers are running -2.5 fron camber.

What Cristian has going on with his front suspension should work just fine.

Looks awesome!
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

We can't reveal the full details yet, because the front end is still undergoing some revisions. Our default is still to run the car with the reverse mcpherson, which is possible with our front end and both will be included in the kit.

Right now we are running a combination of damper tube and spring on the arm. I like this more. It is so easy to adjust ride height, which is key with a double a-arm front end.

We are still revising the shape of the front end of the car to include a sway bar mount and carbon bumper along with narrowing it a few mm, while optimizing chassis roll.

A double a arm front end rolls closer to the center of the car, so a chassis rubs more like on a sedan than a 12th scale. I still don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it does prevent traction rolling. The mid corner steering is a bit lacking, but the whole car is more composed. In switch backs, long radius 90's and fast chicanes, it is far superior to the reverse mcpherson, but we still have to control the roll on deep corners a bit more to optimize it. Part of it is I think our front spring position needs to move out a bit and closer to the middle of the arm. I might need stiffer springs as well.

I do believe though that this front end will be best with a swaybar, regardless of the way we are springing it.

The one thing I can say is that the damper tube is doing a really nice job. I was a bit skeptical, but the single tube is proving sufficient.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #262
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
Most of the Yokomo factory drivers have done away with the anti-roll bar on the R12... What Cristian has going on with his front suspension should work just fine.
That's good to know. I have some Yokomo front springs on the way, as I think these should be closer to what we need.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #263
Tech Elite

Yokomo drivers are using Team Associated 1/10th long springs. Front springs they test and tune with are .020 and .022 long version. Which should reduce the amount the front end rolls in the corner.

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 09-22-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #264
Tech Elite

is this on their new front end or the old one?
Old 09-23-2015, 12:02 AM   #265
Tech Elite

The C3 and C3.1 front end is running the longer front springs. The new unreleased chassis version looks standard.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #266
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
Most of the Yokomo factory drivers have done away with the anti-roll bar on the R12. Works like a treat. However, the factory drivers are running -2.5 fron camber.

What Cristian has going on with his front suspension should work just fine.

Looks awesome!
They did away with the anti-roll bar because they went to a spring on each arm. If you use a single centralized spring then you would still need a roll bar. Running the spring inside the damper tube would be the same as a single centralized spring.
www.apexrc.com - Hawaii's #1 RC Proshop

Share & Like Our Page:https://www.facebook.com/ApexRCProshop
Win free stuff!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #267
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
They did away with the anti-roll bar because they went to a spring on each arm. If you use a single centralized spring then you would still need a roll bar. Running the spring inside the damper tube would be the same as a single centralized spring.
Do they have droop screws on their arms? The RSD car does and that allows the one spring in the tube to remain in an active state on the outside wheel. The inner wheel is going to bottom out on the droop screw in a corner. Without that droop screw, it's would roll until it mechanically stops and may be out of the point at which the spring has any resistance to keep the car at ride height.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #268
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Same as what Cristian did, he is running 3 springs. One in tube and one on each arm.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #269
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge T View Post
Same as what Cristian did, he is running 3 springs. One in tube and one on each arm.
He must have change that since Saturday then.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #270
Tech Elite

Quote:
Seeing as I have recently run the car with a single centralized spring I can assure you, to get around the track quickly this is not the case. It is very seldom when the suspension is moving in unison to the point that it can lose damping or spring, however the chassis roll is a bit excessive. This definitely can be improved with a sway bar, but is it 100% necessary? Not sure. With the right chassis shape and arm length, maybe not...

With that, As I wrote above, I am testing several different methods of damping and springing the front suspension before the release of the kit. Whatever I find to be the best solution, that is easiest to use and performs the best, that's when we will show you the final production closeup of the front end. Geometry testing is almost over and now I am just left to perfect the way we dampen in, but I am leaning towards spring on the arm and only fluid on tube. Sway or not? I still am not sure. I have to get the correct rate springs to really make a decision on it. What I can say is the bar will at least be offered as an option.