R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2015, 06:29 AM   #211
Tech Elite
 
EDWARD2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,002
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

How's the chassis doing boys? Let's hear your experiences.
__________________
Check out my YouTube channel for 1/12th scale and 1/10th Touring maintenance tips!
YouTube Search https://www.youtube.com/c/EdwardPickering?gvnc=1
                 VBC 12M - D08 - FX
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #212
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,443
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
How's the chassis doing boys? Let's hear your experiences.
Mine has been pretty good so far. I have had a few hiccups that I had to overcome. The main things were Xenon Bulkhead issue and side spring spacing.

With the Xenon bulkheads, one side was not drilled quite the same as the other. I ended up just buying some AE bulkheads as a temp fix and they seem to be just fine left to right. Maybe later I'll purchase another set of Xenon bulkheads and see if I can get a good one out of that set to match my one good Xenon bulkhead. That issue was discussed in the 12th scale thread.

The spring spacing on the rear plate was a little off on the right side. I mentioned this on the page before this one. If you ran the side spring with fat side down, then it would rub up against the side link ever so slightly. I fixed this by slotting the hole inward. Of course if you do this you cannot use the CRC or whatever style screw. But my remedy is posted in the previous page. I think Chris said he has since switched to smaller holes for M3 screws to fit. I don't know if this solves the right side spacing issue or not though.

Kit wise, it was almost complete. I needed to buy some front axle shims so that I could run CRC/BSR front wheels. Otherwise the wheel would just slide left to right on the axle when fully tightened down. I also had to buy front axle wheel nuts as my kit did not have any. Other than that, it was basically a regular kit.

My IRS rear diff came with bent diff rings. One of which was usable, but the other was FUBAR. I had some spares but ended up putting on a set of TKO rings.

Prime shock is awesome. I'm using AE center spring set. Side springs, I'm using kit Orange springs. So far that has been the best feeling spring for the tracks that I run on. If I try kit whites, then the car rotates too much mid-corner. If they included blues, that might be the ticket. Front springs, I use the Xenon set. Mostly .450 mm. Sometimes .475 mm.

I love the front hanging servo mount. Mine fit very tight, so I know there won't be any play with this setup. I wish I had 1mm more adjustment to the left to fit my 9650 dead center. What I did was just dremel the servo wing inward a hair to fit center on the servo plate.

I also bought an aluminium AE screw kit to bring down the weight of the car. Added a Parma front bumper which I cut to fit. The rear axle shims are horrible. I sanded down and reamed out each individual shim to remove the flash left over from being pressed/punched out. I also had a few axle shims laying around that I used to get the spacing I wanted.

Other than all that, the kit went together good with the help of the AE R5.2 manual. Handling was great and I got the car up to speed once I figured out a few things. It's been very competitive on the local level. So far I'm loving it. Just wish the local (nearest) track ran more often.

One thing I would change, and this is just for me, would be extending the rear pod so that I don't have to run 2mm shims to get the wheelbase that I want.

Would I recommend this chassis to anyone? I would recommend the conversion kits more so than my "Premium" kit. The Premium is very pricey. And even though it came with "good" upgrades, I had issues with two of those (bulkhead and diffrings). The chassis does perform. It handles excellent and is very tunable. I mainly got it because it had a "slider" rear pod and wasn't a CRC (I already have one). hehe I'll be running this kit for quite some time. I'm very happy how it turned out.

__________________
M.J. McIntyre

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #213
Tech Elite
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,817
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the feedback. We will definitely take most of the items into consideration. For the Xenon and IRS parts, I will follow up with them on that. I am sure that if you send me the pictures to the store, I can forward them to Xenon and get some replacements issued.

I will send you a new rear cross brace for your car to fix the offset issue, that should not be something you should experience.

As for the extension on the pod, we can make you a different pod piece if you want that will lengthen the pod naturally, you will also need a longer pod top piece/ shock mount. We have the files ready to go and have actually tested with longer wheelbases for high bite.

As for how the car is doing around, we just won the last round of the Texas EOS on asphalt. We found a fantastic set up for asphalt and while other cars were struggling for bite, ours did very well. Locally, the car is doing awesome, but it not being carpet season there is not much movement around the country right now.
__________________
REFLEX RACING/ RSD/ GIZMO RACING USA/ HOBBYWING/ AXON/ QTEQ/ TEAM PRIME
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #214
Tech Master
 
RCBuddha's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,928
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Hey Christian,

How's the F1 conversion coming along?
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #215
Tech Fanatic
 
Cosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 829
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Mine has been pretty good so far. I have had a few hiccups that I had to overcome. The main things were Xenon Bulkhead issue and side spring spacing.

With the Xenon bulkheads, one side was not drilled quite the same as the other. I ended up just buying some AE bulkheads as a temp fix and they seem to be just fine left to right. Maybe later I'll purchase another set of Xenon bulkheads and see if I can get a good one out of that set to match my one good Xenon bulkhead. That issue was discussed in the 12th scale thread.

The spring spacing on the rear plate was a little off on the right side. I mentioned this on the page before this one. If you ran the side spring with fat side down, then it would rub up against the side link ever so slightly. I fixed this by slotting the hole inward. Of course if you do this you cannot use the CRC or whatever style screw. But my remedy is posted in the previous page. I think Chris said he has since switched to smaller holes for M3 screws to fit. I don't know if this solves the right side spacing issue or not though.

Kit wise, it was almost complete. I needed to buy some front axle shims so that I could run CRC/BSR front wheels. Otherwise the wheel would just slide left to right on the axle when fully tightened down. I also had to buy front axle wheel nuts as my kit did not have any. Other than that, it was basically a regular kit.

My IRS rear diff came with bent diff rings. One of which was usable, but the other was FUBAR. I had some spares but ended up putting on a set of TKO rings.

Prime shock is awesome. I'm using AE center spring set. Side springs, I'm using kit Orange springs. So far that has been the best feeling spring for the tracks that I run on. If I try kit whites, then the car rotates too much mid-corner. If they included blues, that might be the ticket. Front springs, I use the Xenon set. Mostly .450 mm. Sometimes .475 mm.

I love the front hanging servo mount. Mine fit very tight, so I know there won't be any play with this setup. I wish I had 1mm more adjustment to the left to fit my 9650 dead center. What I did was just dremel the servo wing inward a hair to fit center on the servo plate.

I also bought an aluminium AE screw kit to bring down the weight of the car. Added a Parma front bumper which I cut to fit. The rear axle shims are horrible. I sanded down and reamed out each individual shim to remove the flash left over from being pressed/punched out. I also had a few axle shims laying around that I used to get the spacing I wanted.

Other than all that, the kit went together good with the help of the AE R5.2 manual. Handling was great and I got the car up to speed once I figured out a few things. It's been very competitive on the local level. So far I'm loving it. Just wish the local (nearest) track ran more often.

One thing I would change, and this is just for me, would be extending the rear pod so that I don't have to run 2mm shims to get the wheelbase that I want.

Would I recommend this chassis to anyone? I would recommend the conversion kits more so than my "Premium" kit. The Premium is very pricey. And even though it came with "good" upgrades, I had issues with two of those (bulkhead and diffrings). The chassis does perform. It handles excellent and is very tunable. I mainly got it because it had a "slider" rear pod and wasn't a CRC (I already have one). hehe I'll be running this kit for quite some time. I'm very happy how it turned out.

You need to come to Roanoke and race...
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #216
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,443
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
You need to come to Roanoke and race...
I am very soon. My buddies Timmy and Adam were there this past Friday. I would of tagged along if I knew about it. I think Mike M and Mike B were there as well. Timmy and I were gonna come out this coming Friday, but we are going to SC on Saturday instead. I might can talk him into going next Friday though if ya'll are game.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:04 AM   #217
Tech Fanatic
 
Cosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 829
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
I am very soon. My buddies Timmy and Adam were there this past Friday. I would of tagged along if I knew about it. I think Mike M and Mike B were there as well. Timmy and I were gonna come out this coming Friday, but we are going to SC on Saturday instead. I might can talk him into going next Friday though if ya'll are game.
Yeah. I got to run with all those guys Friday. I think Mike M is coming back next Friday.
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #218
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Venice Beach
Posts: 291
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
As for how the car is doing around, we just won the last round of the Texas EOS on asphalt. We found a fantastic set up for asphalt and while other cars were struggling for bite, ours did very well. Locally, the car is doing awesome, but it not being carpet season there is not much movement around the country right now.
Can you post the asphalt setup? Thanks!
LAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #219
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Venice Beach
Posts: 291
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
This is awesome. You need to try the center shock mod and if you can, the XRAY Side links. Car has more corner speed, lifts less and does not diff out with really aggressive set-ups. This makes the car so awesome.

On the shims, they are M3x5mm I will also put those on the site this week. Working on a ton of pics for variations of our conversion, some sedan items and a few other 12th scale bits, including shims.
Replacing the AE side links with Xray is a direct fit and has more steering?
LAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #220
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,443
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I can't speak for the handling of the XRay links, but you need the XRay links, 4 ball nuts (XRay was out of stock so I used Kyosho which is much cheaper), and 4 screws (2 for each link). The links are longer so you use the extra set of forward holes on the chassis. You will also need to loosen your 2 pivot screws on the pod and recenter it. You can't just take off the AE side links and bolt on the XRay ones. You need to recenter the pod because it alters the length ever so slightly and will bind up if you don't. This setup is suppose to calm the car down but I have not really tried it but once.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:42 PM   #221
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Venice Beach
Posts: 291
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I'll give the Xray links a shot. Thanks!
LAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #222
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Venice Beach
Posts: 291
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I ordered my conversion kit last Tuesday and selected 2 day shipping with the comment that if the kit couldn't be here by Friday, please switch to priority mail and refund the almost $20. No emails from RSD other than my order had been placed confirmation email. Today, day three after my order, I receive the your order has been shipped email using the 2 day shipping. Ordered on Tuesday, paid $30 for 2 day shipping and I'll get it this Tuesday the 7th day after my order. REALLY? I have a feeling I've made a bad mistake. At least I found out buying a 12th scale conversion kit and didn't drop serious $ on their TC stuff

There has been no response from RSD on the asphalt setup.

Thanks to JimmyMac for the response to my link question.

Ive bought the 12th scale conversion. Hopefully I won't need any questions answered. But if I do, I'll guess I'll just PM JimmyMac
LAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:24 AM   #223
Tech Elite
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,817
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
I ordered my conversion kit last Tuesday and selected 2 day shipping with the comment that if the kit couldn't be here by Friday, please switch to priority mail and refund the almost $20. No emails from RSD other than my order had been placed confirmation email. Today, day three after my order, I receive the your order has been shipped email using the 2 day shipping. Ordered on Tuesday, paid $30 for 2 day shipping and I'll get it this Tuesday the 7th day after my order. REALLY? I have a feeling I've made a bad mistake. At least I found out buying a 12th scale conversion kit and didn't drop serious $ on their TC stuff

There has been no response from RSD on the asphalt setup.

Thanks to JimmyMac for the response to my link question.

Ive bought the 12th scale conversion. Hopefully I won't need any questions answered. But if I do, I'll guess I'll just PM JimmyMac
Please check your account. Your refund was placed for the shipping difference already and it was shipped Priority as per your instructions. You should get your conversion on Monday or Tuesday. If not for the Holiday, it would have been there today. Sorry for not sending an email, I assumed that when you saw the refund for the shipping difference, plus the shipping confirmation email and clicked on the tracking number, you would have noticed the link would say USPS priority.

As for the asphalt set up, Sorry for the delay, I am working on it. It was not my car, so I don't have it personally. There are a few details I am still trying to find out.

Sorry for your bad experience, but please don't be upset, it was just a simple miscommunication, however yor instructions were followed. If you ever have any questions you can call or text me directly at: nine seven nine 215 five seven one nine. I will respond as soon as I get the message.
__________________
REFLEX RACING/ RSD/ GIZMO RACING USA/ HOBBYWING/ AXON/ QTEQ/ TEAM PRIME
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #224
Tech Master
 
Madulla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,030
Default

Great service as always Christian.

Are the AE balls the same size as the Xrays? I have extra spare links for my X1 I want to try. I am too lazy to measure haha
__________________
Hobbywing North America Team Driver
hobbywingdirect.com
Madulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #225
Tech Elite
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,817
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

No the XRAY balls are bigger. There are a few other brands you can use to save some $ though. It basically is the same diameter ball as an XRAY tc shock, so I think ot is like a 5.9mm ball vs 5.0.

I prefer the XRAY links myself. We used them on carpet and on ashalt with great success. The car has a tendency to stay flatter with them, which on our track that has pretty high bite helps prevent traction rolling.
__________________
REFLEX RACING/ RSD/ GIZMO RACING USA/ HOBBYWING/ AXON/ QTEQ/ TEAM PRIME
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:29 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net