Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
rc track success >

rc track success

rc track success

Old 09-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default rc track success

Having been around the hobbie since around 1988 I have seen and been to alot of tracks all over the country many longtime sucessfull and some short lived, Ihave my opinion as to what I think works. what do you think makes for a great place to race and a successful hobbie shop? LMN Thanks
Old 09-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what makes a great place to race are the members, we all come together at one place because we have one thing in common, beating the doors off the next guy" just joking" we like the hobby not hobbie. building strog relationships with the racers and lhs without the politics makes for a fun environment.

all the best
Old 09-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Do you think a track can make a mistake in trying to cater there racing facility to too many types of racing (indoor carpet) ?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

What do I think makes a great hobby shop?
- Prices comparable to online.
- Ability to special order items quickly.
- Knowledgable staff.

What do I think makes a great track?
- CLEAN
- Unique events that draw large crowds
- Ammenities that make racers enjoy racing there (fans, tables, etc.)

I know the pricing portion is hard to handle as the shop has to pay for the building, lights, and staff but I have my own bills and see no need to pay a vast premium just because the shop is local. Some might say, well if you want a place to race you should support your lhs even if that means paying a premium! I don't buy it, if I want to race or practice charge me an amount that allows you to run the track profitably. If that means $25 to enter a race, fine, just make sure it is worth it in terms of turn out, rewards, environment.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by impdog
Do you think a track can make a mistake in trying to cater there racing facility to too many types of racing (indoor carpet) ?
No, a track should be as diverse as possible. Only the largest tracks can cater to a specific hard core racer audience and be successful.

The reality is ROAR will not be growing the popularity of RC racing so it is up to the lhs to reach as many people as possible. That means advertising and also creating categories that someone with as little as $250 (RTR class?) can enter and be competitive.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

If the track has to be torn down and relayed out each day for the next group how many racers do you change it for and when do you say no more?
Old 09-15-2005, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

good points jamescam you never want to turn your back to anyone. impdog tearing the track down everday is a complete waste of resources. its hard to cater to everyone. schedule the events better is my only suggestion. make them work around your schedule. trust me if you provide a bang for the buck they will find a way.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think what it takes to make successful track is in the largest part the people running it. I have been around this hobby since the mid 80's and have been many tracks come and go. I think that it takes a special kind of person to run a local track. They have to cater to many peoples different needs and make money too.

Heres my idea of a perfect track

- Onsite hobby shop (w/reasonable prices)
- Race club membership (members will receive discounts on replacement parts, tires, and etc. and get unlimited practice time)
- Reasonable entry fees
- Multiple entry discount
- Lap counting system online for practice sessions
- Track provided tire truer
- Treat out of town racers equally as local racers
- Do not require ROAR (unless event is hosted by ROAR)
- Provide a new drivers program (Volunteers may be need)
- Well maintained track and facility
- Race Director that can handle the pressures of the job
- Point Series and Trophy Races
- seating for spectators ( especially Nitro )
- Listen to Drivers input
- Inforce Rules
- Inforce Tech
Old 09-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

living/racing in california for a long time, i have seen a LOT of track/shops come and go. basically i think 3 things tend to kill a track.

1. cost and competition relative to population
2. sponsored/high-end racers, not focusing on new racers
3. management

on the reverse side, all of your long term tracks have at least 2 of the 3 things above in their favor. however, it only takes 1 of the 3 to be against them to close a track down.

when i think of long term (10+ years) permanent tracks in cali, i tend to think of tracks like socal, racers haven and ventura roadrunners.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

How would you like to go race with a 120 racers/entries doors open at 7am sign ups till 1030 first race at 11am. run 3 heats and a main and walk out the doors at 4.30 and have a blast !!!! we use too... I think the hours of operation are critical?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Personally I hate races that take place during the day on Saturday or Sunday. Why? Unfortunately I am married and Saturday & Sunday is when I am forced to run errans with my wife, spend time with the kids, etc. Taking up an entire free day does not go a long way with the Mrs. It is much easier for me to race on Friday or Saturday evening where the race begins at 7PM and I am home before Midnight.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rob Phillips
- Lap counting system online for practice sessions
Great point! If you want your track to be successful you have to get people paying for time more than 1 or 2 days a week. Not only is lap counting important but I would love to see a track have at least 1 marshal to keep me from taking that walk of shame multiple times from the driver's stand (I think this is especially important at offroad tracks). The marshal could be a great source of information and opportunity for add on sales as they provide the practicing driver's with information like "The fastest guys are running X tires, and Y springs which we happen to have on sale in the hobby shop". These types of services add value and encourage people to spend money at your track.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Guys all posted great stuff but the Atmoshpere is so huge for racers and spectators/future racers. We have several clubs and Hobby shops within driving distance and all have there own style some good some so so.
Its just seems that people seem to talk about the owner,race director and workers so the atitude that they have is so important.
Also you have to cater to the impulse buyers like most of us if i see it i want it now not ordered. Its tough but its the way it is.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would hate to turn this thread into a place to advertize racetracks but I just have to show this club that opened a few months ago. By the looks of it, they thought long and hard about what a club should offer and they delivered. Nice tracks (indoor and outdoor, lounge area with fooseball, pinball and XBOXs, well organized tech area, hobby shop, snacks. They also have innovative ideas like their summer camp, seminars and other things.

http://www.fastcats.ca/
Old 09-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

I would love to go to an RC camp! One of the nicer tracks should team up with a couple top drivers and host it, here is my thinking:

Camp runs 9am to 5pm, Monday thru Friday
Camp race on Saturday
Cost up to $75 a day ($375 a week)
Additional $25 to participate in race
Each day is filled with seminars, practice, and drills

Seminar Topics could include battery maintenance, gearing, controller settings, car set up, etc.

Practice would include one hour of open practice and two hours of racing. Pro driver would spend time with each driver individually during open practice.

Drills such as cones, cornering, etc. would cover one hour each day.

They do it in poker, why not RC racing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.