R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The white 6 spoke premount wheels cracked on me after one race day. I do drive crappy though. Lots of board contact. Also acetone dissolves the premount wheels. Ask me how I know.

Lots of guys at my track run the black premounts and don't seem to have trouble. Probably this has more to do with driving than any difference between the white and black premount wheels.

I am using the black Exotek wheels now and they are holding up well. Not sure about acetone compatibility yet.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Our club will most likely be using the premounted version from gravity rc. that way its a spec tire and rim. they would most likely be numbered to keep track of how many sets you have.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
What traction sauce? How many runs?
SXT 3.0, and maybe 5-6 practice runs (we haven't had enough USGT cars show up on the same day to actually race them this season).

Also, you've got a PM (or will have shortly).
Kevin Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Usually they do take some runs to start breaking in. They should be breaking in by now. Buggy grip as a cleaner will also help to make sure they break in well.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:16 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I just recently picked up a set of tire warmers and running them through a few heat cycles helped speed up the process.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:20 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'll pass on mandating the pre-mounts. A class that has scale appearance as a main drawing point just gets diluted when everyone is running the same white spoke wheel. I can do that in TC or WGT. I wouldn't trade one of the coolest features of the class to deter a few people who so badly need to excel in toy car racing that they will cheat.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funked1 View Post
The white 6 spoke premount wheels cracked on me after one race day. I do drive crappy though. Lots of board contact. Also acetone dissolves the premount wheels. Ask me how I know.

Lots of guys at my track run the black premounts and don't seem to have trouble. Probably this has more to do with driving than any difference between the white and black premount wheels.

I am using the black Exotek wheels now and they are holding up well. Not sure about acetone compatibility yet.
I just soaked my black premounts in acetone for a couple of days. Rims look brand new. Cant comment on the white wheels though.
Paco1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #38
Tech Adept

My usgt pre-mounts are lasting about 2 mounts max. The insert just goes away and the car starts to traction roll. After aacetone vapor bath the wheels are off and the insert looks like it has been chewed on by a dog o one edge only.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #39
Tech Addict

I agree. At the ATS this Past weekend. I noticed that alot of the tires look like motorcycle tires, it seems once that happens, that means that the insert is trashed and requires replacement. Thats such a pain.

Nick K
Old 04-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #40
DBM
Tech Addict

Oddly enough, even though my usgt tires have many events on them and look like motorcycle tires with mushy inserts, they still worked ok. I just had to be a bit smoother with inputs and not sauce the outside shoulders on the front tires. They last longer/perform more consistently/cost much less than VTA tires. For the price, you could buy a new set every 2 events if you wanted. Or run them all year like I have.
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #41
Tech Adept

Well maybe they could start putting in a quality insert that will help out the tire for a span more than 2 months. I still don't get why there is a spec tire for any class. Maybe a tc slick and a scale looking rim would be the solution. now you have a tire that will last a season or more and eventually everyone will gravitate to a tire that works for them. That would be way cheaper tire overall if i'm not replacing a set once every 2-3 months.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco1001 View Post
Well maybe they could start putting in a quality insert that will help out the tire for a span more than 2 months. I still don't get why there is a spec tire for any class. Maybe a tc slick and a scale looking rim would be the solution. now you have a tire that will last a season or more and eventually everyone will gravitate to a tire that works for them. That would be way cheaper tire overall if i'm not replacing a set once every 2-3 months.
Spec tires are used to eliminate the necessity of spending a bunch of money trying out a bucket of tires to find what works.

Another desired feature in spec tires is to maintain consistent traction for a long time, which the Ride USGT tires do very well. Most TC slicks are substantially slower after just a few runs, especially on asphalt. There may be plenty of rubber left on the tire, but they won't win races.

I go through one set of tires a day with my 17.5 TC on asphalt, while the USGT tires can last more than five days. That's not an apples:apples comparison, but it illustrates the point.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #43
Tech Addict

I agree with Howard.

Having raced USGT for 3 seasons now, I'm very happy with the choice of tire for the class. They stay competitive right up until the inserts crumble, and it's usually only the fronts that do that. At least in my experience. Then I just rotate some rears to the front and get some more life out of them.

I've started racing 17.5TC and experienced exactly what Howard described. The tires may look good but they are not competitive after a few cycles. Time for fresh ones!
Mark C. USVTA #115 TC4 & Xray T4 '13, USGT #115 Xray T4 '13
USVTA-F1 #115 F103.5 & F1R3 & WTF1 FC-16. Tamiya M05 M06
Bush River RC, The RUG at King, Ho B Max Raceway, Easley RC
scirocco14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm not sure what anyone wants if you get 2 months out of a set of tires and are not satisfied. Competition sedan tires have a much more limited number of fast runs.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #45
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I just switched back to USGT after a long experiment with other classes. I have to say the rides are much better than the old HPI x-patterns we used to use. Broke in quickly, seemed very consistent. If I can get a few months out of them, I'll be thrilled.
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
BadSign is offline   Reply With Quote