Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
All new Dodge Dart 190mm from PROTOform >

All new Dodge Dart 190mm from PROTOform

All new Dodge Dart 190mm from PROTOform

Old 02-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Ready to go test at Tamiya tomorrow. I have been running this a bunch indoors on carpet. Speed6 is the body of choice usually at my track. Here is my assessment so for. The body is great early. Feels more stable with more downforce and VERY precise with turn in steering. However when traction starts getting really good this body has to go on the shelf and the Speed6 is better. The Dart just becomes too Darty Starts to traction roll a bit more then the Speed6 and not as smooth. At the end of the day the Speed6 with real high traction is more consistent thus better times.
All new Dodge Dart 190mm from PROTOform-pic-2.jpg
Old 02-07-2015, 12:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails All new Dodge Dart 190mm from PROTOform-10897937_10204328758393209_6784404922957930762_n.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015, 03:26 AM
Tech Addict

It's just been added to the BRCA list.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by goneracin
Not sure if it was just the one i got or not, but the body is off from side to side. The wheel well shape, cutout lines etc are different from right to left. Im assuming its in how it was pulled and came off of the mold, just wanted to point it out in case its a mold issue?

BTW, its a great looking body
Jop, same problem here. Me and a friend both got a non symmetrical body lef/right! Got them last week.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geberit
Jop, same problem here. Me and a friend both got a non symmetrical body lef/right! Got them last week.
Mine also seemed asymmetric. I use a caliper to measure my post hole position and I got them pretty damn close to perfect side to side/front to back. The wheel wells lined up perfectly on one side however the other side they were about ~5mm too far forward.

Not that it's really a big deal. I Just had to trim and finish the body a little more on one side!
Old 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

anyone try this body on asphalt yet? how would it compare to the LTC-R
Old 02-24-2015, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

I'm a off road guy that's about to get a touring car.
I have always been confused since the Dodge stratus days why you guys all run these boring sedan bodies.
There is nothing appealing about a stratus, mazda 6, or a dodge dart.
How can these bodies be more aerodynamic than any kind of sports car body?
If they really are better then why don't the manufacturers start with a good looking car to design as the go to touring body?
Old 02-24-2015, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Asked this myself and still wonder...
Right now I think that it is a mix of how the hobby evolved in the last twenty years and the fact that just scaling down a design does not work the same in aerodynamics.
If you look back in rc sedan racing you see that there are very few rule changes that would have had an impact on the aerodynamics of the car. So sedan shells just improved over the last twentyfive years. Forgiving and easy to drive shells dominate. Unfortunately these are very round with little edges and large surfaces. This does not look good, but is easy to drive and gives a constant aerodynamic effect/balance in all situations. The direction we are heading right now is a stronger downforce which makes the body not as easy to drive. So there is a need to adjust the setup to the body. For example: If I put the Dart on my chassis which is setup for the Mazda body, it will behave very similar most of the times, but in corner entry for slow tight corners the front suddenly has to much steering.

In Germany I participate at the LRP-HPI-Challenge. They recently added a GT-class. Standard EFRA touring cars but with GT bodies like Corvette, Ford GT, Porsche and a lot more. They look nice (except for the dish wheels), are partly very low bodies but they are slower. One thing is that there was no development in the last 25 years, second is that even sportstcars do not always have good aerodynamics. The Porsche is even in real life producing lift above the rear axle. Something you really don't need for your RC car. Most times the balance is wrong for all those bodies and they do not produce enough downforce overall to compete with our "soap style" sedan bodies.

In conclusion I think the overall look is getting better. The last versions of the Mazda and the Dart really look nice so we are complaining on a high level (as we say in Germany).
Old 02-25-2015, 01:14 AM
Tech Adept

The new Dart gives more steering and the rear is as stable as the speed6. Most stock drivers were using this body at ETS in Mullheim Karlich Germany. I like it. Will try this body on low to medium grip asphalt soon and let you know how it performs.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by buzz777
The new Dart gives more steering and the rear is as stable as the speed6. Most stock drivers were using this body at ETS in Mullheim Karlich Germany. I like it. Will try this body on low to medium grip asphalt soon and let you know how it performs.
On a lower grip level track it isn't as stable as the Speed6, I had friends using it in stock, but it was a handful in modified so went back to the PF Speed6.
It was good in Germany at the ETS though in Mod and I went down as far as 2deg rear toe.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lagcisco
anyone try this body on asphalt yet? how would it compare to the LTC-R
I'll post this guide up again as the principles translate no matter what surface you're running on.

PROTOform 190mm Body Handling Spectrum

The Speed6 is the most stable, but provides the least amount of steering.

The LTC-R gives the best rotation and steering.

The Dart falls right between the 2. Should be a great tuning option on asphalt tracks.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you for the long explanation. Glad someone understands it in detail.
Never thought that they could be so aero sensitive.
I still wish that the go to body was something better looking.
Maybe the new dodge charger?
Similar shape to a dart but overall a better looking car.
I guess if you want to be fast you have to suck it up and run a bland looking car like everyone else does.
How does the mazda gx body compare to the dart and speed 6?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks eric for posting the diagram.
For vta do you guys figure the javelin handles better than the Trans am for different track conditions or are they equal?
Or does none of this even matter in vta since the cars are slower?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hershey66
ays been confused since the Dodge stratus days why you guys all run these boring sedan bodies.
There is nothing appealing about a stratus, mazda 6, or a dodge dart.
How can these bodies be more aerodynamic than any kind of sports car body?
To start with it's a touring car class, the rules specify the bodies must be based on a touring car, and the bodies must conform to the Global Body Specifications, a set of dimensions that ensure the bodies look like a touring car and to prevent them turning into aerodynamic wedges.

There's also that touring car bodies are designed for the track, so they are shaped to generate downforce while reducing drag to get the ultimate performance from the chassis. Sports car bodies are designed for their looks and scale detail, with no concern given to the handling characteristics of the body.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Something along the lines of DTM cars might be slightly more aggressive, and *might* be made to fit in the GBS specs...

I had my own question, though: is there a full size Dodge Dart touring car? Or is this a Protoform creation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.