Old 12-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Thumbs up T's Kyosho GT2 project - 56 mm motor

Current set-up - 07/05/15:
  • Turnigy XK5682-900kv motor + 80x80 mm 24V fan;
  • Ruggedized Castle XL2 ESC + 4x 680 uF caps + 60x60 mm 24V fan;
  • Turnigy 5.0Ah 6S and 7S 60C (HD series) batteries;
  • 6 mm bullets for motor, XT150 connectors (also 6 mm bullets) for batteries;
  • Custom 1/5th scale motor mount and battery tray (slightly milled down myself to accommodate bigger batteries under buggy body) made by Koval;
  • Gearing: 49/36 (pinion/spur) ~ for no-load speed of 162 km/h (6S) and 189 km/h (7S); more options (for 6S Voltage assuming 900 kv; add 8% to speeds below for measured 972 kv at 10 timing):

• Turnigy 1258TG servo;
  • Turnigy 7.5A HV UBEC;
  • 500k Traxxas WT front diff; 40k cSt rear diff; center spool on KYO IG-108 2-Speed Shaft;
  • 800 cSt shock fluid, stock RTR springs;
  • 2 rear toe brace (KYO IF-124B);
  • GRP GMY01-S5 tires (figured car would be heavy enough to use S5 instead of S3).

Background:

Early Christmas present for myself . Should become a bit more specialized in speed than my Truggy.

Stickers, windows, colors... so sold that one .

And cute little electronics... sold too.

Comes with awesome "Race Spec" leaky diff pre-installed, oh the joys of RTR!

Go-fast parts. $10 Bargain bin 5682 motor.

GRPs.

More go-fast parts. Thanks Koval!

DIY CF spacer to accommodate space for (overlooked... oops) motor end-bell screws.

Made it a little bigger to close up some of the unnecessary chassis holes.

"Race" Spec becomes Awesome Spec .

XO-1 Cushdrive spur-to-pinion?

Might work!

Just a mock-up, 50/36 (pinion/spur) gearing. Work in progress.

Gearing chart. Motor is 6S max, so needs some creative gearing.

To be continued!

Last edited by Dr_T; 05-14-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Latest set-up details
Dr_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Tech Master

Nice motor mount Dr.T Glad they made one for you to!

Nice little spur

The next step to madness!Hope you find spots to drive it!

6s with 50T pinion? That "turnigy" lipo will and

Do you still have the receiver? The kr200?

Last edited by targetingxmod; 12-04-2014 at 11:41 AM.
targetingxmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Thanks man. Yeah, very curious (worried might be a better word ) how the Turnigy motor will hold up... If it dies prematurely it will be replaced by something more manly; just hope it won't take the ESC with it on its way out,... if it goes.

Spur is a $3 Revo spur on a center spool adapter (also made by Koval).

Thought of keeping the Tx and Rx, because I know you like yours so much (must be good then no?), but I ended up just throwing everything on eBay to get some of the cash back that was wasted on the RTR-ness.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_T View Post
Thanks man. Yeah, very curious (worried might be a better word ) how the Turnigy motor will hold up... If it dies prematurely it will be replaced by something more manly; just hope it won't take the ESC with it on its way out,... if it goes.

Spur is a $3 Revo spur on a center spool adapter (also made by Koval).

Thought of keeping the Tx and Rx, because I know you like yours so much (must be good then no?), but I ended up just throwing everything on eBay to get some of the cash back that was wasted on the RTR-ness.
The radio e rx is very very good, for me at least. Range is the most impressive thing in G mode. Ok.
If use the radio just wire (solder) better fatter cables from the AA's to the board. It will never more "flip" ligts/power again. It's a thing that must be done for rock solid power. AFTER THAT ALL GOOD things about it.... it's simple, with basic features and that's enough!
Old 12-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I like that Corvette body. I saw the link a while back and I can't believe that motor was only $10. What kind of speed are you shooting for?
0verkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:01 AM   #6
Tech Master

Looking closer...

Is that a "spool" instead of a center diff? If is a locked center diff (spool), how are you gonna brake without breaking ring pinions or motor pinions?

And that Spur mod for pinion where the set screw goes in?

Hope you will get fun on the driving... i don't like GT cars... but sure they move fast then truggy's/buggy's. Just real world roads suck for GT rc's but hey... let them come (photos & videos)

Old 12-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #7
Tech Adept

LOL how do we always end up together???? i sold my kyosho GT2 and went for the ofna x3 gt.....much happier. lol Dr T loves extremes lol....i thnk thats just gonna be silly lol....the x3 comes standard with a spool centre, my spur is delrin and doesnt have a hint of wear after racing...

PS i had some issues on 6s.....use foam because i balooned belted tyres lol. The GRP is a great start though. and definately go ipanmena road warrior on that car.
Reaper1ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
What kind of speed are you shooting for?
Nothing too extreme, I have no Guinness record ambitions, a stable and controllable 90-100 mph would be nice. There's guys doing more even with little 1515 motors I think, but I want this to be able to drive pack after pack without the need for cool-down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post
Is that a "spool" instead of a center diff? If is a locked center diff (spool), how are you gonna brake without breaking ring pinions or motor pinions?
Braking??? Very carefully! . Yes, it's a spool, so no center diff and no slipper, so no "give" in the drivetrain. But it is not uncommon at all for on-roads though, many people do it, even in racing, without screwing things up.

It is one of the reasons I'd like to get that XO-1 "cush drive" (not invented by Traxxas, appears to come from motorcycles, see pic below) spur to work as a pinion, as it has this little rubber thingy inside that acts as a cushion to reduce stress caused by big Torque changes. Also, they're cheap and available everywhere.

Quote:
And that Spur mod for pinion where the set screw goes in?
That's the big challenge now. There needs to be thread tapped in the hub for a set screw... Given the hub seems to be made of steel (it's magnetic) and I have no mechanical skills or tools whatsoever, I'm looking for a place I can have that done. This is a 2015 project, so I should not be that much in a hurry... only that since I have it, I want to have it all finished by... yesterday .

Quote:
I don't like GT cars... but sure they move fast then truggy's/buggy's. Just real world roads suck for GT rc's but hey... let them come (photos & videos)
The GT2 suspension actually is not that bad, arms are just buggy ones (same as the MP7.5). Travel and shocks are a bit smaller dimension obviously than for off-road buggy, but that should not matter that much as I won't be jumping with it - at least not intentionally...

I think the biggest reason you see some of the GTs get airborne on real world roads is aerodynamics... big open GT bodies catching a lot of air and generating a lot of lift at the slightest pitch up or bump. Given the GT2 is like Duplo-blocks with most of the other infernos (e.g., Neo and ST mudguards), I might want to try out having a tight fitting buggy body, instead of those huge GT ones. It'll basically become a truggy wheel-based buggy with on-road suspension then. Should be awesome, in theory.

If necessary, I could even fit buggy towers and shocks, as the bulkheads are all the same too (same as truggy even), but I wonder if that would really improve stability on real world roads. We'll see... .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1ct View Post
LOL how do we always end up together???? i sold my kyosho GT2 and went for the ofna x3 gt.....much happier. lol Dr T loves extremes lol....i thnk thats just gonna be silly lol....the x3 comes standard with a spool centre, my spur is delrin and doesnt have a hint of wear after racing...

PS i had some issues on 6s.....use foam because i balooned belted tyres lol. The GRP is a great start though. and definately go ipanmena road warrior on that car.
Hi, welcome to the thread! Thanks for the feedback on the spool and tires .

Silly is the new cool .
Old 12-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:

Had to leave quickly earlier before I could finish properly. Still wanted to say I really like the Ofnas too, actually a bit better as they're a bit more modern and come in rollers and kits, instead of Kyosho's RTR non-sense. Problem for me was the Ofnas are not so common here in Europe, and Kyosho parts can be found at any local chop-shop for cheap... What problems did you have with your GT2?

Did you balloon GRP tires? I think they should be good for at least 120 mph no? Warrior GT body seems to have been designed with aerodynamics in mind, will keep it in mind if the buggy body route won't work - or when I get bored with 100 mph and want more .
Old 12-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Had to leave quickly earlier before I could finish properly. Still wanted to say I really like the Ofnas too, actually a bit better as they're a bit more modern and come in rollers and kits, instead of Kyosho's RTR non-sense. Problem for me was the Ofnas are not so common here in Europe, and Kyosho parts can be found at any local chop-shop for cheap... What problems did you have with your GT2?

Did you balloon GRP tires? I think they should be good for at least 120 mph no? Warrior GT body seems to have been designed with aerodynamics in mind, will keep it in mind if the buggy body route won't work - or when I get bored with 100 mph and want more .
I like the buggy body with the car front. It looks awesome. anyway I used Sp racing belted tyres. I blew a few other sets apart.

why I ditched?.....well where do I start, I got a nitro gt2 and I was going to use rc monsters 2 speed setup because it would just be faster.....but the more I looked at the car the more I got the feeling of the losi m8t......rtr bull!!!!

I went with the Ofna/ hongnor X3GTe Rtr.....why? because the 80% built kit is exactly the same as the RTR. ...you just get some electrics with it...and i needed it for some other projects. anyway. simple differences....body is quite tough, towers were cnc! shocks were 16 mm big bore ally!, diffs had 4 spiders not 2, it at least had front cvds.....It has a different rear pinion and ring gear for more top end stability.......in every aspect, It was just better. Well that's just for me....ordered myself front and rear braces, my sweeps arrived, serrated nuts were a must and I ordered rear cvds and a blitz gt body. on the wishlist is some cosmetic stuff lol
Old 12-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:

Hello from Florida Dr_T !!! And I just love your project...I have a GT2 Nitro that I will be Converting to E PWR soon...using a XO-1 castle 1717 motor with 200amp 1/5th scale esc from HobbyKing with Turnigy batteries...I will be using Koval's mount also like you and center spool Traxxes XO-1 34T pinion..lol...I have the Ipanema warrior body ready to go on, shooting for 120 mph plus on 8S !! The GT2 longer Truggy chassis will be better and more stable than the shortrer buggy based chassis like on the GT1 and X3-GT...I have full cvd's installed currently on the Nitro so driveline will be smooth !...BTW Kyosho did have a GT2 in kit form a few years back that came with a Sirrio .24 nitro motor FYI ! you can upgrade the diffs also...you can make the GT2 into a beast if you want !!! looking forward to seeing the finished project !!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:34 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yb2fast View Post
Hello from Florida Dr_T !!! And I just love your project...I have a GT2 Nitro that I will be Converting to E PWR soon...using a XO-1 castle 1717 motor with 200amp 1/5th scale esc from HobbyKing with Turnigy batteries...I will be using Koval's mount also like you and center spool Traxxes XO-1 34T pinion..lol...I have the Ipanema warrior body ready to go on, shooting for 120 mph plus on 8S !! The GT2 longer Truggy chassis will be better and more stable than the shortrer buggy based chassis like on the GT1 and X3-GT...I have full cvd's installed currently on the Nitro so driveline will be smooth !...BTW Kyosho did have a GT2 in kit form a few years back that came with a Sirrio .24 nitro motor FYI ! you can upgrade the diffs also...you can make the GT2 into a beast if you want !!! looking forward to seeing the finished project !!
you can make anything into a beast if you spend extra $$$.....what i was saying is that out the box, the X3 is the better car. Plus the fact that ofna took measures to make the rear more stable so even though it is buggy based, it is extremely stable. But im not going to argue.....because with the a extra $200 + you can upgrade the plastic towers, shocks, dogbone - cvd's, diff gears to 4 instead of two. Anyway theres no point to this...

DR T knows what he is doing. Thats a fact.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Early Christmas present for myself . Should become a bit more specialized in speed
To be continued!
Looking like you're getting serious, good luck with it!
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:

I will be using Koval's mount also like you and center spool Traxxes XO-1 34T pinion..lol...I have the Ipanema warrior body ready to go on, shooting for 120 mph plus on 8S !!
Make sure you have the matching front foam bumper too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukY0JXZuW00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWXNdQ4Ptl8
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Welcome guys, and thanks for the kind comments!

Quote:
... towers were cnc! shocks were 16 mm big bore ally!, diffs had 4 spiders not 2, it at least had front cvds.....It has a different rear pinion and ring gear for more top end stability...
I hear you Reaper, unboxing it gave me a bit of a tupperware feeling after having gotten so used to my 8T... I read in the GT2 VE thread (think it was even Jspeed commenting about that IIRC) though that the stock plastic shocks are actually not bad at all and I'm sure in total it should be more than enough car for my non-competition needs; if things break they will be replaced by something better, or better looking .

Quote:
I have a GT2 Nitro that I will be Converting to E PWR soon...using a XO-1 castle 1717 motor with 200amp 1/5th scale esc from HobbyKing with Turnigy batteries...I will be using Koval's mount also like you and center spool Traxxes XO-1 34T pinion..lol...I have the Ipanema warrior body ready to go on, shooting for 120 mph plus on 8S !!
Sounds awesome! If you start a thread about it, don't be shy to post a link here. I'm an on-road noob, so others' experiences are much appreciated and I would love to see where your project takes you.

Tags
awseome, big block, gt2, kyosho, roar legal