Peak or Fantom

Old 10-06-2002, 08:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Peak or Fantom

Hi, ive got XXXS sedan, and im going to buy me a motor for this car but here in Holland there are only tho brands where im intresting in Fanto and Peak, what kind of motor you think is the best.

Thanks, Manuel Willems from the Netherlands
Old 10-06-2002, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've always been a huge fan of Peak Performance, I've never had a bad motor come from them. I know a lot of people here use the Fantom motors too. It will really be personal preference when it comes down to it though, dont think youre going to find one that is really faster than the other (if that were the case the rest of the manufacturers would be out of business).
Old 10-06-2002, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

thats all I run in stock and mod is peak/orion/top.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

if your running stock i like the peak hellfire over the p2k fantom, though i think fantom has another stocker. if mod i dont have any experience with the peak but the ti based fantom is very nice. i have used the 10x2 and it was real good.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have a 9x2 fantom ti based i ahvent used it much but when i do it performs great. but im sure there all great motors.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

I would choose Fantom stocks over Peak stocks but that is just me Don't get me wrong, I've seen some Reedy stocks and some Orion stocks fly but I've never had any luck with them
Old 10-07-2002, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Keep in mind that when you buy motors from fantom, depending on what you buy it is either an epic (Trinity) or yokomo (Reedy) motor...

Josh
Old 10-07-2002, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Like Speedo said, Fantom motors are just Trinity or Reedys but with Fantom's brush and spring combo, and usually an extra $8 slapped on. Peak has some great mod motors, I think the Carerra is as good as any P94 or Ti (I use Ti's). For stock, the Peak Hellfires I have seem fast, but I think the magnets might be too strong because they've got lots of drag brake which really hurts.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For drag brake effect, just add alittle forward roll when you let off throttle. Helps maintain corner speed. Fantoms are good motors and the prices here are the same as normal Trinity equivalants. So no price difference at all. Seems like someone is trying to get alittle extra for the name! I ran a Peak Hellfire, but I prefer my Fantom Limited GM3.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:36 AM
Tech Regular

I have both and run both. Heard a lot of good on Hellfire. Bought another last night. The first I had I bought used. Ran OK, but GM3 was faster. Comm went out before I could learn a lot. Hellfire is low on torque, like the MVP. I dynoed a new team model Hellfire last night and #'s are low. But I have not touched the motor, just dynoed to compair against the sticker in package.

Like Josh said, Fantom just repackages Trinity GM3's (green can), P2K2 (black can red label), P2K's (gold can red label), and Reedy MVP (Black can blue endbell).

FYI, Hellfire/Core/MVP are all made by Sangmi in Japan and all use the stronger C4 magnets. Like JeffC said, you will notice more brake. Depends on your level of driving. I can build great motor and setup the car well, just wish the nut behind the controller could drive that well If you go with the Fantom, try the Trinity 4499 brushes or Reedy 767 in the Epic motors or the 766 in the MVP. Hellfire I am not sure yet as I have only worked on 1 to date.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:31 AM
Tech Rookie

I have run the Hellfire, and tuned it a bit on advice of the Orion motor guru. Its working really good if the comm is about 7,1mm, with Orion 41209 serrated sprint brushes like he mentioned. Also the springs were changed to a bit stiffer ones, as the originals are pretty soft. Really a lot of torque on the track.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:02 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If your going to run stock, I would say go with the Peak Hellfire. Its the best stock motor I've ever ran.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

I personally like Fantom, never had a problem, and some have just been unbelievable in terms of performance.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

ive run a reedy Ti in my XXXS all season, and ended up winning the points championship with it, but ill tell ya, those Fantom mods are fast, in a straight line they would kill me, im just lukcy the guys using them didnt have a car that handled that great, but they were fast, and those are the motors I will be running next year, Fantom Yok based motors, cause I was impressed with the torque and power from my Ti.
Hope this helps
Old 10-08-2002, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hmmm was this about Mod or Stock?? Rim never said!! haha. Well for mod I love my Team Orion Core Touring. I don't know what Peaks "equivalant is to this motor. But it's a great motor. Already hand wound and bloody fast. I also like my Reedy Ti with a handwound arm. So best bet would be to try Fantoms Ti/Yok based motor. Right now I'm hooked up Orion mod motors. But I like my Fantom stocks just fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.