R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Deans vs Bullet connectors

Hi all, I am currently using deans plugs on all my equipment and am considering a switch to bullets. Rationale being slight weight saving, cleaner wiring jobs. I run 17.5/13.5 TC, may be looking to modified in the future.

I see all the top runners using bullets, and this is why I am considering the switch also.

However I have read from Danny@SMC that inboard packs have higher IR ratings and lower voltages?

Considering the expense and effort required to switch all my gear to bullets... This seems like a step backwards to me.

Can someone explain to me why bullets are so popular over deans if they aren't as good performance wise?
Zhangesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Tech Regular

There are less breaks in the wire. The bullet female bullet is part of the pack and the male is the only solder joint between speedo and battery. As far as low IR ratings and voltage I call BS. My packs charge out to 4.2V per cell, every time, and most have an IR of less than 2
Race19s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

cleaner, no balance wire, possibly lighter, possibly lower cg

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Years ago when I did a bunch of testing with a turbo35 all my deans packs had much better numbers than the bullet pack despite the bullet pack being a newer and better pack. I soldered some bullets right down into the pack and hardwired it. Numbers went up significantly. So now that's what I do but I'm crazy like that.

I'm sure more modern bullets are probably better but I'll keep hardwiring. Why bother with connectors when I only change packs every year or so?
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Years ago when I did a bunch of testing with a turbo35 all my deans packs had much better numbers than the bullet pack despite the bullet pack being a newer and better pack. I soldered some bullets right down into the pack and hardwired it. Numbers went up significantly. So now that's what I do but I'm crazy like that.

I'm sure more modern bullets are probably better but I'll keep hardwiring. Why bother with connectors when I only change packs every year or so?
Please post a picture.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhangesh View Post
Hi all, I am currently using deans plugs on all my equipment and am considering a switch to bullets. Rationale being slight weight saving, cleaner wiring jobs. I run 17.5/13.5 TC, may be looking to modified in the future.

I see all the top runners using bullets, and this is why I am considering the switch also.

However I have read from Danny@SMC that inboard packs have higher IR ratings and lower voltages?

Considering the expense and effort required to switch all my gear to bullets... This seems like a step backwards to me.

Can someone explain to me why bullets are so popular over deans if they aren't as good performance wise?
You will notice no performance gain from one to another. Bullet connectors just look cleaner. Lap times will prove everything.
Juan Aveytia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Hmm seems like i should just wait till I start replacing my batteries. Thanks guys
Zhangesh is offline   Reply With Quote