R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #31
Tech Adept
 
funked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sacramento / Livermore
Posts: 230
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I thought about running one of those in USGT to see if I could make the weight advantage work.
__________________
Streetjam SJF01 / M05 Ver.II R / Spec-R S1 VTA / Speedworld Raceway
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #32
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,590
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
TCs aren't necessarily FWD. It just happens that they're usually based on lower-end road cars, which are more often FWD for the last 15-20 years. I think it also happens that with the limited power levels in TC racing, FWD can still be competitive. But RWD BMWs still race in WTCC, for example. Audi and Subaru have run AWD in various TC classes, as well.

-Mike
Hey Mike
It just happens that they're usually based on lower-end road cars WHAT!!
Not sure where get your part of information from..
Back in the days we did have national lever two wheel drive classes..and ROAR was one of them
I ran the two wheel classes for three straight years ..throttle control !!! Are you kidding me... the two wheel drive get the same amount traction grip as the 4 wd...with no problem
btw my two wheel Tc was the YR-F2
btw Mike I ran mod and stock motor classes in my 2wd
__________________
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work

Last edited by OVA; 12-02-2014 at 07:41 PM.
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #33
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,512
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Lol, Franko, I was talking about real touring car racing using lower end road cars, like civics, integras, base BMWs, etc, as opposed to high end road cars like ferraris, porches, and aston martins that you see in GT classes.

Although I'm sure the history of touring car racing goes back even farther than my memories from the late 90s.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #34
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,083
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the Info Mike.. I didn't know that. I thought the full scale class were really all FWD cars. I guess I just remember seeing maybe a couple of particular races that happened to be all FWD cars. I can't imagine a FWD car actually competing with a RWD or 4WD car, heads up.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #35
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,590
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Lol, Franko, I was talking about real touring car racing using lower end road cars, like civics, integras, base BMWs, etc, as opposed to high end road cars like ferraris, porches, and aston martins that you see in GT classes.

Although I'm sure the history of touring car racing goes back even farther than my memories from the late 90s.

-Mike
...... oop ! sorry I misread ....lol
__________________
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #36
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funked1 View Post
I thought about running one of those in USGT to see if I could make the weight advantage work.
I've been thinking about this as well. Something fun to try.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

Yokomo YRX12
Yokomo YZ-2 DT/CA
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:22 PM   #37
Tech Adept
 
Clawhammers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 192
Default

Does the 2WD TC provides easier and quicker setup ?
Clawhammers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #38
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

Some threads whine about too many classes in 1/10 electric racing and too few drivers to really generate competitive classes with a sufficient amount of drivers.

Now somebody wants to invent a new class, 2wd touring car ???

Really can't see the point in a 2wd touring car. Why choose an inferior technical configuration?

Cost? If that is a "make or break" for you, then a used TC and HK lipos and other discount products will keep you going on an acceptable level anyway.

I have driven 2wd and 4wd 1/10 off road buggies, and a 4wd buggy just performes so much better.
__________________
Yokomo BD7 2016 Black Series - MuchMore Fleta Pro / MuchMore ZX - Highest DLP650 - Sanwa M12

Last edited by Salkin; 12-03-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Salkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:50 AM   #39
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Touring cars (1:1 size cars) are FWD, no? (honda accords, dodge stratus, etc) I too am surprised that the TC class doesn't run a FWD car. They do exist... Tamiya makes one, and im sure there are others.
In our national series, we have a class for those cars. We call it the "Funny Car" class.

Only a handful drives them this year, and if you are "serious" about racing and want to race the fastest and best, they are just.......funny cars.

Here is a link to one of the latest races:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE679MOi5yo

And one last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvqSMahD3Jk

Here's two examples from outdoor tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLQrESiz2-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnSRXk7q03c
__________________
Yokomo BD7 2016 Black Series - MuchMore Fleta Pro / MuchMore ZX - Highest DLP650 - Sanwa M12
Salkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:42 AM   #40
Tech Regular
 
bdemegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: N.E. PA
Posts: 280
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
In our national series, we have a class for those cars. We call it the "Funny Car" class.

Only a handful drives them this year, and if you are "serious" about racing and want to race the fastest and best, they are just.......funny cars.

Here is a link to one of the latest races:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE679MOi5yo

And one last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvqSMahD3Jk

Here's two examples from outdoor tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLQrESiz2-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnSRXk7q03c
thanks, all of a sudden I now need one of them.. this hobby is killing me..
bdemegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #41
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,434
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
Some threads whine about too many classes in 1/10 electric racing and too few drivers to really generate competitive classes with a sufficient amount of drivers.

Now somebody wants to invent a new class, 2wd touring car ???

Really can't see the point in a 2wd touring car. Why choose an inferior technical configuration?

Cost? If that is a "make or break" for you, then a used TC and HK lipos and other discount products will keep you going on an acceptable level anyway.

I have driven 2wd and 4wd 1/10 off road buggies, and a 4wd buggy just performes so much better.
I think you've missed the point. In fact you've definitely missed the point. I wasn't making a push to "invent" a new class. I'm asking why it isn't there in the first place? Why do we have such inconsistency in rc? I gave an example of off-road where one philosophy is prevalent in one scale but not another. The same is true with on road. I understand the logic that a 4wd is easier to drive. I also look at that general attitude as a crybaby excuse to justify not having any 2wd. That's not a personal attack on you btw. It's a common opinion reflected everywhere in an entitlement oriented millenial society. Make it easy for me because effort on my part is an unreasonable expectation. My question isn't aimed at changing people but rather goes back to the core of design. Why isn't it there? From a design standpoint it would have made more sense to create the 4wd as the natural evolution of a 2wd design. The opposite happened. Fwd cars evolved from 4wd designs.
__________________
Follow my rc products on Facebook at Raborn Racing Originals and the line of 3D printed parts at
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/rebellionrc
fredswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #42
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,830
Default

Why is TC 4wd? Because Tamiya created the template with (what became known as) the TA01 in 1991. A narrow, scale saloon based on the 4wd buggy platform of the time.

People liked them, people started to race them...

Front wheel drive has gone in and out of fashion since then, lots of manufacturers have made cars but they haven't picked up. It's a shame because they are a lot of fun to drive, but they are also harder to drive than the 4wd cars, which may explain why the gap in the racing market was never big enough for them. Mini is the place to go if you like front wheel drive.

RWD on-road cars on rubber tyres are very hard to drive. Not a surprise that they never gained popularity.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #43
Tech Elite
 
oeoeo327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,343
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
I think you've missed the point. In fact you've definitely missed the point. I wasn't making a push to "invent" a new class. I'm asking why it isn't there in the first place? Why do we have such inconsistency in rc? I gave an example of off-road where one philosophy is prevalent in one scale but not another. The same is true with on road. I understand the logic that a 4wd is easier to drive. I also look at that general attitude as a crybaby excuse to justify not having any 2wd. That's not a personal attack on you btw. It's a common opinion reflected everywhere in an entitlement oriented millenial society. Make it easy for me because effort on my part is an unreasonable expectation. My question isn't aimed at changing people but rather goes back to the core of design. Why isn't it there? From a design standpoint it would have made more sense to create the 4wd as the natural evolution of a 2wd design. The opposite happened. Fwd cars evolved from 4wd designs.
We don't have 2WD TCs for the same reason we stopped running RWD pan cars outdoors; for most drivers on most surfaces, they'd prove to be too difficult to drive. Putting forth effort to get a car around the track isn't the issue; it's having a suitable surface where any reasonable effort would allow you to get the car around the track successfully. While more feasible on carpet, racing 2WD outdoors under less than ideal conditions would prove to be more frustrating than rewarding.

BTW - most R/Cs evolved from RWD designs, both on and off road. With the exception of the 2wd off-road classes, there's a reason you don't see them all that often anymore (better designs with more traction sell more kits)...
__________________
Founding member of the Solid Gold Racing Team - Mediocrity, redefined...
✯Jackson RC✯Horsham RC✯SJCCR✯
oeoeo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #44
Tech Addict
 
SpeedySST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Meeker, CO
Posts: 523
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
http://www.teamyokomo.com/gt/
http://www.teamyokomo.com/gt/event/2...ts_report.html
It seems to have a big following. They are around, just not in the US.

RWD pan car, stick pack/lipo ready w/ rubber tires. Awesome bodies.
Isnt that nearly the same as the F103GT? I love that car especially the Courage body for it.
SpeedySST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #45
Tech Regular
 
firefoxussr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 336
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longuylander View Post
I've taken a TA02 and put a one-way diff in the front in reverse. It's nice to be able to brake without the rear stepping out, and it's great to use throttle control when exiting a turn. But the front wheels braking at the same speed with no diff action make turn in horrid if you're not slowed down in time. It would be a fun class if enough people were running a car like that though.
I really want to do this for my TA03 now! Its just a basher car that I bought for a couple super scale bodies which are both rwd in 1:1.
firefoxussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:54 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net