R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Do you feel that? The winds of change thread! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/849481-do-you-feel-winds-change-thread.html)

skater-deez1 11-28-2014 04:47 PM

Do you feel that? The winds of change thread!

As an avid(pardon the pun) on road guy I seem to be noticing the inevitable shift back to on road racing. Maybe it was all the drift inspired car sales or maybe it's off road becoming muddied by the too many classes syndrome that all but killed on road but it seems at least to me like the climate shift in rc may be happening again......or is it just wishful thinking?:nod::confused::nod:

valk 11-28-2014 05:03 PM

I havent really been around that long but it seems to me like there are too many classes in onroad as well. in wcics we have like 8 and the numbers get diluted quite a lot between them. its nice that everyone feels there is a class that represents their interest and driving ability, but i sometimes wish we could just have like... 230 touring cars.. or 12th scales, over maybe 60 12th scales and far fewer of everything else.

seems like there is a lot more spec in onroad as well. which i would think would hurt things but its thriving. though i wish there was more modifed as none of that crap matters lol.

skater-deez1 11-28-2014 05:06 PM

Very true,I personally don't see much need for any more than 4 classes. 17.5 tc,mod tc,vta, and 12th scale. I know the arguments but honestly these are the 4 that we need to sustain and grow from where we are now.:nod:

Loco4G63T 11-28-2014 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by skater-deez1 (Post 13686832)
As an avid(pardon the pun) on road guy I seem to be noticing the inevitable shift back to on road racing. Maybe it was all the drift inspired car sales or maybe it's off road becoming muddied by the too many classes syndrome that all but killed on road but it seems at least to me like the climate shift in rc may be happening again......or is it just wishful thinking?:nod::confused::nod:

It does seam like many states are shifting back to on-road programs. Probably the fact that people are getting tired of attempting to run clean laps in off-road and noticing that there are more people interested in how far they can launch their cars lol :D

Racermac73 11-28-2014 05:08 PM

It is starting to change back but it goes in cycles... Always has and always will. And there are WAY to many classes. Something has to be done to consolidate the mess that it has become. Does the hobby really need 3 different classes of "stock"? VTA, USGT,17.5 ect ect

skater-deez1 11-28-2014 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Racermac73 (Post 13686855)
It is starting to change back but it goes in cycles... Always has and always will. And there are WAY to many classes. Something has to be done to consolidate the mess that it has become. Does the hobby really need 3 different classes of "stock"? VTA, USGT,17.5 ect ect

Maybe the answer lies somewhere within,if all three of the classes mentioned above ran the same motor........hmmmmm:nod:

SpeedySST 11-28-2014 05:15 PM

As far as USGT and VTA are concerned someone in another thread mentioned a type of spec class that allows both VTA and realistic GT bodies with 21.5 motors. Id love that.

skater-deez1 11-28-2014 05:16 PM

19.5 anyone??LMAO

skater-deez1 11-28-2014 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedySST (Post 13686867)
As far as USGT and VTA are concerned someone in another thread mentioned a type of spec class that allows both VTA and realistic GT bodies with 21.5 motors. Id love that.

That would make sense!:nod:

Loco4G63T 11-28-2014 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Racermac73 (Post 13686855)

I understand you guys but you have to admit these classes bring lots of people into on-road due to some of the SCALE appeal. I myself just love to race but do enjoy the feeling of different types of chassis' as well as the crowds that come with those classes. You have to admit VTA is pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to F1 :sneaky:

nf_ekt 11-28-2014 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by skater-deez1 (Post 13686849)
Very true,I personally don't see much need for any more than 4 classes. 17.5 tc,mod tc,vta, and 12th scale. I know the arguments but honestly these are the 4 that we need to sustain and grow from where we are now.:nod:

Agreed with those 4 classes. WGT seems to take the place of 12th is some places but those are the four (I much prefer the nimble 12th to the bigger WGT cars btw). I guess it's all regional, but for me locally on-road does seem to be on the rise... while 2 (indoor) off-road tracks have closed within a years time, the same on-road tracks have sustained, with one recently coming out of a 6-7 year retirement.

I wonder if the move to ultra hard-packed, sugar-based "off-road" tracks is having an effect. I've tried it, didn't like it all. I'm sure tire manufacturers love surfaces that burn tires up, but as a participant I don't enjoy it. Wet, loamy clay is where it's at. Back to on road...bring on the revival.

skater-deez1 11-28-2014 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by nf_ekt (Post 13686878)
Agreed with those 4 classes. WGT seems to take the place of 12th is some places but those are the four (I much prefer the nimble 12th to the bigger WGT cars btw). I guess it's all regional, but for me locally on-road does seem to be on the rise... while 2 (indoor) off-road tracks have closed within a years time, the same on-road tracks have sustained, with one recently coming out of a 6-7 year retirement.

I wonder if the move to ultra hard-packed, sugar-based "off-road" tracks is having an effect. I've tried it, didn't like it all. I'm sure tire manufacturers love surfaces that burn tires up, but as a participant I don't enjoy it. Wet, loamy clay is where it's at. Back to on road...bring on the revival.

I think you're hitting the nail on the head,regionally wgt and 12th are somewhat interchangeable. The aforementioned usgt/vta combined class could work. Honestly if we stop diluting into small classes and make it so some can run together(not unlike real life!) then classes would be bigger and on road could once again thrive.:D

SpeedySST 11-28-2014 05:39 PM

Like others have mentioned, I started this hobby for the realism and Im a big GT fan so being able to race my M3 GT with the lights, etc is a big draw for me. Ive been racing since the days of NiCd batteries and the ever present threat of dumping in the race because of overgearing but the boosted phase really put me off. When the update to a speed control is 7 pages long I just don't care anymore. So, my vote is 17.5 blinky, Mod, Spec Stock (VTA and USGT bodies) WGT, F1 and maybe 1/12 and/or 1/10 pan car. Maybe with the mod class the participants can agree on a motor for the race day and call it good.

nf_ekt 11-28-2014 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by skater-deez1 (Post 13686886)
I think you're hitting the nail on the head,regionally wgt and 12th are somewhat interchangeable. The aforementioned usgt/vta combined class could work. Honestly if we stop diluting into small classes and make it so some can run together(not unlike real life!) then classes would be bigger and on road could once again thrive.:D

With modern scoring systems, I'd actually like to see what happened if you ran VTA & USGT together... timed individually per class, of course, but on the track at the same time like you see in IMSA events.

But either way, as it has been stated somewhere before, we need "more mains, less classes". In theory we should be excited when we see a new class form, but the reality is, all it does is weaken through dilution.

funked1 11-28-2014 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedySST (Post 13686867)

That's USGT. All VTA bodies are legal for USGT.