Wiki Posts
Search

Share your thoughts on different GT bodies

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Share your thoughts on different GT bodies

I'm a fan of realistic bodies on touring cars so I thought it's a good idea to post some thoughts on how some bodies handle compare to others. GT10 is making a come back in my area (So Cal region) so I thought starting a thread like this will help people choose bodies. Please chime in on ones you've tried. Thanks!

Tamiya NSX 2004/2005:
One of the most popular and righteously so. Very balanced handling with great steering. Modest amount of roll which helps to not get car too stuck on good to high traction surface. Even better if you can get the light weight. You can't really go wrong with this one.

Tamiya NSX 2007:
Also one of my favorites when traction gets high and more stability is required. One of the popular GT2 body as well here in So Cal. Extremely stable body with decent steering (a little less than 2005). The car will corner very flat with this body, as it is one of the lowest profile bodies I've tried. Use the smaller wing with this one on most surfaces or the car will have too much rear grip and won't turn. Use this if you feel nsx 2005 is getting slightly too aggressive for you. This body also requires IFS setup. The profile of the body makes it hard to flip back if you roll your car.

Tamiya corolla axio gt:
My go to body for 21.5 GT racing, very proven. This body will compensate for lack of on power steering for a 21.5 due to lack of torque. It is one of the most aggressive bodies I’ve tried so far. Make sure to use IFS or low shock tower setup on this body. The front end tends to dig into the turn and will move car's axis of rotation forward. However the rear end is still predictable despite being aggressive. This might be because the wing-mounting surface is further back than most other bodies and the rear bumper line is very high like the NSX to prevent it from catching air. The car will roll similar to NSX 2005 even though it is an IFS body. It will feel stuck if traction gets too high and. It also won't flip back very easy if you roll your car in corner.

Tamiya Ebbro 350r /shaken 408r:
Very similar feel to NSX 2007 but have slightly more steering and feels more free. One of the preferred bodies for GT1 class in TCS series. Even though it is an IFS body, you can mount it on standard shock tower cars and still be okay (only slightly high, shouldn’t affect handling much). However, if you use low shock tower, this body is perfect. I prefer not glue on the rear ducktail piece to lower weight and have more steering. Smaller Tamiya wing is preferred on this one for most condition as well. Works very well in medium to high traction surfaces.

Tamiya R8:
Lot of guys like this one as well as it find of feels like a NSX2005 but more aggressive and rolls slightly more. This body will make the car feel lively. Down side is rear end is not very consistent if traction is not very high. The rear bumper is low and tends to tuck if hit from behind. The rear also catches air, which I think is why the rear is not very consistent. If you the rule allow you to trim out the splitter area, you should definitely do it. It will make the body more stable. On a plus side, this body will flip back very easily if you roll your car over.

Tamiya 458 Italia:
This one feels very neutral but doesn’t do well in any specific area. The front lacks splitter, which cause it to not have great steering even though the silhouette says it should have been aggressive. It is not to say this car lacks steering but it seems slower to turn in but corner holding is pretty good. The rear end is very predicable and the car does feel pretty free as well. This body will make for an easy handling car.

Tamiya Laferrari:
Somewhat similar in feel to 458 but a lot more stuck. The front is very long which means it takes more grip to turn that mass around. The rear end is very stable but do watch out for wing mounting because the surface is too slanted. Make sure to mount the o-ring on top body surface of the front wing stud to level it out to normal or you have a very aggressive angle of attack on the wing. This body will make an even easier handling car than 458. I only use the small Tamiya lexan wing on it for better steering.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I wish this would make a comeback where I race.

Alase Protoform it is....

From my experience...

Tamiya Audi TT ( with the high spoiler ):
Very nice body. Handles well and has terrific corning speed. Does well on and off power. Looks fantastic while doing so. Closest to a Real race body that I have used.

Tamiya GTR ( SUMO racing ):
Decent body that is pretty neutral. Can't really throw the car into turns because it will want to slide out from under you. Other than that, if you are smooth it is smooth.

Tamiya R-34 GTR:
Handles really nice doing high speed runs. Not very good on the Racetrack. Seems to push and not give a lot of steering.

Tamiya Ford Mustang Cobra R:
Looks good. That's about it. Hard to get any kind of handle on the car. This was on a med warm carpet track. Push, then over steering, and not very stable on the high speed straight.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
I wish this would make a comeback where I race.

Alase Protoform it is....

From my experience...

Tamiya Audi TT ( with the high spoiler ):
Very nice body. Handles well and has terrific corning speed. Does well on and off power. Looks fantastic while doing so. Closest to a Real race body that I have used.

Tamiya GTR ( SUMO racing ):
Decent body that is pretty neutral. Can't really throw the car into turns because it will want to slide out from under you. Other than that, if you are smooth it is smooth.

Tamiya R-34 GTR:
Handles really nice doing high speed runs. Not very good on the Racetrack. Seems to push and not give a lot of steering.

Tamiya Ford Mustang Cobra R:
Looks good. That's about it. Hard to get any kind of handle on the car. This was on a med warm carpet track. Push, then over steering, and not very stable on the high speed straight.
Which r-34 gtr is it? the Nismo gt500 car or the z tune? People here have luck with the r34 the gt500 one. seems very neutral
Old 11-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Wow you guy really like your Tamiya bodies. But those NSX's are going to be near impossible to find and when you do its going to cost you. As good as they look and may handle (dont know bc ive never ran one) they are too spendy and rare for most people to run.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

FYI, Tamiya is releasing a new NSX body this December 2014!

# 51563  1/10 Scale R/C Raybrig NSX Concept-GT Body Parts Set

Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Wow you guy really like your Tamiya bodies. But those NSX's are going to be near impossible to find and when you do its going to cost you. As good as they look and may handle (dont know bc ive never ran one) they are too spendy and rare for most people to run.
R2 hobbies have a copy of the nsx2005 at reasonable price. I've seen guys running it. not as sharp on details but same handling and pretty good quality lexan. Not supporting guys buying knock offs but it is out there. I still have 2 unpainted genuine tamiya ones so won't go to knock of route anytime soon