R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It's far from a shift drive version of a 418 in reality. It shares arms and uprights - but so do the new TA06 cars and the TB04.

The Evo6 is more of an upgraded TB04 if anything.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:39 AM   #62
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostgod View Post
I think a lot of people don't get the point of this thread. It's for people like me looking at making a choice between cars in 2015. Not that a new car will be significantly better then previous or that a new car will make you a driver. But hey it's time for a new car, of the 2015 choices what's best.

I went with the xray 2015. I hate orange, but I like quality and parts availability.
I'll add something to this thread on my opinions in comparison to my old car one I get it built.

Any guys with experience or opinions of the new crop of cars post up!

Btw, there is a guy at my club who got the new bd7 and he is ripping it up. Although he's also a gifted 10+ year rcer.
Hi I have raced Xray T series for a number of years, However i have just purchased my second BD7 2015 they are awesome.

They handle better than anything i have raced up to now.

However the Xray 2015 will not let you down.
RandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #63
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
#4 - Logically speaking, choose the brand supported most @ your local track - it'll most likely one of the top brands mentioned in this thread, and sharing setup ideas will make all of the drivers supporting any brand faster...

BTW - add another vote for the A700L/Evo...
I agree look around your track, you can share set up ideas and if you get in trouble someone can sometimes help you to of a jam.

The latest crop of tourers are mostly all good.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:58 AM   #64
Tech Fanatic

My son just switched from a Tamiya TRF418 to an Xray T4'15 instead of the new 419, and even though he doesn't drive faster lap times, he is able to drive much more consistent with the Xray.

Don't know how the new 419 would be.

That, off course, could just be a matter of setup or that the T4 just suits him better.

Quality wise, I do like the Xray a little better, the plastic components have a much nicer finish, compared to the "flimsy" looking plastics on the Tamiya.

The Xray kit is cheaper than the Tamiya kit, but you need to upgrade the base Xray kit to get to he same level as the Tamyia kit (ECS, carbon fiber bumper stay, alu steering, alu shock spring retainer, wheel nuts etc.), so the price is about the same, if you want the full "pro" kit.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #65
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
My son just switched from a Tamiya TRF418 to an Xray T4'15 instead of the new 419, and even though he doesn't drive faster lap times, he is able to drive much more consistent with the Xray.

Don't know how the new 419 would be.

That, off course, could just be a matter of setup or that the T4 just suits him better.

Quality wise, I do like the Xray a little better, the plastic components have a much nicer finish, compared to the "flimsy" looking plastics on the Tamiya.

The Xray kit is cheaper than the Tamiya kit, but you need to upgrade the base Xray kit to get to he same level as the Tamyia kit (ECS, carbon fiber bumper stay, alu steering, alu shock spring retainer, wheel nuts etc.), so the price is about the same, if you want the full "pro" kit.
Wow I'm surprised you Xray is slower than the 418.
I don't think your missing anything with the 419
Old 02-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #66
Tech Rookie

Im a little bummed that no one has bothered to mention another big contender the HPI/HB TCXX. Yeah its purple...... but thats what bodies are for :P

Reasons are relatively straight fwd. It is one of the most customizable and adjustable body ive ever seen straight out of the box WITH THE PARTS THAT COME WITH IT. from options with toe, caster, camber, shock angle etc etc it by far exceeds 99% of the market with what you get straight out of the box. Dont believe me? just look at pics of it from all angles next to other cars at all angles and you can SEE the difference. Add on the upgrade kit, a nice motor and controller from tekin and some tweaking and for a little more than what it would cost you for an XRAY 15 you pretty much have a maxed out car. I also found that they have some of the best quality parts for decent prices and one of the largest selection that is VERY user friendly to sift through. Some companies it is a huge pain in the ass to even look through their list, let alone find what you need and easily acquire it. haven't had to deal with their service yet so no word there. I dont like to buy my parts brick and mortar, as they inflate price at the cost of taking out your need to find the part yourself. HPI makes this easy, not to mention every online RC company that matters is smart enough to carry 99.9% of HPI's stock.

sure each year will bring improvements, each year will bring innovations that will make previous years obsolete. like Xrays little dynamic toe BS on the rear suspension this year, you can bet that will be on every car in 16 if it proves successful as a standard option.

you can buy a TCXX on "backorder" for 499. the Xray is 549, thats 50 bucks toward my motor, or upgrade kit right there. cant say one is more durable than the other as I have never personally owned an XRAY. but seeing as they are all pretty much made of the exact same 7075 aluminum, carbon fiber, graphite, and plastic it really all comes down to design not materials. Again the TCXX is quite the bruiser, i can attest to that...... as it was also my very first car in RC EVER. that says a lot. As your first few months are strictly learning how to keep the car in one piece.
chii370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #67
Tech Addict

Best car for 2015 - Associated TC3/4
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #68
Tech Rookie

Again I guess it would be down to personal preference..... but aside from the associated being a VERY proven platform I would say from personal experience that it is a little over hyped for what it is. The person who originally got me into RC runs a T4 and I can say its every bit as fast as my TCXX but not as sturdy. And he has had a few run ins with associated customer service and from what i HEARD it was all negative. Your experience may differ.

I would say XRAY T4 15>TCXX>TC4 as far as "best and affordable/easy to acquire" are concerned. If your not located in the USA some of the more elite and ungodly expensive options become readily available to you. But if your looking for reliable, fast, and wont cost thousands just for the KIT stick with these three. none will steer you wrong. Unless you plan on being THE UNIVERSE champion of RC for all of mankind then these cars kitted out will hold their own against anything you will ever see.

Or, you could learn to fabricate. buy yourself some billet 7075 aluminum, some titanium, and carbon fiber sheet and start making your own parts, with your own designs. bar a few loopholes that RC cars can get away with due to light weight, they essentially work exactly like a real car. who knows, you might come up with some new revolutionary suspension system that gets you picked up by a real car manufacture.

Last edited by chii370; 03-04-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #69
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Has anyone tried out the new VBC car. This is what I was thinking. I've had them all except the YOKOMO. Had a bad experience years ago with them and just cant bring myself to give them my money agian
The Stig US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #70
Tech Rookie

just ordered a T4 2015. arrives this week. Will keep posted if the ARS system thats been fussed about is worth while. Porche has used something similar to this for several years in the 911 to keep the dumb ass idea of having an engine in the back of the car from killing you..... although it doesnt work quite like the RC car lol. Lots of things you can cheat engineer when you dont have to deal with 1.3+ tons, X G force in corners.

oh BTW not sure if this says HPI/HB has gone tits up or not....... but their brand new, less than a year old TCXX I own has officially been discontinued. Seeing as it was actually their most successful touring car ever and was constantly on backorder I would say there are some internal company politics at play and I would steer WELL clear of this company until they get their head back out their ass.

Last edited by chii370; 03-05-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #71
Tech Initiate

What about the best TC for 2015 for those on a budget?
uvxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #72
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Define budget. $300? $400?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #73
Tech Initiate

Yeah, the sort of "second" price bracket I suppose. Durango/HoBao/BD7RS etc?
uvxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post

Actually, for most people, the best touring car for 2015 is the one they didn't get.
lol, pretty much. I'm hoping that the new Kyosho 1/10 will be sold in America etc. unlike the TF6.

Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #75
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvxt View Post
What about the best TC for 2015 for those on a budget?
Touring cars and budget are mutually exclusive terms.... At my local track, A LOT of people have been running Vaterras.
Durango DEST210R, XRAY XB4 2014, Vaterra Slick Rock, Durango DEX210, SpeedMerchant REV4, HB TCX, Traxxas EMaxx, HPI RS4 Pro, Tamiya TA02, Yokomo YZ10, Associated RC10 Team Car, Bolink Eliminator 10, Kyosho Optima, Tamiya HotShot, Tamiya Grasshopper
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote