Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wind tunnel R&D

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Very interesting video, considering I am studying to hopefully one day work on aerodynamics for an F1 team. Thanks for posting DS Motorsport.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Chaparral 2J - The Fan Car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZkUr5cG6wE

http://antholonet.com/EngineersCars/...aparral2J.html
Old 11-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

This video is a bit unrelated, however it's very interesting and does include some "aero" information. (no more off-topic than those - CanAm Chaparral videos)
F1 fans will dig it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBB2F6IutQ

Dale - Protoform
Old 11-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mschumi101
Very interesting video, considering I am studying to hopefully one day work on aerodynamics for an F1 team. Thanks for posting DS Motorsport.
No problem, came across it earlier this week. Sauber makes some really nice video's, not just useless marketing material.

If you want to learn more about race car aero I would suggest purchasing the following book:

Race car aerodynamics: Designing for speed by Joseph Katz.

This is the book to get you started, it has all the basics.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleepp
This video is a bit unrelated, however it's very interesting and does include some "aero" information. (no more off-topic than those - CanAm Chaparral videos)
F1 fans will dig it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBB2F6IutQ

Dale - Protoform
Sadly they left out two of the most interesting features, there is a clutch which allows the impeller and compressor to spool up independently.
Also since the MGU is on the same shaft this can also be used to spool up the compressor electrically.

It's quite fascinating that you have the best engineers in the world, all trying to create the best package as possible, but still one team is able to come up with a design which is miles ahead compared to the competition.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport

It's quite fascinating that you have the best engineers in the world, all trying to create the best package as possible, but still one team is able to come up with a design which is miles ahead compared to the competition.
It's less fascinating when you consider that to do the engine they used twice as many people and probably 3 times the budget of their competitors.

It is estimated that as many as 1200 people have had involvement with the design, development and operation of the Mercedes team and it's cars this season at a cost of something approaching 400 million Euros ($600m).
Old 11-20-2014, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mark Stiles
It's less fascinating when you consider that to do the engine they used twice as many people and probably 3 times the budget of their competitors.

It is estimated that as many as 1200 people have had involvement with the design, development and operation of the Mercedes team and it's cars this season at a cost of something approaching 400 million Euros ($600m).
Go Mercedes!

While spending big doesn't guarantee success (Honda/Toyota), and smaller teams do occasionally win (Benetton), the winning team usually has a substantial budget and a works engine. Mclaren-Honda, Williams-Renault, Ferrari and RedBull didn't exactly win their championships on a shoe-string budget
Old 11-20-2014, 06:11 AM
Tech Addict

I did some CFD attempts for a guy named Stranahan a few years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUN8...J7NT_bfz5pUfpA
Old 11-21-2014, 05:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by daleburr
Go Mercedes!

While spending big doesn't guarantee success (Honda/Toyota), and smaller teams do occasionally win (Benetton), the winning team usually has a substantial budget and a works engine. Mclaren-Honda, Williams-Renault, Ferrari and RedBull didn't exactly win their championships on a shoe-string budget
My colleagues and I are looking to become very grateful of the effort made by the folks over at Merc HPP next summer!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mark Stiles
My colleagues and I are looking to become very grateful of the effort made by the folks over at Merc HPP next summer!
Unfortunately you're getting Mclarens engines which are done in the shed out back. Those are made out of rusty old washing machines and some 1400SCE cells for the ERS