Wiki Posts
Search

Difference between hobbyking and big brand ESC and motors performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Default Difference between hobbyking and big brand ESC and motors performance

Hi all, didn't find any suitable thread, sorry, if such existed;

So I have question, have been racing 1/8 for a while, and used only mamba and tekin combos, of course had also some problems, mostly burned down mamba motors.

But when compare them with Hobbyking that are 3 times cheaper, see no difference in performance;

This year I started 1/10 2WD and onroad stock touring class;
As this class is smaller and running indoors on high traction carpet I went cheap on esc and motor combo for my losi and bought HK motor and ESC;

My question - will there be any difference in performance if switch to REDS, Castle, Tekin or orion electronics?
I'm aware, that there definitely will be difference in reliability, but here my main question is - will car run faster, will gain power more smoothly etc...

Also if I knew that there will be performance and more readability added to car would switch from HK to any other brand ESC in 1/10 Parama class I'm also attending, thats why put this topic in onroad thread;
Motors used - 17.5T parma class and 10.5T buggy class, HK motors and esc
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by janisdaubergs; 11-11-2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-2014, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by janisdaubergs
Hi all, didn't find any suitable thread, sorry, if such existed;

So I have question, have been racing 1/8 for a while, and used only mamba and tekin combos, of course had also some problems, mostly burned down mamba motors.

But when compare them with Hobbyking that are 3 times cheaper, see no difference in performance;

This year I started 1/10 2WD and onroad stock touring class;
As this class is smaller and running indoors on high traction carpet I went cheap on esc and motor combo for my losi and bought HK motor and ESC;

My question - will there be any difference in performance if switch to REDS, Castle, Tekin or orion electronics?
I'm aware, that there definitely will be difference in reliability, but here my main question is - will car run faster, will gain power more smoothly etc...

Also if I knew that there will be performance and more readability added to car would switch from HK to any other brand ESC in 1/10 Parama class I'm also attending, thats why put this topic in onroad thread;
Motors used - 17.5T parma class and 10.5T buggy class, HK motors and esc
Thanks in advance.
I have no problem with their motors or ESCs and am competitive. I have them in F1, Pro 10 and GT12 cars.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

The difference is mainly price and quality control.

If your a really good driver then a better motor like a d4 would probably shave some time off your laps.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03
....a better motor like a d4 would probably shave some time off your laps.
Driving a good line, making less mistakes (blowing corners, etc.), and doing it all consistantly shaves times off laps, not having a better motor (like your D4 example). I have seen guys in both electric and nitro with lesser equipment beat racers with top notch/top dollar equipment because of being a more consistant driver on the track. Fast isn't everything if you make tons of mistakes, your driving line around the track and your driving skills suck.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Driving a good line, making less mistakes (blowing corners, etc.), and doing it all consistantly shaves times off laps, not having a better motor (like your D4 example). I have seen guys in both electric and nitro with lesser equipment beat racers with top notch/top dollar equipment because of being a more consistant driver on the track. Fast isn't everything if you make tons of mistakes, your driving line around the track and your driving skills suck.
+1 It will always come down to the "Nut behind the Wheel"
Old 11-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JLock

You conveniently left out the part where I said "if your a really good driver"...........
Old 11-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

That's the thing, though. If you're only just starting out and can't drive a very good line every single lap, then you'll see even less of an upgrade going to more expensive electronics.

There is a difference between a R1Wurks 17.5 and a Turnigy Trackstar 17.5, but only if you have the skill to take advantage of it. If your laptimes look something like 12.9-13.3-14.0-12.8-13.2 etc (basically all over the place) it really doesn't matter which motor you have. However, when you start doing 12.5-12.5-12.6-12.5, then maybe you will!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I will answer your question rather than talk about driver ability because are not enough of those.

I have only run Tekin, LRP and Orion in my on and off road 1/10 scale stuff. I decided to try the HW in my 17.5 sportsman TC. I would never go back and spend more money. It has been great and so far zero issues or problems. I think the HW stuff is great. Other are great as well but for me this works great.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03
You conveniently left out the part where I said "if your a really good driver"...........
A good driver will do well regardless of what they have (most of the time). Before my carpet track closed down, I have seen Ralph Burch stop by, take a kid's car (helping him out) with "not so great" electronics, and lay down lap times that beat the "fastest" guys with top notch ESCs, motors, etc. So, a good driver, with good knowledge of what he has, will know how to set it up, gear it, program it, and drive it to finish at or near the top.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

The Trackstar motors are ROAR approved, so they are built to a standard. That being said, I have a 10.5, 2x 21.5, 3x 13.5 and they run just as good as my Thunderpower motors. They do have a tendency to have more torque and do not rev as high, but when properly geared for top end don't run hot and can match speed with just about any brand motor in the 110' straight and keep up in the infield. Why aren't they more popular? I have no idea. I guess you have to spend more than twice as much on a name brand to have bragging rights. I bought them to try and don't regret my decision. If these burn up, I'll replace them with the same. For the new guy just starting out, they are a great value.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

You can read this thread, it touches the same theme, discount brand vs. high end brand.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...n-another.html
Old 11-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Default my .02

I'd initially picked-up a Hobby King ESC(120a)......my train of thought is that it's a HobbyWing (120a) esc with a different case. For what it's worth, the HK case is slightly larger -aka a bigger foot print on the chassis; this may be important in 12th scale pan car because space is restricted in terms of optimal set-up. My previous esc was during the brushed era (Quantum Comp 2)- the relevance[ for me ] once again was my set-up for 12th scale pan car.
In any case , as generally a club racer, when the time comes for me to step up to a better esc ,I would not hesitate picking up a second HK or HW -price wise it is feasible/ practical- but eventually i'd like a Tekin(finances permiting.)

Last edited by oreo; 11-12-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: .... I concur with Salkin.(there's more info in that thread)
Old 11-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
The Trackstar motors are ROAR approved, so they are built to a standard. That being said, I have a 10.5, 2x 21.5, 3x 13.5 and they run just as good as my Thunderpower motors. They do have a tendency to have more torque and do not rev as high, but when properly geared for top end don't run hot and can match speed with just about any brand motor in the 110' straight and keep up in the infield. Why aren't they more popular? I have no idea. I guess you have to spend more than twice as much on a name brand to have bragging rights. I bought them to try and don't regret my decision. If these burn up, I'll replace them with the same. For the new guy just starting out, they are a great value.
I ran a 17.5 and 21.5 HK in onroad this last season, am running the 17.5 for stock off road this winter. My cars are silly fast, run very cool and I could not be pleased more. I started investigating how to get the cheapest, competitive cars on the track for a local onroad club we are trying to keep alive. My $325 dollar S2, (that is $325 total...chassis, body, tires, servo, motor, hobbywing justock ESC) routinely put the smack down in Scale Spec and Stock TC against Awesomatix, Tamiya and Associated TC's. Yeah, it was nice to be competitive for way cheap and kind of a huge nenernener.

The reason those motors are not as popular come down to what are the tracks trying to sell. The hobbyking stuff does not benefit tracks as they are direct sell to consumers. I do know if we don't support hobby shops they close, so make sure you drop those awesome savings on $35 motors toward tires, track fees and Lunsford titanium screws (I just picked up a set for my B5M, dope!)
Old 11-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I will concur with imajerky. i ran hk 21.5 all last summer. even won the series championship with the hk 21.5i ran all summer. not as much rpm's but lots of torque. i even ran against him in one of the series races and i had a awesomatix at the time. all his inexpensive stuff gave me a good run for the money and he beat me. comes down to driver experience and setup for sure. granted it was his home track and that helped alot. but, you cant deny that these motors are good. i am now running a 17.5 for stock this winter and i am very pleased witht eh performance. never breaks the 115 degree mark after 6 min. lots of torque and speed and i can keep up with the crowd. good buy IMO. no experience with esc's though.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Default HW and HK

Don't get Hobbywing confused with HobbyKing.

Hobbywing used to make all of the old Speedpassion stuff. They now make their own high end products which are in cars competing for world championships. The 3.1 1S and 2S versions are pretty awesome and the price reflects it. They have a distributor Hobbywing North America

Hobbyking is the king of knockoffs and offers huges savings to the average hobbyist. Everything they sell looks like someone else's stuff and works similarly. They do have 2 US warehouses and their customer service is marginally slower.

And yes, I still spend a ton at the LHS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.