R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
HB Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 1,067
Default 17.5 Blinky, too fast for beginners?

What can we do as a hobby to make it less intimidating to race on-road? A decent 17.5 motor running in blinky mode can be a handful for a unskilled or beginning driver. It sure seem my cars are running way faster with brushless stock now than they were running 27 turn brushed motors a few years ago.

What would it take to make 21.5 turn brushless the entry level? Even an older driver with decreasing reactions doesn’t always need to run the fastest class. Currently we have a couple of the SoCal tracks running GT10 classes that are Stock Sedan with different bodies and spoked wheels. The speeds and setup are pretty much the same as Stock.

Anyone else out there think a 21.5 GT class could work? VTA cars welcome too. Basically just a 21.5 blinky class. All skill levels welcome but a slightly slower race.
__________________
Bruce "Moose" Riedinger
HB Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Dark side of the moon
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Moose View Post
What can we do as a hobby to make it less intimidating to race on-road? A decent 17.5 motor running in blinky mode can be a handful for a unskilled or beginning driver. It sure seem my cars are running way faster with brushless stock now than they were running 27 turn brushed motors a few years ago.

What would it take to make 21.5 turn brushless the entry level? Even an older driver with decreasing reactions doesn’t always need to run the fastest class. Currently we have a couple of the SoCal tracks running GT10 classes that are Stock Sedan with different bodies and spoked wheels. The speeds and setup are pretty much the same as Stock.

Anyone else out there think a 21.5 GT class could work? VTA cars welcome too. Basically just a 21.5 blinky class. All skill levels welcome but a slightly slower race.
Aren't you pretty much describing USGT? Thats what our 21.5 class is based on and it is proving to be very popular with beginners.
__________________
A700 17.5 Stock, USGT, CVTA, RCO Sportsman
WF D06 USVTA
trackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Odin544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kennewick, Washington
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default

Always funny how many people want to add yet another class for someone. Why should people have to put a little time into something to get good at it when we can just add another class for them so they can feel special. smh

If stock touring isn't the class for you, or any beginner, there are plenty of other classes out there that are slower. Zero reason to create more classes.
__________________
Xray - ORCA - Avid RC - MaxFX Paint
TriCitiesRC.com
Odin544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,907
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Moose, talk to your track owner or RD. A 21.5 or 25.5 entry level class would be a local track issue. Not something that would be national.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Dark side of the moon
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
Always funny how many people want to add yet another class for someone. Why should people have to put a little time into something to get good at it when we can just add another class for them so they can feel special. smh

If stock touring isn't the class for you, or any beginner, there are plenty of other classes out there that are slower. Zero reason to create more classes.
Not really, we only run two regular sedan classes, Stock and Sportsman (USGT 21.5, open tire). And someone isn't going to win in either of them unless they are national a-main material, this isn't trophy for everyone nonsense.
__________________
A700 17.5 Stock, USGT, CVTA, RCO Sportsman
WF D06 USVTA
trackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
DBM
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 607
Default

As a noob myself (got into the hobby 7 months ago in 17.5 blinky sedan), I found 17.5 very fast. I later got into Canadian VTA (CTA) and found it much more manageable for a noob. We run 21.5 blinky in CTA. Now, I typically promote CTA to new guys getting into the hobby.
__________________
VBC D08, D07, D06 Dynamics, Ghost EVO, Lightning 12v2, Serpent S100LT, Speed Passion SP1, Tamiya M05v2
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,167
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

It's a slow day so I will jump into the fray.

My opinion only. I don't think you need to add a class. I think for the sport to be healthy folks need to be in the right class FOR THAT RACE OR TRACK and the organizer or owner could police it. 17.5 Sportsman at one race or track could have completely different levels of folks running so they should go in the class with their peers.

I see the problem is when you take one car, let's just take TC for example. You have a guy running mod as well as 17.5 "just to get more track time". Or you get another that runs both 17.5 novice (in which he dominates) and then he runs 17.5 sportsman to "give it a try". They should run one class. If you want to be that guy that has to win then race the novice and have fun, or you could be that guy that wants to run with better people and try to get better, then go with that class.

I am not a fan of the every body needs a participation trophy but if we want the hobby to grow a weekend warrior shouldn't be racing with the guy that is at the track 7 days a week and RC is his life.

At our track the guys at the races police it very well. When they get better they are not afraid to join the expert class rather than just race sportsman and kill everyone. We have great separation and courtesy. It keeps folks wanting to come back and/or stay in the hobby.

I am of the example the OP talks about and I have zero desire to drive a different car, chassis, tire or body then what I am running now which is Sportsman TC 17.5 so for someone to come tell me I am not fast enough to be in that class and force me to buy spoked wheels, slower motor and a GT body, I am not interested. I will be a speed bump before I do that. I can tune my 17.5 down far enough to be able to handle and work on my lines.
__________________
TRF 418 - Team Powers 17.5, HobbyWing Stock Spec, Xpert servo
Xray T4 2016 - Trinity D4, HobbyWing Stock Spec, Ko Propo servo and radio
KustomRCGraphics.com (Best looking novice on the track)
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,221
Default

If a beginner runs a higher FDR in 17.5 that's pretty slow. They can just fit a bigger pinion once they feel more confident.
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
trigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,026
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Yes, 17.5 is too fast for beginners. It is equivalent to 19t brushed motors. 27t brushed motors were slower and had more motor brake which allowed for a more controllable pace. 17.5 brushless is way more torquey and have a more straight away speed which I think I too much for a novice.

I know most people here will flame me but you guys are probably more seasoned than those wanting to join the hobby. But all people see and want to be fast which isn't the right way to learn.

You gotta learn to crawl before you walk, then learn to run.
__________________
Minh Nguyen
[Maclan Racing][Xpert]
trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
Racing4Evo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,118
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
Yes, 17.5 is too fast for beginners. It is equivalent to 19t brushed motors. 27t brushed motors were slower and had more motor brake which allowed for a more controllable pace. 17.5 brushless is way more torquey and have a more straight away speed which I think I too much for a novice.

I know most people here will flame me but you guys are probably more seasoned than those wanting to join the hobby. But all people see and want to be fast which isn't the right way to learn.

You gotta learn to crawl before you walk, then learn to run.
Maybe it's best they to learn how to drive instead?
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,541
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

1/12 17.5 is a good speed, 1/2 the voltage
Easy to drive
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,330
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
1/12 17.5 is a good speed, 1/2 the voltage
Easy to drive
+1
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
Tech Addict
 
fox88gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: FDL, WI
Posts: 526
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Blinky 17.5 is too fast for some of the people who run 17.5, myself included. I stepped down to USGT (21.5). The cars look way better, and the racing is much closer because you don't need the hand/eye coordination of teenager who grew up on a Playstation.

17.5 is dead in my neck of the woods. Everyone went to USGT and the car count has skyrocketed.
__________________
"When you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna
"I dont like being overtaken. It's a sign of weakness." Jeremy Clarkson
"Leave me alone....I know what I'm doing." Kimi Raikkonen
I don't always race RC....but when I do....I prefer road course.
fox88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
nf_ekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Posts: 4,631
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default

VTA & USGT provide all of the "slow enough for the new guy" I think we need in on-road. I'd say 21.5 Tc isn't a bad idea as the "stock" class, but again there is USGT. If this was off-road (mega-popular) we could run a million different classes... but it's not- and more divisions seems to just lead to the watering down of on-road as a whole. Just my .02
__________________
Up the Irons \m/

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
Tech Master
 
DarthRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,099
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Going to hop on the bandwagon to say, this is why USVTA and USGT is so popular right now. TC didn't exist at my local track until we started running VTA. The cars don't have to be lightening quick to provide a challenge or for people to have fun.
__________________
For the Sontaran Empire!

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:06 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net