R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 159
Default Difference between hobbyking and big brand ESC and motors performance

Hi all, didn't find any suitable thread, sorry, if such existed;

So I have question, have been racing 1/8 for a while, and used only mamba and tekin combos, of course had also some problems, mostly burned down mamba motors.

But when compare them with Hobbyking that are 3 times cheaper, see no difference in performance;

This year I started 1/10 2WD and onroad stock touring class;
As this class is smaller and running indoors on high traction carpet I went cheap on esc and motor combo for my losi and bought HK motor and ESC;

My question - will there be any difference in performance if switch to REDS, Castle, Tekin or orion electronics?
I'm aware, that there definitely will be difference in reliability, but here my main question is - will car run faster, will gain power more smoothly etc...

Also if I knew that there will be performance and more readability added to car would switch from HK to any other brand ESC in 1/10 Parama class I'm also attending, thats why put this topic in onroad thread;
Motors used - 17.5T parma class and 10.5T buggy class, HK motors and esc
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by janisdaubergs; 11-11-2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: spelling
janisdaubergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,283
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janisdaubergs View Post
Hi all, didn't find any suitable thread, sorry, if such existed;

So I have question, have been racing 1/8 for a while, and used only mamba and tekin combos, of course had also some problems, mostly burned down mamba motors.

But when compare them with Hobbyking that are 3 times cheaper, see no difference in performance;

This year I started 1/10 2WD and onroad stock touring class;
As this class is smaller and running indoors on high traction carpet I went cheap on esc and motor combo for my losi and bought HK motor and ESC;

My question - will there be any difference in performance if switch to REDS, Castle, Tekin or orion electronics?
I'm aware, that there definitely will be difference in reliability, but here my main question is - will car run faster, will gain power more smoothly etc...

Also if I knew that there will be performance and more readability added to car would switch from HK to any other brand ESC in 1/10 Parama class I'm also attending, thats why put this topic in onroad thread;
Motors used - 17.5T parma class and 10.5T buggy class, HK motors and esc
Thanks in advance.
I have no problem with their motors or ESCs and am competitive. I have them in F1, Pro 10 and GT12 cars.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 497
Default

The difference is mainly price and quality control.

If your a really good driver then a better motor like a d4 would probably shave some time off your laps.
2uzferunner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,339
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03 View Post
....a better motor like a d4 would probably shave some time off your laps.
Driving a good line, making less mistakes (blowing corners, etc.), and doing it all consistantly shaves times off laps, not having a better motor (like your D4 example). I have seen guys in both electric and nitro with lesser equipment beat racers with top notch/top dollar equipment because of being a more consistant driver on the track. Fast isn't everything if you make tons of mistakes, your driving line around the track and your driving skills suck.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chi-Town West Burbs
Posts: 1,262
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Driving a good line, making less mistakes (blowing corners, etc.), and doing it all consistantly shaves times off laps, not having a better motor (like your D4 example). I have seen guys in both electric and nitro with lesser equipment beat racers with top notch/top dollar equipment because of being a more consistant driver on the track. Fast isn't everything if you make tons of mistakes, your driving line around the track and your driving skills suck.
+1 It will always come down to the "Nut behind the Wheel"
__________________
Goal Achieved....Not Dead Last.
mooby64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Driving a good line, making less mistakes (blowing corners, etc.), and doing it all consistantly shaves times off laps, not having a better motor (like your D4 example). I have seen guys in both electric and nitro with lesser equipment beat racers with top notch/top dollar equipment because of being a more consistant driver on the track. Fast isn't everything if you make tons of mistakes, your driving line around the track and your driving skills suck.

You conveniently left out the part where I said "if your a really good driver"...........
2uzferunner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 902
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

That's the thing, though. If you're only just starting out and can't drive a very good line every single lap, then you'll see even less of an upgrade going to more expensive electronics.

There is a difference between a R1Wurks 17.5 and a Turnigy Trackstar 17.5, but only if you have the skill to take advantage of it. If your laptimes look something like 12.9-13.3-14.0-12.8-13.2 etc (basically all over the place) it really doesn't matter which motor you have. However, when you start doing 12.5-12.5-12.6-12.5, then maybe you will!
__________________
Xray | Airtronics | R1Wurks LiPo | Hobbywing
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,167
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

I will answer your question rather than talk about driver ability because are not enough of those.

I have only run Tekin, LRP and Orion in my on and off road 1/10 scale stuff. I decided to try the HW in my 17.5 sportsman TC. I would never go back and spend more money. It has been great and so far zero issues or problems. I think the HW stuff is great. Other are great as well but for me this works great.
__________________
TRF 418 - Team Powers 17.5, HobbyWing Stock Spec, Xpert servo
Xray T4 2016 - Trinity D4, HobbyWing Stock Spec, Ko Propo servo and radio
KustomRCGraphics.com (Best looking novice on the track)
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,339
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03 View Post
You conveniently left out the part where I said "if your a really good driver"...........
A good driver will do well regardless of what they have (most of the time). Before my carpet track closed down, I have seen Ralph Burch stop by, take a kid's car (helping him out) with "not so great" electronics, and lay down lap times that beat the "fastest" guys with top notch ESCs, motors, etc. So, a good driver, with good knowledge of what he has, will know how to set it up, gear it, program it, and drive it to finish at or near the top.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,283
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

The Trackstar motors are ROAR approved, so they are built to a standard. That being said, I have a 10.5, 2x 21.5, 3x 13.5 and they run just as good as my Thunderpower motors. They do have a tendency to have more torque and do not rev as high, but when properly geared for top end don't run hot and can match speed with just about any brand motor in the 110' straight and keep up in the infield. Why aren't they more popular? I have no idea. I guess you have to spend more than twice as much on a name brand to have bragging rights. I bought them to try and don't regret my decision. If these burn up, I'll replace them with the same. For the new guy just starting out, they are a great value.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

You can read this thread, it touches the same theme, discount brand vs. high end brand.

Why is one ESC better than another?
__________________
Yokomo BD7 2016 Black Series - MuchMore Fleta Pro / MuchMore ZX - Highest DLP650 - Sanwa M12
Salkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
Tech Regular
 
oreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 269
Default my .02

I'd initially picked-up a Hobby King ESC(120a)......my train of thought is that it's a HobbyWing (120a) esc with a different case. For what it's worth, the HK case is slightly larger -aka a bigger foot print on the chassis; this may be important in 12th scale pan car because space is restricted in terms of optimal set-up. My previous esc was during the brushed era (Quantum Comp 2)- the relevance[ for me ] once again was my set-up for 12th scale pan car.
In any case , as generally a club racer, when the time comes for me to step up to a better esc ,I would not hesitate picking up a second HK or HW -price wise it is feasible/ practical- but eventually i'd like a Tekin(finances permiting.)
__________________
Rc 10L (x6)
(.......in 2010, I jus' may get to run one.)-Irrgang Racing Service;TeamCRP. R.I.P. Billy 105

Last edited by oreo; 11-12-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: .... I concur with Salkin.(there's more info in that thread)
oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 425
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
The Trackstar motors are ROAR approved, so they are built to a standard. That being said, I have a 10.5, 2x 21.5, 3x 13.5 and they run just as good as my Thunderpower motors. They do have a tendency to have more torque and do not rev as high, but when properly geared for top end don't run hot and can match speed with just about any brand motor in the 110' straight and keep up in the infield. Why aren't they more popular? I have no idea. I guess you have to spend more than twice as much on a name brand to have bragging rights. I bought them to try and don't regret my decision. If these burn up, I'll replace them with the same. For the new guy just starting out, they are a great value.
I ran a 17.5 and 21.5 HK in onroad this last season, am running the 17.5 for stock off road this winter. My cars are silly fast, run very cool and I could not be pleased more. I started investigating how to get the cheapest, competitive cars on the track for a local onroad club we are trying to keep alive. My $325 dollar S2, (that is $325 total...chassis, body, tires, servo, motor, hobbywing justock ESC) routinely put the smack down in Scale Spec and Stock TC against Awesomatix, Tamiya and Associated TC's. Yeah, it was nice to be competitive for way cheap and kind of a huge nenernener.

The reason those motors are not as popular come down to what are the tracks trying to sell. The hobbyking stuff does not benefit tracks as they are direct sell to consumers. I do know if we don't support hobby shops they close, so make sure you drop those awesome savings on $35 motors toward tires, track fees and Lunsford titanium screws (I just picked up a set for my B5M, dope!)
__________________
St. Vinnies Underground
imajerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,132
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I will concur with imajerky. i ran hk 21.5 all last summer. even won the series championship with the hk 21.5i ran all summer. not as much rpm's but lots of torque. i even ran against him in one of the series races and i had a awesomatix at the time. all his inexpensive stuff gave me a good run for the money and he beat me. comes down to driver experience and setup for sure. granted it was his home track and that helped alot. but, you cant deny that these motors are good. i am now running a 17.5 for stock this winter and i am very pleased witht eh performance. never breaks the 115 degree mark after 6 min. lots of torque and speed and i can keep up with the crowd. good buy IMO. no experience with esc's though.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,283
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default HW and HK

Don't get Hobbywing confused with HobbyKing.

Hobbywing used to make all of the old Speedpassion stuff. They now make their own high end products which are in cars competing for world championships. The 3.1 1S and 2S versions are pretty awesome and the price reflects it. They have a distributor Hobbywing North America

Hobbyking is the king of knockoffs and offers huges savings to the average hobbyist. Everything they sell looks like someone else's stuff and works similarly. They do have 2 US warehouses and their customer service is marginally slower.

And yes, I still spend a ton at the LHS.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:31 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0