R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Help needed to convert an inferno GT to electric

Hi,
I have an unused Kyosho Inferno GT nitro sitting on the bench, that I am thinking converting to electric, but I have a few questions:

Conversion set
I have looked at the set fro Kyosho KYOIFW451. It seems as a straight drop in. Any comments to this kit or recommendations to others?

Center diff:
It seems I need to loose the 2-speed center diff. Please advise what to do and which parts I need, if I go to single gear center diff, with or without diff locked, and if to kerp 2-speed, what to do with pinion

Motor ESC combo:
I am not looking for something killer.
I have a Castle Creations 3800 kv motor and Sidewinder SCT ESC on a HPI Blitz, which I am happy about. I run both 2s and 3s packs on this and it would be good to be able to reuse my packs. Should I just get this combo again or should I get something else? What do you recommend in the same price range?

Other recommendations?

Thanks

Last edited by Saxtoft; 11-08-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Saxtoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

anyone?
other forum better for this request?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I can speak in general terms about a nitro -> electric conversion.

1. Yes, the 2 speed will go. Not really needed due to the difference in power delivery between nitro and electric. Generally you run a center diff that is pretty stiff but does have some give to it (7k is a decent starting point but others may chime in with a more chassis specific recommendation.) Do not run it locked up.

2. If there is an electric conversion kit available, go for it. Much easier than trying to cobble something together and then run into parts availability later for something that was custom.

3. Battery. 3S is really the min I would recommend for a power source. You can always run your 2s in series to make a 4s pack as well (I do this for my 1/8 regularly). Higher cell count means more volts means less amps are needed. Less amps means happier electronics.

4. Motor and ESC. Depending where you are running (space, racing, etc) will determine what motor to use. Anything from a 2200-2650 works well imho (preferably sensored) but depending on area/speed/battery might be too much or not enough. The 2200kv is a good middle ground that lets you start with 3s and go to 4s if needed later for more speed. ESC - I do like the RX8 and the Hobbywing (as long as you run an external bec). Might give the nod to the hobbywing as its a bit smoother and cheaper. Both will do fine on 3s and 4s (and beyond if needed).

Hope this helps.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thanks
Will the 3800 castle creations motor and sidewinder SCT ESC not work?
Why different than on a short cource truck?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxtoft View Post
Thanks
Will the 3800 castle creations motor and sidewinder SCT ESC not work?
Why different than on a short cource truck?
Might work but will be asking alot of the sidewinder. With onroad applications you generate a ton more grip than off road which puts more strain on the electronics.

Next problem would be the added weight and rotating mass. 2s would be out of the question. 3s would be your only option and I'm not 100% sure how the 3800 would work.

Worst case, test it and let us know!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Maybe better to go for the Mamba max pro and the Neu 1415 then.
I am a little concerned with the can size of the 1515b in case I would go with the sidewinder 8.
Any light on that?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Hey, I did the exact same thing your doing last year and finish and sold it on ebay. My modification was actually keeping the 2 part transmission, and What I DID was I bought a mamba monster 2 By Castle Creation. Also your going to need a 0.6 mod Pinion gear, to match the original gears of the 2 part transmission Along with 2 Pinion gears..I used the Castle Pinion Gear, and purchased a second pinion that fit perfectly onto the mamba monster shaft., Also Last time I check...(which was like 1 year ago..) AMAZON had a seller, US Based Selling 1/8 kyosho parts. I forgot the name,, But im sure Google can find it for you.
Alexzheng028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxtoft View Post
Maybe better to go for the Mamba max pro and the Neu 1415 then.
I am a little concerned with the can size of the 1515b in case I would go with the sidewinder 8.
Any light on that?
MMP is a pretty good option and common in guys wanting to save weight. The 1415 should work as well (and be a little lighter than the larger full blown 1/8 motors).
Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

What about fitting the pinion.
The spur gear requires a mod 1 pinion as far as I can figure out, but mod 1 pinions are all for 5 mm shaft and the neu 1415 is 1/8" shaft.
Are there any pinions out there with mod 1 but for 1/8" shaft or do I have to use a reduction sleve?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
Tech Regular

EVERYTHING YOU NEED IS IN THIS THREAD ! I HAVE 2 CONVERSIONS MYSELF...a GT1 WITH THE OEM CONVERSION KIT WITH A MAMBA MONSTER 23/46 ON 4S TRACK CAR AND GT2 WITH CASTLE 1717 WITH TURNIGY 200 AMP ESC ON 8S !! ....BRUTAL...
The Kyosho Inferno GT/GT2 VE Race Spec ELECTRIC on road 1/8th thread
Old 01-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Thanks
I improvised and made an adapter to fit the 5 mm 1 MOD pinion 18T on the 1/8" shaft.
I have tried running this now on 3S and it is crazy fast and powerfull. I will try 4S, but I see no need to go there.
I the local hobby shop they were basically telling me that I did not know what I was doing fitting a 1/10 motor and ESC on a 1/8 car and it would not work. Clearly they were wrong and maybe just trying to wrestle another +200 EUR from me buying a 1/8 motor and ESC.
I will opload a video when I get around to it.
I do not see any issues in doing this fit.