R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post

Don't lunge into the next corner flat out after someone just overtook you in the last corner. You're not going to make it around the corner, but most likely take the other guy out when he slows down to take the corner. This is typical newbie aggressive behaviour.
I've seen/experienced this many times, and if you do it enough times, other drivers will think you are doing it intentionally. Don't be that land torpedo.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #17
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 300 (100%+)

Some drivers will have a whinge and a sulk about anyone and anything if they're not winning, I see it a lot, and it can be especially bad in the lower tier on road classes. Sometimes it's best just to let the baby have it's bottle.

Fry crack corn and I don't care,
Leela crack corn, I still don't care,
Bender crack corn and he is great!
Take that you stupid corn!

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:18 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

I would also love to share my experience to this mather.
First of all what i think is the mistake of being a projected item at the circuit is the following.
Most beginners come to a track and see how easy the fast guys go arround the track and think by themselves "what he can i can do better or i can be as fast as he is".
Most common mistake that beginners then make is to start with a motor that's too fast for them to handle well in all kinds of situations.
That mistake will make sure that the beginning pilot is not aware of the speeds or how fast it accelerates, causing collisions or staying to long at the perfect driving line.
When there's a new driver at my club i will recommend him to start with a slow motor and to drive smooth.
Everybody needs to learn but everybody should know it's own driving limits/skills.
My little girl is only 10 years old, but she drives more smooth and fair then most adult pilots.
Even though she isn't the best/fastest driver she Always clears the inside of the corners when a faster car comes behind her, that's how it should be learned and should be done.
It all starts with the learning proces and to realize that a faster motor isn't always the fastest at the track or the best way to learn R/C racing.

Still the fastest way to let someone pass you is to take the outside of the first upcoming corner, faster pilots Always take the inside.
Respect must come from both sides and when it does it will be a nice training or race for everybody.

This is just my opinion.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:17 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Don't lunge into the next corner flat out after someone just overtook you in the last corner. You're not going to make it around the corner, but most likely take the other guy out when he slows down to take the corner. This is typical newbie aggressive behaviour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
I've seen/experienced this many times, and if you do it enough times, other drivers will think you are doing it intentionally. Don't be that land torpedo.
Seriously, why does everyone do that?, it's frustrating as heck, like you can't make that corner on that line at half the speed, so why when we overtake do you suddenly try it?...

What I always say, drive smooth, and not erratic when someone faster is catching and getting ready to pass, it's usually easier to pass if you stick to your own line.
The problem then is don't be that land torpedo when they do make the pass, and stop with the actively trying to block as well, you see guys in quals who are a second or more a lap slower, who instinctively try and block the moment anyone catches them.

Also, stop whining everyone is hacking you when your new (or not so new), 9 times out of 10 your hacking just as bad, part of the driver learning is learning to pass and be passed, and then also learning to prevent yourself from being hacked, driving to avoid the carnage...
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #20
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try not to just let off the trigger or tap the brakes to help them pass. You'll do more harm than good. Let the faster guy know your intentions and maybe swing a little wide in the corner. Chances are, if you're new, you're doing this anyway and they should be able to make a clean pass. Be predictable, consistent, and try to communicate. We pretty much know who is who by their paint scheme, so I'm aware when the leader is closing...maybe try a different class if available? VTA is a great starting point.
Mark Mixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #21
Regional Moderator

Also, follow the faster racers' line...and learn why they are fast.
Mark Mixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #22
Tech Initiate

I had a run in with a local driver, he kept punting me. Once..OK twice OK but when it happened again and again we talked about it. After I took him out on purpose.

We talked about what happened and now we understand each other and the rest of the raceday was clean.

I have found that I am not an aggressive driver and I am there to have fun. Let the faster guy go and have a clean race. Alot of times when I get out of the way the other driver messes up and I get the position back plus 30ft.

Some racing lines get crossed and crashes happen. If you dive bomb the corner and hit, let the other driver have the position back. Then think what you could of done differently. Learn from your's and other's mistakes.
thesmogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here are my responses to the OP questions about aggressive driving

- If a faster car comes up behind a slower car going into a corner, should the slower car change his line or hold the line until after corner exit?

Ideally the slower car should yield the corner (unless it is for position), but it is the faster driver's responsibility to make a clean pass. Depending on the skill level of the slower driver, the faster driver should always be prepared to take evasive action. The faster driver should always give the slower driver an opportunity to yield, even if it holds them up for a corner or two.

- What should driver following do if car leading brakes earlier than expected?

The following car should always be prepared to take evasive action, as the following car should also have functioning brakes. Ideally the following car should leave enough of a gap between cars to avoid contact. The following car can also run a slightly different line to prevent contact from an unexpected "brake check".

- After rounding a corner driver comes to a couple of tangles cars and doesn't have time to avoid collision, what should driver do?

Unless you are racing in a demolition derby, you should do your best to avoid contact - which includes evasive driving, using your brakes, or at least lifting off the throttle. A good driver should always be aware of what is happening well in front of them and will be prepared to react accordingly. Since skill level varies, accidents will happen. If you honestly couldn't avoid the contact due to circumstances on the track, apologize to the other driver. A simple honest "I'm sorry" can go a long way.

- If I spin in a corner, I will sit still until car behind get around rather than pull out in front. Is this correct behavior?

If a driver loses control of his car, it is their responsibility to rejoin the racing in a safe manner. Some times you may have to wait for cars to pass before you can rejoin. Losing a few seconds to get back to racing can save lost seconds due to causing a secondary accident. However if you are sitting in the racing line or a vulnerable position on the track, do your best to move your car safely to a point where it won't create an accident (or verbally notify people where your car is so they can avoid you - if the race announcer hasn't already done this).

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 11-03-2014 at 10:34 AM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

If you want a Good example of what Not to do Watch the Orange Car (I know there are 2 but The one with the black roof not the black trunk) Through the sweeper when it's about to overtake the Dark red car.

Do not Do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPW0XSgQoVA

Start Watching at 2:50

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeadman View Post
If you want a Good example of what Not to do Watch the Orange Car (I know there are 2 but The one with the black roof not the black trunk) Through the sweeper when it's about to overtake the Dark red car.

Do not Do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPW0XSgQoVA

Start Watching at 2:50
Looks to me the dark red car with black hood is a really aggressive driver ,by far faster than the rest (outlaw motor lol) and just assumes he has the right away most every corner .... Now I watched it from beginning and only watched it for a few mins
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #26
Tech Master

Slow down to the pace that the car in front is running before you try to pass... Hard to always be a missle shooting the gaps and think it will work out. And remember the number of guys that are just trying to keep it between the boards.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mark Stiles

This is an often debated and frequently misunderstood topic, particularly with new racers. A year or two ago we had an influx of new drivers at the UK 1/12 nationals. The established 'old guard' had their driving etiquette pretty well figured out and everyone was happy. So we put together a brief document and gave it to everyone. It basically outlines 'the way we like to do things'. In general it was very well received, drivers were appreciative of knowing what was expected of them at a national level event, and subsequently our racing is of a very good standard. The document is available here;

http://www.brca.org/sites/www.brca.o...en%20Rules.pdf

BRCA 1/12 Electric Circuit Section Chairman
Mark Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stiles View Post
This is an often debated and frequently misunderstood topic, particularly with new racers. A year or two ago we had an influx of new drivers at the UK 1/12 nationals. The established 'old guard' had their driving etiquette pretty well figured out and everyone was happy. So we put together a brief document and gave it to everyone. It basically outlines 'the way we like to do things'. In general it was very well received, drivers were appreciative of knowing what was expected of them at a national level event, and subsequently our racing is of a very good standard. The document is available here;

http://www.brca.org/sites/www.brca.o...en%20Rules.pdf
Thank you Mark
BRCA Rocks !

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:21 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I have posted this to our club's Facebook page Thanks Mark

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Great thread as I'm always looking to become a better driver/racer. You can gain just as much respect at your local track for having good racing etiquette as others get for being fast.
Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote