Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is the best connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

Default what is the best connectors?

hi was wondering what connectors are best for lowest IR?

Deans plugs, tamiya plugs?

what bout those connectors that come standard on the esc? - (see pic)

i also heard about Anderson plugs that a guy was using....

Old 09-19-2005, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

the connector that comes standard on the esc's are tamiya connectors and are total junk. probably the best connectors if you have to use them are the deans and power poles (red and black ) ones. the best thing you could do would be direct solder your speedo to the battery.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:59 AM
Tech Regular

yeah in the above pic, i meant the ones attatched to the motor... you plug them together, and wrap the plastic around it, no soldering required, i was told solder has bad resistance, so the less soldering the better
Old 09-19-2005, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I believe thet Trinity has these tube type connectors as well as a few other companies. The originals were Corrally connectors. These are very good connectors also.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

nope you don't want to use those either they are junk. direct solder the wires to you motor if you use those you are asking for trouble and are going to melt stuff or burn it up.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Which are junk?
Old 09-19-2005, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

the stock connectors on the speedos are junk. yes Trinity has connectors that are similar but a whole lot better than what is pictured. yes they where origianlly called corally connectors (the ones like Trinity sells)
Old 09-19-2005, 05:32 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Donīt know of the Deans as nobody sells them here. But Iīm using the gold plated Corally connectors since they were released. Itīs the best connector I have seen up today and Team Orion and Robitronic sells the same. But beware of cheap copies, there are some similar connector which are not of same quality.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:32 AM
Tech Regular

I've tried the deans plug and banana plugs,they are both good.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Tech Addict

If you don't hard wire the following one's are the best: LRP or Acer (Powerpole).
First of all silver is the best conductor then copper then Gold. Gold has the advantage that it will not corrode. The corally type have a big resistance (the same as the Tamiya bullet motor connectors!) but they stay firmly in place and the twisted model even better but it has the same resistance, the problem is that they use a very thin gold plated spring steel plate to make the connection.
LRP have very little resitance becouse they are made of silver plated copper, they also are very small and light, their disanvantage is that the copper acts as a spring and they loosen up after a while but you can tighten them up.
Acer are also very good but are big and heavy and you can't solder them directly to the battery however they have a good spring mechanism.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:33 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Barry White
I donīt know the Acer connectors so I canīt say anything on that.
But where do you have youīre informations from regarding the Corally connectors? Thatīs not true.
The Corallys have a fraction of the resistance of the Tamiya connectors. I did some testing and measurement on connectors in the past so I know what Iīm speaking of. But you even donīt need that. You just have to watch the temperatures. The Tamiyas are getting hot even with 27T motors and the Corallys stay cool even with low wind modifieds. So you think they have the same high resistance?
And they donīt use springsteel but a special material for the connectors.
Maybe some cheap copies are made of steel but if you know the original Corallys itīs easy telling whatīs different.
And I think at least half of the European drivers is using the Corally type connectors.
The LRP connectors are very similar and the silver/gold plating doesnīt make that much difference. Silver may be a little better in conductance but it will corrode much easier.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Tech Adept

I agreed with V12. Silver and gold plating are very similar in ohmic resistance,only a fraction of tenths... And silver plating corrodes very quickly, then the resistance value gets bigger than gold.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

silver and gold ...silver and gold

Resistivity_____Conductivity_________Metal
1.591E-08______6.287E+07 ______Silver, Pure
1.664E-08______6.009E+07 ______Copper, Pure
2.463E-08______4.060E+07 ______Gold, Pure
2.826E-08______3.538E+07 ______Aluminum, Pure
3.918E-08______2.552E+07 ______Bronze, Commercial (Annealed)
4.660E-08______2.146E+07 ______Brass, Red (Annealed)
6.158E-08______1.624E+07 ______Cartridge Brass (Annealed)
[Resistivity = ohms/m, Conductivity = SIEMENS/m]
1.0m = 3.281ft

i dunno if this will help but
Old 09-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Tech Addict

The above measurements are for the pure stuff. You almost never get the pure stuff. Pure gold is too soft to be of any use, etc. Only 1% of other metals, in the pure metals, can change the resistance dramatically. And temperature changes the resistance. Hint. Do a Google search for "super conductors". Mercury has zero resistance at absolute zero temeratures.

Keep in mind that while solder may be bad conductor, it's much better than air. So it's better to have more solder and less air.

I use the Corally type connectors. They're really good, no wire dongles hanging from the batteries. They have little resistance and do not get loose in "accidents". I've seen fellow racers have problem with the LRP connectors, one bad hit on the boards and the car is dead. Standard Tamiya plugs are no good, but they're available with better connecting pins. That version of Tamiya plugs is actually quite good, as long as you're not running very low winds. Deans plugs are good, personally I don't like the hassle of having wires hanging from both sides of my battery packs.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by V12
Barry White
I donīt know the Acer connectors so I canīt say anything on that.
But where do you have youīre informations from regarding the Corally connectors? Thatīs not true.
The Corallys have a fraction of the resistance of the Tamiya connectors. I did some testing and measurement on connectors in the past so I know what Iīm speaking of. But you even donīt need that. You just have to watch the temperatures. The Tamiyas are getting hot even with 27T motors and the Corallys stay cool even with low wind modifieds. So you think they have the same high resistance?
And they donīt use springsteel but a special material for the connectors.
Maybe some cheap copies are made of steel but if you know the original Corallys itīs easy telling whatīs different.
And I think at least half of the European drivers is using the Corally type connectors.
The LRP connectors are very similar and the silver/gold plating doesnīt make that much difference. Silver may be a little better in conductance but it will corrode much easier.
I know the corally connectors are very user friendly and very widly used so most of the people don't even think about it. The spring part is simply spring steel and I am comparing them to the Tamiya motor conectors and not the Tamiya battery connectors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.